Why do Black people say "grown man" so often?

Originally Posted by LEX DlAMONDS

"im finna cop me that cardigan and get my mature adult grown man on"
Because it's waaaaay cooler than saying "mature adult".

"I'm a grown *** man" > "I'm a mature adult"

No grown man should have to let people know it by stating "I'm finna get my grown man on". That !%%* annoys the hell out of me.

And when these clubs/promotors advertise events and call it "Grown and Sexy"..... ooooooooh that !%%* get under my skin
grin.gif

Originally Posted by Redrum SB

"I'm bout to get my grown man on"

I found that this phrase is most frequently used when a hood kid/guy dresses up (suit, tie, slacks).
Most of the time it has nothing to do with their mentality, just their style/steez.
yup

Originally Posted by imINchucks5

Originally Posted by marath0n

Originally Posted by JFMartiMcDandruff

Originally Posted by marath0n

I think Jay Z started it.

it's stating a time when you get out of your "ghetto" persona and into your older more mature self.

Black people been saying "I'm a grown +#% man" for decades.
*Goes back to studying African American culture...smh at myself

laugh.gif

Originally Posted by imINchucks5

i think OP means more like

"im finna cop me that cardigan and get my grown man on"
Ohhhh. Yeah we do say that alot huh?
I mean not me personally, but you know.
everybody says it nowadays

i dont have a problem with it whatsoever..

im starting to hear people say "whats really better though?"..instead of "whats good"
indifferent.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif
NT is making me crack up in Macro
roll.gif

I don't know any grown men that use that phrase. But a lot of high school and college kids use it, which is understood because most of them aren'tactually grown men yet.

I think Jay Z started it.

it's stating a time when you get out of your "ghetto" persona and into your older more mature self.
he technically right.....

I always
smh.gif
when dudes are like, "Man, I just brought these Prada joints, tryna get my grown man on". Dude, all you did was buy some expensivesneakers, you still dumb as hell.

No hate to any Prada-wearers in here.

"grown man" events in the bay consist of dudes wearing over-sized collared shirts with some all white sneakers. stuff is funny.. lol

If you have to remind others that you are a "grown man", youre doing it wrong.

Originally Posted by SIRIUS LEE HANDSOME

Originally Posted by SneakerPimp2k8

stupid $+* thread
Now now, that's not a very grown man reply

roll.gif
good one. The content of this thread annoyed me. Those words havenothing to do with black people. I just feel like people try to be everything about race and it isn't necessary. Every young person used "grownman" cause they aren't grown yet.

laugh.gif
this thread is hilarious to me.
but the saying is just an example of how IMO African Americans in this country verbally communicate.
you can tell the difference in style of conversation between different cultures. In the general Black culture vernacular, there is no "talking incircles" and reiterating the same point over and over. Because as history has shown, as a black American throughout extended history, you had to get rightto the point with what you had to say asap.
But the initial style of "immediate dispensing of information" has been carried on within the households through the generations.

So,
"You're a grown $%% man" > "You think you possess mature qualities don't you?"

I hear it from two groups:

- usually youngsters, getting dressed up.. Or someone younger who is trying to step their lifestyle up (career, train of thought, etc.)

- older cats who cling to their childish ways, and just don't have it together. Same guys will also say, "I take CARE of my kids."

Back
Top Bottom