WHO declares Monkeypox outbreak a global emergency

Maybe banning any visitors from those 12 countries would be a good idea but our government doesn't care.

Hopefully this ends up like the Murder Hornet invasion of 2021 and the millions of palm-sized, flying spiders that were supposed to be invading the East coast.

7HZc.gif

:lol: :lol:

Maybe banning any visitors from those 12 countries would be a good idea but our government doesn't care.

Even with bans this stuff could still get out. Globalization has made it damn near impossible to completely isolate entire countries.

People say our government doesn't care then don't take measures set by public health to protect our society.

Muh freedomz

Last edited:
Yea it's almost impossible to just shut down borders in 2022 unless you're willing to take a massive economic hit.
Just got to hope the general public and "leaders" do the right thing in whatever situation this puts us in. Which basically, has no chance of happening.

That latest update from the CDC and WHO about sex among gay men increasing the chances of monkeypox spreading finna put the battery in the back of a lot of bigots

We are about to get a taste of what happened in the 80s with HIV

Last edited:
I also come in ignorance, but wouldn’t it be better to say “people who have anal sex” instead specifically saying “men who have sex with men”? I feel like that gives fuel to the homophobes.

I think they just mean it’s spreading through the gay community, and most of the folks catching it so far are gay men. Agree it could be worded better though. How they worded it does give it that gay disease AIDS vibe.

Don’t believe any of the minimizers. Monkeypox is (at least somewhat) airborne, though primary route of transmission is contact. The majority of cases have been found in “men who have sex with men” because that’s who they have been testing.

Because it's not a sexually transmitted disease. It's prolonged skin-to-skin contact.
Oh. How come it’s being messaged as if it’s only hitting the gay community.

I guess I’m just confused. If anal sex ain’t the main cause, shouldn’t it be running through all communities like crazy?

Oh. How come it’s being messaged as if it’s only hitting the gay community.

I guess I’m just confused. If anal sex ain’t the main cause, shouldn’t it be running through all communities like crazy?
The gay community is generally more sexually active, so just by statistics they're taking up the majority of cases. The messaging really has to be changed to "those who are very sexually active or has multiple sexual partners" though. The current messaging just gives backwards idiot right wingers more hateful bs to spew

The messaging needs to change from having ANYTHING to do with sexual contact because it allows parents to wrongfully assume that their kids are perfectly safe. In African countries where Monkeypox is endemic, children in rural areas are commonly infected, and also tend to have some of the most severe outcomes. There is no reason to believe it will be any different here. It's not an STD, it's a virus that can be spread in many different ways, the majority of which are not being given enough attention.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom