WHOA! Ryan Lochte's sister goes Overboard Vol. pun intended

Come on. Yeah, it was a lame attempt. Yeah, Chinese don't speak out. So what? She ain't stopping me from getting money. *shrugs*. Whats an apology going to do? If she ain't giving me a BJ for being sorry, I don't care. Keep the jokes coming, it ain't stopping me from eating. It's only accepted as even an "attempt" at comedy because it's offensive, so just don't be offended. She is riding the coat tails of her brother and Ryan Lochte actually got his time beaten by a 16yr old Chinese girl. Still not eating more or less, carry on.

This mentality is probably the reason why Asian Americans don't speak up. Asian Americans, though a large group, do not have the same power that some other minority groups have, so they don't really command the same respect. Even if Asian Americans have a voice, it will fall on deaf ears. The media doesn't care, as big as the Asian community is, they don't look at them as being a part of the main audience base, and they are not a part of their financial backing; thus, the opinions of Asians have no real power over the media. That's why Asian Americans won't voice up, they think it's useless and at the end of the day, a joke will not make them eat more or less.

Also, it's well known that comedians and even the media, likes to test it's limits. If they can get away with racial jokes/stereotypes once, it will keep happening from different outlets and it slowly becomes socially acceptable.

And another reason why no one has spoke up, most of the Asian population in the United States are probably first generation immigrants, so they are not exposed to these stereotypes and do not understand them anyway. Things will change with the future generations.

I don't think what I said is why Asian Americans don't speak up. I just felt this specific situation shouldn't be taken seriously. She is not getting at any individual, she didn't hurt anyone. She is pulling a publicity stunt and guess what? It's working. You want a voice for us against her? That's free promotion for her. Asian Americans need to voice out when they are really attacked, when individuals get hurt. In cases of what happened to Pvt. Danny Chen is when we need to be heard.
http://niketalk.com/t/323716/8-us-troops-charged-in-death-of-gi
We have 3 pages in 17hrs of outrage over a poor attempt at comedy and fame. We have 3 pages in 7 months in a thread that has a real problem.

It's not bad press for him, it's just bad press for her.

Yea, I just meant theyre brother/sister so they are cut from the same clothe to a certain extent. Media questions her values and how that relates back to her brother

Also, yes the Asian-American voice doesnt garner much attention/respect

^
The guy is a doofus and people like him because he parties. What his sister says won't affect people's perception of him much unless he says similar things himself. People know you can't control what your family does or says.

I'm Asian-American and i've heard it all. I don't care what an Olympic swimmer's sister says.

Yea, I just meant theyre brother/sister so they are cut from the same clothe to a certain extent. Media questions her values and how that relates back to her brother

dont agree with this at all

Last edited:
Huh? Man shut up

Chi*k is a word used to describe the ways Asian peoples eyes are shaped, black doesn't actually describe anything about "black" people so why is chi*k racist but black not...I personally don't like being called black

Chi*k is a word used to describe the ways Asian peoples eyes are shaped, black doesn't actually describe anything about "black" people so why is chi*k racist but black not...I personally don't like being called black
if you're black, im calling you black.

the only connotations that come with that are the ones you make up in your own neurotic mind.

Last edited:
If only I knew who Ryan Lochte was . honestly who cares i dont know why they label it as his sister this his sister that, he didnt do anything whoever it is its all a reflection on her

If only I knew who Ryan Lochte was . honestly who cares i dont know why they label it as his sister this his sister that, he didnt do anything whoever it is its all a reflection on her

I agree, and I didn't know the video was from 08, Why are they making such a big deal out of it in 2012?

Maybe because he went to the Olympics and won multiple Medals including Gold, If he hadn't the video would be irrelevant like it was for 4 years.

Didnt care about it when it happened, Don't care about it know...

if you're black, im calling you black.

the only connotations that come with that are the ones you make up in your own neurotic mind.
Not really. I can go to any news site right now and if there's an article on crime or something stupid like the LeBron X, all I have to do is look at the racially motivated comment section. There have been many occasions in which people would use "the blacks" in a negative connotation instead of monkeys, thugs, animals, etc.

^That's more of how they are saying it (or how they think they are saying) it more than the actual word. Knowing the type of people who make those comments, they're probably contorting their face with some silly grimace while slamming their fists onto a table. You can make any word/phrase offensive if you do that.

Last edited:
people say "the whites" or "whites" all the time.

dudes in here get mad when they're called black, dudes in here get mad when they're called African American, cant win with some of yall.

Some of you just want to be mad. You specifically look for reasons to generate that emotion. thats all it is. im not sure why, probably due to the massive chip on your shoulders that many of you are born with, but its true.

Last edited:
people say "the whites" or "whites" all the time.

dudes in here get mad when they're called black, dudes in here get mad when they're called African American, cant win with some of yall.

Some of you just want to be mad. You specifically look for reasons to generate that emotion. thats all it is. im not sure why, probably due to the massive chip on your shoulders that many of you are born with, but its true.

"whites" is also racist by definition....y can't we just be American we are all in America

:lol: :lol: how warped is your mind exactly? That sounds silly as hell

My mind is warped but people call everybody that's dark skin no matter what ethnicity theyre from "black".... Ur mind is the one that's warped

Who are all these people being called black exactly, besides the ones who actually have come from black/African-American descent? That just seems like a random generalization you're making to try to prove your failing point. If you think "black" is used as the same way "colored" is/was, then that may have to do with how you grew up yourself. I don't know, maybe you're from Mississippi or Kentucky somewhere.

YOU cant even define "black", so why should I?

The way black is used today is basically the same way colored was used in the past... I'm not "black" my skin is brown ... I'm American

So what exactly are you, black, African-American, Mexican, Hispanic...see where I'm going here? You're pretty much opening another can of worms here.

Well, you said "I'm not 'black', my skin is brown". I assumed you were still confused, cause usually when you hear phrases just as "Brown Pride", that's something that Mexicans/Hispanics mention. I do agree with the part about not being from Africa and whatnot, so, at least you have at least some semblance of what your are. So yea, a lot of us are Americans here, just can act like everybody is the same thing.

Last edited:
Who are all these people being called black exactly, besides the ones who actually have come from black/African-American descent? That just seems like a random generalization you're making to try to prove your failing point. If you think "black" is used as the same way "colored" is/was, then that may have to do with how you grew up yourself. I don't know, maybe you're from Mississippi or Kentucky somewhere.
So what exactly are you, black, African-American, Mexican, Hispanic...see where I'm going here? You're pretty much opening another can of worms here.

I'm American y do u have to put Hispanic,African,Mexican in front of American..I never been to Africa I never been to Mexico I'm mutha fu**in American
American%20Eagle%20Flag.jpg

People don't call "white" people European-American , or Italian/German American and ya not "more" American than us so chill wit the passive racism..that's all I ask

Originally Posted by Kareem the Dream

dont agree with this at all

but why? Am I reaching by saying if you grow up together, youll be raised with the same/similair morals and values and life lessons as youre sibling?

With the exception of non-traditional circumstances ex. lived with different parents, or whatever else..

Please enlighten me..

Last edited:
^
It's difficult to assume that with siblings. It's true that they get brought up with the same ideas but that doesn't mean they won't diverge. You see so many examples of siblings being totally different from each other and viewing things differently. I see the world very differently from my brother and sister.

Back
Top Bottom