Who is the greatest Hip-Hop performer? vol. this should be interesting

definitely kanye..his stage presence was always there even before all the runaway ballet dancers and %*+%+@$#

Nothing compares to seeing The Roots in a smaller venue. You can tell they absolutely love what they do.

The GITD and WTT tours are prob 2 of the best shows I've ever been to no matter which genre,not just hip-hop so I'll have to say 'Ye

Kanye

Busta

Jay

DMX

Whoever said Nas needs to log off. He's the GOAT but live? Talib Kweli outperformed him as an opening act. 
laugh.gif

JAY-Z NO CONTEST

I've known people who aren't even Hov fans(not sure how this is possible) who are just blown away by how amazing he is live

Nas is iffy. I saw him once with a live band and another time at Rock The Bells....RTB was better because Pete Rock and Primo DJd his set.

The Wu are pretty good as well....Mos Def too.

Originally Posted by Antidope

JAY-Z NO CONTEST

I've known people who aren't even Hov fans(not sure how this is possible) who are just blown away by how amazing he is live

iv been to a jay show and he was way outshined by 50 cent who performed before him

The Roots.

Kanye puts on a great show because of show production, but I wouldn't say he's the greatest performer.

Same kind of applies for Jay. Plus he'll usually have some ill special guests.

Originally Posted by TennHouse2

Originally Posted by Antidope

JAY-Z NO CONTEST

iv been to a jay show and he was way outshined by 50 cent who performed before him
same here, it wasnt even close

Old head checkin' in. Run DMC remains the best live hip hop performer I've seen especially in an arena. I've also seen them in large club type venues & they still rocked the place. The older Roots incarnation with Rahzel & bassist extraordinaire Hub is a close second. De La Soul is somewhat underrated. I'd add A Tribe Called Quest especially in the 90's. Lastly the Beastie Boys weren't too bad either. I've seen RUN DMC 4 times back in the day, The Roots about 7-8, De La & ATCQ about 5-6 times.

I know one of the worst groups I've ever seen was Wu-Tang (after seeing them 3 times over the years). It was like the Steve Harvey stand-up in Kings of Comedy. They already had a bunch of members but then they had a bunch of hype men & boys from their various entourages with mics too.

David Malitz from the Washington Post:

The Roots, an ensemble so tight it transcends genre and demands inclusion in the best-live-band discussion.

Trust me...do yourself a favor and go see them live. It's an amazing experience.

Black Thought in general is a gifted MC in terms of delivery, lyricism, & performance. In addition to the Roots performances, that live mixtape he did with J Period where he did a bunch of hip hop classics was on point, especially Juice (Know The Ledge)...

Jay must've gotten better because he was hot garbage at the Hard Knock Life Tour. Dude just stood there and walked around a little bit. I'd say that Busta has to be up there as far as performers though....dude's energy is CRAZY. Meth & Red stand out to me too.

I'd definitely agree with The Roots. They have a great live show. Seen them five times and have never been disappointed. Tribe was fantastic the one time I saw them. De La puts on a hell of a show. But for me the best Hip-Hop performance I saw without question was The Fugees when they toured for The Score. Wyclef killed it and Lauryn was impeccable. They shut it down and that was after The Roots just performed. That whole show that night was unbelievable. 

Originally Posted by jc619er

I'd definitely agree with The Roots. They have a great live show. Seen them five times and have never been disappointed. Tribe was fantastic the one time I saw them. De La puts on a hell of a show. But for me the best Hip-Hop performance I saw without question was The Fugees when they toured for The Score. Wyclef killed it and Lauryn was impeccable. They shut it down and that was after The Roots just performed. That whole show that night was unbelievable. 
Damn, I forgot about the Fugees. I didn't see them when they toured in support of The Score but I did see them open for Tribe during the Blunted On Reality era. They were pretty good. But Lauryn Hill during the Miseducation tour was great too. I saw here twice during that tour & she (along with her band) killed it. I typically don't like hypemen, but the chubby dude she had working 'wit her was aiight too. Damn, took me back for a minute...

Is OP asking who the greatest solo Hip Hop performer is? I'm confused because people are listing a bunch of groups like The Roots,Run DMC,ATCQ and Wu Tang Clan but I thought OP was asking who's the greatest single performer. 
If it's a solo act then I'll still give it to 'Ye. Both times I've seen him he put on 2 of the best shows I've ever been to and not just because of the stage production. Everything was perfect from the effects to his stage presence and everything. He knows how to own a crowd better than just about everyone in Hip hop and is one of the best performers in all of music imo. I'd love to see him go stadium status once in his career ala Jay Z/Eminem.

The best Hip hop group I've ever seen live is probably 

_VDL1965.jpg

Last summer. They came the year before but I didn't get to go but I heard that they absolutely shut it down from everyone I know so once I heard that they were coming back I couldn't miss it. The best $50 I've spent in a while and one of the best concerts I've ever been to.

They're one of the best bands to hear live in all of Music,not just hip hop imo. Hope they come back again this year.

Back
Top Bottom