White Philly Cop Told to Lose Cornrows

Originally Posted by JayHood23

Originally Posted by seasoned vet

I'd expect all cops to have to low cuts to look professional.

- and what exactly is professional?
eyes.gif
As far as an officer professsional would be a low cut and minimal facial hair
why?????

Originally Posted by rufusmac23

eyes.gif
why?????
What do you mean why? Because that's what "professional" is viewed as. I don't know why people act so dumb about situations likethese. It is what it is, complaining isn't going to change it anytime soon.

Originally Posted by JsindaA

eyes.gif
why?????
What do you mean why? Because that's what "professional" is viewed as. I don't know why people act so dumb about situations like these. It is what it is, complaining isn't going to change it anytime soon.
who's acting dumb???and in what situation???
i'm just wondering why a low cut and minimal facial hair is considered professional for a police officer in nt's society......would otherwise affecthis job performance
btw. ....complaining isn't synonymous for opening questioning the status quo.......and contrary yo your belif that is usually the first step in change

eyes.gif
why?????
What do you mean why? Because that's what "professional" is viewed as. I don't know why people act so dumb about situations like these. It is what it is, complaining isn't going to change it anytime soon.
i'm just wondering why a low cut and minimal facial hair is considered professional for a police officer in nt's society......would otherwise affect his job performance
btw. ....complaining isn't synonymous for opening questioning the status quo.......and contrary yo your belif that is usually the first step in change
its not just nt society, its society period. same grooming procedures apply in the military. look it up

who looks more professional?

Officer%20Courtney%20Dickerson2.jpg

l111922-100.jpg

police_officer_-_smaller_crop380w.jpg

if you measured the white guys hair stands, and told the black guy to grow his hair out to that length, would he look "unprofessional"?

i know that these policies and mindset exists.....that's obvious
what i'm asking is why??????

Originally Posted by J Burner

I'd expect all cops to have to low cuts to look professional. Why does everything always have to be about race?
Because you know damn well if the report said a white superior told a black officer that his cornrows were unacceptable, the NAACP and The good Reverend Jackson would be screaming racism at the top of their lungs.
Vanore says officers' hats must fit "in a military manner" over their hair, and that Strain's hat did not. Strain got a haircut; he declined comment to the paper.
Vanore recalled only one black officer with braids in the past several years. He says that officer also was told to get a haircut.

....just saying.

I don't know where you live but here in the nations capital, you won't be a cop with braids, maybe security but not a cop. I had to cut my hair beforeI took this government job. Its proper protocol.

Notice how there are no facts to back up the hearsay the article alluded to about other cops having braids, and the white cop himself declines to comment aswell. If there were any truth to the allegations, i'm sure the officer would have no problem letting it be known.

I'd expect all cops to have to low cuts to look professional. Why does everything always have to be about race?
Because you know damn well if the report said a white superior told a black officer that his cornrows were unacceptable, the NAACP and The good Reverend Jackson would be screaming racism at the top of their lungs.
And it would be all over the news.

eyes.gif
why?????
i'm just wondering why a low cut and minimal facial hair is considered professional for a police officer in nt's society......would otherwise affect his job performance

Come on.. seriously though...? A police officer is a public defender, employed by the government/people. They are held to a higher standard and are supposed touphold an image of professionalism. Long hair is and always has been deemed unprofessional in the work force so to think this should be any different forwhatever reason, race or gender, is just silly. For further reasoning, female police officers have to wear their hair up so that it doesn't obstruct theface or become a crutch while they're on the field (ie. someone pulling on their hair in a combative situation.) Cornrows are difficult to maintain and canbecome a nuisance, hence they are deemed inappropriate, especially for a job like this where simple is better/safer and their attention is solely on theirduty.

You dudes really do argue just to argue. If you don't realize why this isn't professional already, you're in for a rude awakening when you hit thereal world.

JayHood23 wrote:

JayHood23 wrote:

JayHood23 wrote:

eyes.gif
why?????

its not just nt society, its society period. same grooming procedures apply in the military. look it up

i have to agree with jay on this one. regardless of anyone's opinion on what looks clean and/or professional, a short cut and minimal facial is consideredto be professional in the corporate world, law enforcement, military and in education. although i dunt agree with this standard the truth is the truth.

Originally Posted by AF1 Beast

Ehh that's kind of true.
But police have the same requirements as the military when it comes to grooming so I don't see how he didn't see this coming
Didn't see what coming? How about the black officers with cornrows?
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by igotthatfire247

Ehh that's kind of true.
But police have the same requirements as the military when it comes to grooming so I don't see how he didn't see this coming
nerd.gif
the black officers had to cut theirs too. in all my 23 years of living ive never seen a cop with braids or long hair

Originally Posted by igotthatfire247

Ehh that's kind of true.
nerd.gif
the black officers had to cut theirs too.
Well, then, case closed.
smokin.gif

eyes.gif
why?????
I wasn't exactly referring to you by saying people....because you aren't the only person who thinks like this. Simply put, as someonealready pointed out, long hair is not viewed as professional. Not that I agree with it, it's just how things work. You don't know anything about mybeliefs however if you believe that this mindset is going to change anytime soon....you are sadly mistaken. Like alot of things in American culture it'sbeen going on for years. You can't just walk into a fortune 500 company with dreads and long beard thinking you are gonna get a job, and if by some chanceyou DO....those dreads will be coming out immediately. Like I said I don't really agree with it, but I recognize it as the general rule.

Oh yeah?
Then the NAACP needs to hit up the military real quick.
laugh.gif

eyes.gif

- it was a rhetorical question, you're missing the point. and
roll.gif
@ youthinking i needed a descriptive answer to what society says professional is.
eyes.gif

- this clown again?

- i mean damn dude, could you at least try to have some sort of rational thought behind your posts? ftr, being a police officer is similar to the military uniform/apperance wise. everyone knows in those professions one is expected to have a somewhat clean and short hairstyle. so, a white superior telling a black officer to lose his cornrows would be looked at as standard procudure, and would not be looked at as racism.....by anyone, even the good Rev. Jackson.

- its comments like these that show you have NO IDEA what the $+*% you are talking about.

eyes.gif

roll.gif
Ok buddy. Let us know when you would like to come back to earth, and we can have a discussion about reality. If I posted this article and swapped the race of the two cops, I guarantee at least 10 pages of NT calling the superior officer a racist.

- jesus christ. back to earth eh? guarantee eh? you conservatives are truely a trip
smh.gif

......oh wait:

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

Vanore says officers' hats must fit "in a military manner" over their hair, and that Strain's hat did not. Strain got a haircut; he declined comment to the paper.
Vanore recalled only one black officer with braids in the past several years. He says that officer also was told to get a haircut.

....just saying.

- hmmm, seems we must have missed the Jesse Jackson/ Al Sharpton protest that day
nerd.gif

eyes.gif
why?????

That's how things are. Unless you work at Google or something, most Fortune 500s, Consulting firms, Law firms, Medical Practices.Financial Institutions,etc.
Short hair and minimal facial hair are the norm in a professional environment. We aren't talking about the guys who work @ Footaction in your local mall.It seems many NTers either don't work in a professional environment or never intend to. Which is fine, however you need to realize that professionalAmerica has a few standards.

I'm black and I realize if I want to get past the first round of interviews, braids are not going to help. Image is everything especially if yourprofession has heavy client interaction. You can dead a deal before you hand the investor your pitchbook if you don't look proper.

Sure you'll see some guys at work with thick beards and @#$!, but you won't find these characters above the 2nd or 3rd level of the firm.

Originally Posted by GUILLERMO GUTIEREZ

who looks more professional?

Officer%20Courtney%20Dickerson2.jpg

l111922-100.jpg

police_officer_-_smaller_crop380w.jpg

if you measured the white guys hair stands, and told the black guy to grow his hair out to that length, would he look "unprofessional"?

- hmmm.......
nerd.gif
but of couse no one wants to think beyond what we havebeen trained to think
eyes.gif

- its always professional, until its not. its always the way its supposed to be, until it not. it hasnt always been this way, things change over time. whatwas once considered appropriate toady was once inappropiate. and who gets to break these rules? who gets to set the new standards of what is and isntconsidered professional?? hmmm??.......

Did everyone saying the other black officers had to cut theirs miss this

"The Philadelphia Daily News reported Monday that Officer Thomas Strain was put on desk duty this month because of the braids, even though the paperreported dozens of black officers wear cornrows."

I'm trusting the paper over the one cops memory, sorry. Whatever the rule is it should be enforced equally..

Back
Top Bottom