WHO declares Monkeypox outbreak a global emergency

The gay community is generally more sexually active, so just by statistics they're taking up the majority of cases. The messaging really has to be changed to "those who are very sexually active or has multiple sexual partners" though. The current messaging just gives backwards idiot right wingers more hateful bs to spew

yah this sounds dumb reason to obfuscate.

i think you can say

monkeypox is mostly spreading in the gay community right now.
and gay men men should be especially vigilant.

and

there is nothing inherently dirty about gay men.
it's just a smaller community, where there is skin to skin contact happening often enough to cause spread

I'm glad it's not airborne

Sarcasm?

FYWdU9PWQAErEBp

unless im missing something I don't see anything in this that says that
aerosoles are a significant driver of transmission.

and like it seems like we can just use our brains,
if it really was "airborne," gay men wouldn't be accounting for such a large percentage of the cases.

an infected gay man should be walking around, taking the bus,
going to work infecting other non gay people.

unless im missing something I don't see anything in this that says that
aerosoles are a significant driver of transmission.

and like it seems like we can just use our brains,
if it really was "airborne," gay men wouldn't be accounting for such a large percentage of the cases.

I didn't say significant, but it is obviously airborne if air samples were positive. Gay men are a large percentage of cases because that's who is being tested. In many places you literally cannot be tested (or vaccinated) unless you are a gay man. Just like early 2020 when they were only testing people who traveled from Wuhan, yet NY cases were mostly seeded from European travel.

"Monkeypox virus is a completely different virus than the viruses that cause COVID-19 or measles. It is not known to linger in the air and is not transmitted during short periods of shared airspace. Monkeypox spreads through direct contact with body fluids or sores on the body of someone who has monkeypox, or with direct contact with materials that have touched body fluids or sores, such as clothing or linens. It may also spread through respiratory secretions when people have close, face-to-face contact.

In the current monkeypox outbreak, we know that those with disease generally describe close, sustained physical contact with other people who are infected with the virus. We continue to study other possible modes of transmission, such as through semen.

Prior studies of monkeypox outbreaks show that spread of monkeypox virus by respiratory secretions appears uncommon. Most cases of monkeypox report close contact with an infectious person. While we do not know with certainty what role direct physical contact has versus the role of respiratory secretions, in instances where people who have monkeypox have travelled on airplanes, no known cases of monkeypox occurred in people seated around them, even on long international flights."

"Monkeypox virus is a completely different virus than the viruses that cause COVID-19 or measles. It is not known to linger in the air and is not transmitted during short periods of shared airspace. Monkeypox spreads through direct contact with body fluids or sores on the body of someone who has monkeypox, or with direct contact with materials that have touched body fluids or sores, such as clothing or linens. It may also spread through respiratory secretions when people have close, face-to-face contact.

In the current monkeypox outbreak, we know that those with disease generally describe close, sustained physical contact with other people who are infected with the virus. We continue to study other possible modes of transmission, such as through semen.

Prior studies of monkeypox outbreaks show that spread of monkeypox virus by respiratory secretions appears uncommon. Most cases of monkeypox report close contact with an infectious person. While we do not know with certainty what role direct physical contact has versus the role of respiratory secretions, in instances where people who have monkeypox have travelled on airplanes, no known cases of monkeypox occurred in people seated around them, even on long international flights."

This all seems eerily familiar to early 2020 with the aerosol transmission minimizing. No, this is not COVID, but we are fooling ourselves to think it's an STD or only affects gay men.

I didn't say significant, but it is obviously airborne if air samples were positive. Gay men are a large percentage of cases because that's who is being tested.

wut?
who cares if by some strict sense there are particles of it in the air?

when people say "airborne" they mean can I get infected via aerosol
not can you "detect monkey pox in an air sample"

if aresols aren't driving transmission telling people it's airborne is just confusing people for no reason.

In many places you literally cannot be tested (or vaccinated) unless you are a gay man. Just like early 2020 when they were only testing people who traveled from Wuhan, yet NY cases were mostly seeded from European travel.

We report 528 infections diagnosed between April 27 and June 24, 2022, at 43 sites in 16 countries. Overall, 98% of the persons with infection were gay or bisexual men,

If it really were the case that all of these 16 countries they were only testing gay men.
you don't think they would have caught that lil detail?

This all seems eerily familiar to early 2020 with the aerosol transmission minimizing. No, this is not COVID, but we are fooling ourselves to think it's an STD or only affects gay men.

how about this
just be clear about the current data, and don't confuse people?

from what we know now, monkeypox is primarily spread through prolonged skin to skin contact.

most of the spread has been via sex, and mostly within the gay community.

gay men should be especially vigilant.

and if we get evidence that it's spreading via the air, then update the guidance.
but don't tell people it's "airborne" when we don't have evidence aerosols are driving spread.

Where are the #'s that support this?

Seems very, "Gays love harder" - ish.

huh? this a serious question? :lol:

One of my best friends is an attractive gay guy. I lived with him for three years. Gay men aren't as sexually active as you think. But in all fairness he was super picky :rofl:

Da **** is going on this page right now :smh: :lol:

Same thing that happened in the first pages of the COVID thread. People want to believe they aren't at risk so they minimize the transmission characteristics to make themselves feel better. The truth is that we are in a period of exponential growth of cases and most of the transmission that is currently occurring won't be detected for several weeks. We are in the midst of another pandemic whether people want to believe it or not.

Same thing that happened in the first pages of the COVID thread. People want to believe they aren't at risk so they minimize the transmission characteristics to make themselves feel better. The truth is that we are in a period of exponential growth of cases and most of the transmission that is currently occurring won't be detected for several weeks. We are in the midst of another pandemic whether people want to believe it or not.

Lolwut man? :lol:

I'm not tryna play sneaker forum epidemiologist with you,
I have no idea what will happen, maybe it will mutate and we'll all have monkey pox in a week for all I know. :lol:

But you keep making claims that aren't supported by the current evidence.

it's like you're racing to be the first one to panic, slow your roll.

if we do get evidence of significant air borne transmission
there will be plenty of time for panic.

Where are the #'s that support this?

Seems very, "Gays love harder" - ish.
There's literally scientists who've talked about this. There's no risk of pregnancy so more unprotected sex is one major reason.
Don't take a half a sentence out of my response and try to paint it as I have something against the gay community. I literally include how the gay community shouldn't be targeted nor stigmatized in my response.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom