Why do interviewers waste peoples' time?

Had 2 interviews over the last month and didn't get either gig.

First gig was a tech support position at a Sporting Goods store(paragon sports in NYC) Interview went great, passed the drug test & the background check. The outcome? I was "over qualified" for the position. You knew that the minute you saw my resume...why waste my time?

Second was a systems engineer position at NBC studios. Interview went cool. Didn't know a few things but made it certain i was more than willing to learn beyond the books. Interviewer seemed to like me and set me up for my background check and drug test. Both came back clean. The outcome? They decided to hire someone within the company. Why not hire within in the first place?

Why bother calling people in if you don't plan on hiring them in the first place? Any hiring managers on here want to chime in?

First gig was a tech support position at a Sporting Goods store(paragon sports in NYC) Interview went great, passed the drug test & the background check. The outcome? I was "over qualified" for the position. You knew that the minute you saw my resume...why waste my time?

Second was a systems engineer position at NBC studios. Interview went cool. Didn't know a few things but made it certain i was more than willing to learn beyond the books. Interviewer seemed to like me and set me up for my background check and drug test. Both came back clean. The outcome? They decided to hire someone within the company. Why not hire within in the first place?

Why bother calling people in if you don't plan on hiring them in the first place? Any hiring managers on here want to chime in?

You do know those are just excuses right? It's not really what they did. And them saying that you're "over-qualified" does not mean that you were really over qualified. 
laugh.gif

Them saying that they decided to hire somebody within the company usually means they just don't want to hire you.

Understand that resumes don't mean everything... it's also about first impressions, how you carry yourself, your character... ect.

You do know those are just excuses right? It's not really what they did. And them saying that you're "over-qualified" does not mean that you were really over qualified. 
laugh.gif

Them saying that they decided to hire somebody within the company usually means they just don't want to hire you.

Understand that resumes don't mean everything... it's also about first impressions, how you carry yourself, your character... ect.

Originally Posted by Night Marcher01

laugh.gif

If that were the case, i wouldn't have been called back for drug tests.

laugh.gif

Originally Posted by JFDOOM

laugh.gif

Well I forgot to add... Managers also know what they want, they know what they're looking for. When I used to work for Nike, my manager was smart and a pervert!
laugh.gif
He said he wanted more 'attractive girls' working in the Men's Clothing Department because we weren't making any sales. So he hired a group of girls.... well let's just say we made more sales in Men's clothing than anything else combined!

laugh.gif

Well I forgot to add... Managers also know what they want, they know what they're looking for. When I used to work for Nike, my manager was smart and a pervert!
laugh.gif
He said he wanted more 'attractive girls' working in the Men's Clothing Department because we weren't making any sales. So he hired a group of girls.... well let's just say we made more sales in Men's clothing than anything else combined!

When I'm hiring I'll take the best applications and resumes and interview them all within a few days (2-5 or whatever). Sometimes the sure thing on paper turns out to be not so good in person, and sometimes the not so good on paper is a star in person... as a hiring manager you never know what's going to happen when they sit in the seat so you call a few in to talk.

To answer your question, they didn't know they weren't going to hire you when they called you in. You submitted your application and wanted to be interviewed and that's what happened. In the end, they chose someone who they thought was a better fit.
ohwell.gif

When I'm hiring I'll take the best applications and resumes and interview them all within a few days (2-5 or whatever). Sometimes the sure thing on paper turns out to be not so good in person, and sometimes the not so good on paper is a star in person... as a hiring manager you never know what's going to happen when they sit in the seat so you call a few in to talk.

To answer your question, they didn't know they weren't going to hire you when they called you in. You submitted your application and wanted to be interviewed and that's what happened. In the end, they chose someone who they thought was a better fit.
ohwell.gif

That sucks that they asked you to do a background check and drug test.  That is wasting your time.

I've interviewed tons of people, from mid-management spots to entry level customer service reps positions.

It's sad how a lot of people don't know how to interview, frankly a lot of people don't know how to dress for an interview and basically shoot themselves in the foot before they even open their mouth.

Also, you were probably not the only person interviewed.  Sometimes when you only have a certain amount of spots, and more people that interviewed well than spots that are open then it's time to nitpick.

OP you probably interviewed well, but someone better came along.  As for the internal hire, it is what it is, it's tough out there and people are using all the angles they have to land jobs.  If it was internal, they probably offered the job to someone and they didn't accept immediately.  Most places post jobs regardless.  Then the internal candidate accepted once the interview process was underway.

Still don't understand why they did a background check and a drug test.

Keep your head up.

Back
Top Bottom