Why can't they play with no helmets & pads in american football? vol. footy, rugby

I like rugby but dont lie to yourself man, thats a different breed of athletes. NFL dudes are a lot bigger and athletic.

Although not using the helmet as a weapon is a good idea

We werent as big as NFL players, but me and my buddies played school yard tackle football as youngin's.... No one ever got seriously hurt..... nothin but a few scrapes and bruises. No one in their right mind is gonna "lead with his head" or hit you at full speed without protective gear.... I think it'd be interesting....

Because no one wants Ray Lewis to kill anyone else.

wink.gif

Rugby definitely forces you to grapple properly. I love it, but there's a reason why athletes wear pads and a helmet in American Football. Besides, comparing rugby to American Football is apples to oranges. Just appreciate both and move on.

This is a nice attempt at trolling, but it's still hilarious. Both sports are tough as hell, and back in high school I even went to a couple rugby games, and that &@^#'s pretty intense.
On the flipside LOL, the the uniforms just look silly to me based on the type of sport rugby is. You have all that contact and stuff and you may as well be wearing a distance runner's
track uniform.

Originally Posted by f3DJam

I like rugby but dont lie to yourself man, thats a different breed of athletes. NFL dudes are a lot bigger and athletic.

Bigger I'll give you but they're not more athletic. It's a different game - like I said earlier rugby players have to play the whole game so can't just be huge and strong - they have to have great cardiovascular fitness too.

But, they're still huge - just not covered in pads.

Originally Posted by Peep Game

On the flipside LOL, the the uniforms just look silly to me based on the type of sport rugby is. You have all that contact and stuff and you may as well be wearing a distance runner's track uniform.
They're wearing shorts and a tough fitted jersey - what should they be wearing? That's a fairly normal outfit for a sport - football uniforms are pretty unlike anything else in the world.

to the dudes saying rugby guys aren't that big, have y'all ever watched a real rugby game? like an australia v new zealand game? just as big and powerful (not including nose tackles and OL...obviously).

but like what's been said, the games are different. the collisions differ.

Originally Posted by DeadsetAce

to the dudes saying rugby guys aren't that big, have y'all ever watched a real rugby game? like an australia v new zealand game? just as big and powerful (not including nose tackles and OL...obviously).

No they honestly arent....there are no damn dudes that good of athletes otherwise they would have taken their butts down to NFL. Unless of course the rugby money is good.

I am very unfamiliar with the sport, its players, etc.

But you give me Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, NSuh, Clay Matthews, and Julius Peppers. Get whatever Rugby guys you want.

Originally Posted by assyrianplaya

No they honestly arent....there are no damn dudes that good of athletes otherwise they would have taken their butts down to NFL. Unless of course the rugby money is good.
indifferent.gif
why would they do that instead of play for their country?  Correct me if I'm wrong but they probably don't even care about the NFL over there
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by assyrianplaya

roll.gif

you sound very foolish...

I just looked up rubgy on youtube...as far as the collisions go, it's NFL without pads. and with clotheslines. the only problem with NFL is helmet to helmet other than that the two sports are just as violent

you cant tackle above the shoulder in Rugby so no head to head contacts, we gonna need an official Rugby World Cup thread in here...
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
 cant wait 

For me, American Football - you get rests - you have an offensive line and defensive line.

In rugby, you play both - the forwards in particular are always up and down on the floor constantly for 80 minutes. The condition of the All Blacks are world class. However the New Zealand Seven's team is another step up from that.

Originally Posted by man listen

I just looked up rubgy on youtube...as far as the collisions go, it's NFL without pads. and with clotheslines. the only problem with NFL is helmet to helmet other than that the two sports are just as violent

the major difference is the ball isn't going lateral continually to spread out the defense

But i still think they can reduce the amount of padding.  for example, look at the rugby head wear, why not wear that instead of the heavy Riddell helmets

go with soft cap shoulder pads instead of the current ones

if these players feel less invincible, the collisions should thereby decrease and become less violent

Originally Posted by Mourf83

you cant tackle above the shoulder in Rugby so no head to head contacts, we gonna need an official Rugby World Cup thread in here...
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
 cant wait 

for sure man. if you're from the states, how do you plan on watching? any chance espn360 picks this up?

As someone who's played Rugby (in HS) and Football at a high level, college/nationally. I have to give it up to Rugby players. Totally different sport that requires a totally different skill set.  Tackling in football is a big part of the game, but it isn't the game itself. There are so many other parts to football that people need to realize. Reading plays, making split second decisions, covering, catching, penalties to avoid, etc. Football is one big chess match. Pads are just req'd accessories to the sport. I will tell you this....I will NEVER entertain rugby as a sport...I am still missing 10 minutes from my life because of a Rugby tackle I made in the 11th grade. Went to tackle a wing and he open fisted me in the top of the head, knocking me out, but I somehow still played in the game.

Rugby to me, is just a macho sport, be it tough, there is no real finesse to the game.

I'm pretty sure most humans would be in intensive care after getting hit full speed without pads by Ray Lewis, James Harrison, Suh or Patrick Willis.

Originally Posted by Ziostilon

Originally Posted by man listen

the major difference is the ball isn't going lateral continually to spread out the defense

But i still think they can reduce the amount of padding.  for example, look at the rugby head wear, why not wear that instead of the heavy Riddell helmets

go with soft cap shoulder pads instead of the current ones

if these players feel less invincible, the collisions should thereby decrease and become less violent
not sure if I understand what you're saying... you're saying if football players had less pads there would be less injuries/less violent tackles? but from what I've seen rugby players get hit just as hard as football players. the difference is there's probably less concussions because no one is getting hit in the head with a kevlar missile. btw how many games in a rugby season and how often do they play? 

Originally Posted by Mourf83

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
 cant wait 

for sure man. if you're from the states, how do you plan on watching? any chance espn360 picks this up?
Yeh im from France but i live in the states. I ve always been able to watch every rugby game I wanted so far ( super 15, tri nations and top 14) I usually find links online ( great quality) but yeh hopefully ESPN will broadcast the games. I ll post or PM links for every game I find in the worst case. Gonna suck for the ones who live on the east coast though.

Back
Top Bottom