Why can't they play with no helmets & pads in american football? vol. footy, rugby

Originally Posted by ryanbbn23

Originally Posted by Julian Wright

Protection or no protection, rugby doesn't have 250lb dudes running 4.5's charging at you

this is it.  football has bigger, stronger, faster athletes with most plays ending in head on collisions.  
Is this a serious post?
is this a serious reply? both of them
laugh.gif

People who are saying "Rugby is soft", "NFL has beasts" aren't understanding what the thread is about.

I don't know if no pads (like Rugby) is the answer, but something needs to fundamentally change with football. These players are dying young or becoming close to vegetables in early age from taking too much damage to the head.

hockey is going through something similar. shoulder pads are getting bulkier and bulkier...and dudes are just killing each other now, knowing they're protected and can throw around their weight. back in the 70s and 80s...the game was just as physical, but people weren't getting concussed left and right because the monster hits were kept a minimum. as pads grow and become better at protecting...dudes will be more reckless with their bodies, leading to more serious injuries (head injuries). it's counter intuitive, but it makes sense.

all that said, i don't think you can take away the pads or even reduce their effectiveness significantly without hurting the game's entertainment value.

They both have very different rules, high tackle are forbidden in rugby and often results in yellow card (sin bined for 10 mn ) or even red cards, referees have instructions regarding this matter and players have to be protected as well. A rugby tackle can not occur above the shoulder and the defender has to have the intention of tackling ( grabbing with both arms ) and shoulder hits are penalized and considered dangerous tackle. there is better way to take someone down than head to head contact ( which is the best way to get injured )and the intensity of the sport can not be based on this aspect only. I think rugby players are better tackler, the lower you grab someone the easier it will be to take him down, football players depend too much on their helmets and pads rather than their techniques.

laugh.gif
if you took away pads, players might literally get killed on the field. nfl players range from 250-350 pounds. we've seen this discussion before, it really makes no sense since you're comparing completely different sports and athletes.

Deadset and some others are nailing the point. I especially like the last post about hockey. This notion in general isn't that crazy, several players have discussed and made comments similar to the original post

It's not until I watched some american football tackles on youtube last night that I completely comprehended the difference between american and european football tackles.

American footballers really like to launch in there like a missile head first, not a damn given. They straight give offensive players uppercuts to the chin, repeatedly, with their helmets. I cringed. Can't be good for both parties.

Rugby tackles are definitely cleaner.

Originally Posted by Mourf83

They both have very different rules, high tackle are forbidden in rugby and often results in yellow card (sin bined for 10 mn ) or even red cards, referees have instructions regarding this matter and players have to be protected as well. A rugby tackle can not occur above the shoulder and the defender has to have the intention of tackling ( grabbing with both arms ) and shoulder hits are penalized and considered dangerous tackle. there is better way to take someone down than head to head contact ( which is the best way to get injured )and the intensity of the sport can not be based on this aspect only. I think rugby players are better tackler, the lower you grab someone the easier it will be to take him down, football players depend too much on their helmets and pads rather than their techniques.
NFL is similar-- horse collar, helmet to helmet, clotheslines...all illegal. I don't know for a fact but I would bet that for every single concussion last season there was a flag thrown and a fine or suspension issued. it's kind of like Deadset said, the pads are meant to protect the players but has lead to more reckless play. if guys played the way the are "supposed" to with the new pads then the game would be safer than ever.

So NBC holds the TV rights for the RWC 
grin.gif
 not every games will be broadcast (unless you have universal sports on cable; never heard of it) USA games ( not necessarily the best ) will be on NBC, well it looks like I ll be watching it on my computer, chasing for live links in the middle of the night...

grin.gif
 not every games will be broadcast (unless you have universal sports on cable; never heard of it) USA games ( not necessarily the best ) will be on NBC, well it looks like I ll be watching it on my computer, chasing for live links in the middle of the night...
feel free to kick over any links for the the australia and new zealand matches
pimp.gif

[table][tr][td]
on_line.gif
DeadsetAce[/td][td][/td][td][/td][td][-][/td][/tr][tr][td][/td][td]
ryanbbn23 wrote:
Julian Wright wrote:
Protection or no protection, rugby doesn't have 250lb dudes running 4.5's charging at you

this is it.  football has bigger, stronger, faster athletes with most plays ending in head on collisions.  
Is this a serious post?

laugh.gif

[/td][/tr][/table]

I think those are serious replies.

Like people are saying, rugby and football are two very different sports. American football players are larger, more explosive, and stronger than rugby players. They can get to the size that they are because they do not have to run for an entire game. I am not saying football players are more athletic, just that they have greater strength and size.

grin.gif
I think the U.S. team will do pretty well. Not in the same league as South Africa or New Zealand, but they are definitely getting better.

The tackling in rugby is a much better way to tackle a person than professional football. There are so many whiffed tackled in the NFL, it's ridiculous.

Use the offensive player's momentum against them to bring them down.

^ I don't know about their chances - they've got Australia, Ireland, Italy and Russia in the group stages. The only team they're ranked above is Russia - and that's only one place.

They'll do well if they win 1 game. No chance of getting out of the group stage.

Originally Posted by amel223

American footballers really like to launch in there like a missile head first, not a damn given. They straight give offensive players uppercuts to the chin, repeatedly, with their helmets. I cringed. Can't be good for both parties.
pimp.gif
 Which is exactly why I watch Pro Football. The hitting and collisions! I don't want to see some fancy tackling. I want to see someone getting knock the *%%+ out!

Originally Posted by DeadsetAce

grin.gif
feel free to kick over any links for the the australia and new zealand matches
pimp.gif
2nd that

here we go again with typical NFL meathead fans going out of their way to call other athletes "frail"...these are typically the dudes who are NOWHERE near in shape to even play for high school JV squads of those "frail" sports
laugh.gif

I'm an NFL fan myself but I can admit there is @#$@ that needs to be fixed (like many sports). the helmet is one of the deadliest weapons out on the field...that @#$% hurts like a @#$% when a dumb @#$ launches himself into you just to get that big hit and
pimp.gif
from the fans. I almost got KOd one time because a dude shorter than me jump tackled me under my chin with his helmet
mad.gif

Originally Posted by DwyaneWadeOG

[table][tr][td]
on_line.gif
DeadsetAce[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td][-][/td][/tr][tr][td][/td][td]
ryanbbn23 wrote:
Julian Wright wrote:

Is this a serious post?

laugh.gif

[/td][/tr][/table]

I think those are serious replies.

Like people are saying, rugby and football are two very different sports. American football players are larger, more explosive, and stronger than rugby players. They can get to the size that they are because they do not have to run for an entire game. I am not saying football players are more athletic, just that they have greater strength and size.
I dont even mean to call you out because what you said is mostly true.

BUT IT IS NOT RELEVANT.

It seems counter intuitive because we assume more protection means safer. However I think it is pretty clear that "better" padding is actually making football more dangerous. No helmet is going to keep your brain from moving inside your skull but it will sure make you lead with it.

Back
Top Bottom