Why do people act funny, or get offended when you ask them how much they make? Never understood..

Originally Posted by FDUB

Originally Posted by RawSheed

hiding how much you earn in a relationship seems like a recipe for disaster too though imo. when is it okay to tell?
Good question, but I assume when you are married???
You're going to file taxes together. Any lies will be exposed by H&R block
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by moneymike88

Originally Posted by keithsweatsjordans

Many questions get asked by people that don't benefit from them. "How tall are you?" for example
roll.gif
Thats a terrible analogy. If someone asks you your height in person, unless they're blind they have a damn good estimate before they do. Either way, your height isn't information you could keep private even if you wanted to. Its there for the world to see 24/7. Two totally different situations.
By looking at the car(s) someone drives, the clothes they wear, and the place they live in (if available) you can have a damn good estimate of how much they make

that's absolutely NOT true. My homegirl drives a  new BMW, carries nothnig but Louis Vuitton and Gucci purses, and lives in a nice townhouse but only makes $45,000/year. me, i drive a Scion box car, shop at Ross and Old Navy, and live in an apartment and I make waaaaaay more than she does. but this chick fronts like she is hollywood, and many believe that she is, while most of the time i'm the one that's the highest paid in the room. not to say i'm ballin, but to say that so many people front, so you never know. lots of people spend every penny they have in order to "put on" for others and have people think that they are something that they are not.

Originally Posted by keithsweatsjordans

Many questions get asked by people that don't benefit from them. "How tall are you?" for example
roll.gif
Thats a terrible analogy. If someone asks you your height in person, unless they're blind they have a damn good estimate before they do. Either way, your height isn't information you could keep private even if you wanted to. Its there for the world to see 24/7. Two totally different situations.
By looking at the car(s) someone drives, the clothes they wear, and the place they live in (if available) you can have a damn good estimate of how much they make

that's absolutely NOT true. My homegirl drives a  new BMW, carries nothnig but Louis Vuitton and Gucci purses, and lives in a nice townhouse but only makes $45,000/year. me, i drive a Scion box car, shop at Ross and Old Navy, and live in an apartment and I make waaaaaay more than she does. but this chick fronts like she is hollywood, and many believe that she is, while most of the time i'm the one that's the highest paid in the room. not to say i'm ballin, but to say that so many people front, so you never know. lots of people spend every penny they have in order to "put on" for others and have people think that they are something that they are not.

cats get offended when asked how much they make? 
laugh.gif

guess that question cuts too close to da soul..... #poor

laugh.gif

Originally Posted by ninjahood

laugh.gif

For real... usually when dudes are making enough it's all small talk, but when you aren't making a lot then money's an issue and it becomes a touchy subject.

I guess those making less are more insecure about what they make... it's no big deal whether it's private or not

Originally Posted by ninjahood

laugh.gif

For real... usually when dudes are making enough it's all small talk, but when you aren't making a lot then money's an issue and it becomes a touchy subject.

I guess those making less are more insecure about what they make... it's no big deal whether it's private or not

Originally Posted by Slicknick951

Its really shouldnt be asked esp. at the work place. The correct question to ask is what field of work and the pay range or starting salary.

pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Slicknick951

Its really shouldnt be asked esp. at the work place. The correct question to ask is what field of work and the pay range or starting salary.

pimp.gif

It's more you don't want to be bragging or anything if you make more then them. Which you probably do if they are asking

It's more you don't want to be bragging or anything if you make more then them. Which you probably do if they are asking

Originally Posted by versache530

I don't tell anyone because people try to "count" your money. telling you what you can and can't afford. if you don't spend it like THEY think you should they have something to say. If you make significantly more than your peers, they oftentimes expect you to pay. even if it's little stuff like parking or something.

another example: I made about double what my ex-boyfriend made. i knew this, but he didn't. i was filling out my lease application and he was there. it asked for monthly income before taxes. i cut my eye over, and he is all up on my paper, so i skip the question and went back and filled it in last. after i fill it in, i nonchalantly cover it up with my hands, like folding my hands over the paper like i'm chillin. i got to talking to the landlord lady and accidently moved my hands and he saw my answer.

from that day forward. our relationship went downhill. it's like he couldn't handle it or something. he stopped doing things for me and started freeloading just because he felt like i could afford it. and not doing things for me in the sense of buying me gifts or anything, i'm talking about stuff like he would go get food and not even ask if i wanted anything or offer me any.
Man this poster was DEAD ON..........

once you tell someone your hourly pay, and you get to know that person well....the little comments start to come out when they find out you bought this and that......everything goes back to "your job" and "your paycheck".

Originally Posted by versache530

I don't tell anyone because people try to "count" your money. telling you what you can and can't afford. if you don't spend it like THEY think you should they have something to say. If you make significantly more than your peers, they oftentimes expect you to pay. even if it's little stuff like parking or something.

another example: I made about double what my ex-boyfriend made. i knew this, but he didn't. i was filling out my lease application and he was there. it asked for monthly income before taxes. i cut my eye over, and he is all up on my paper, so i skip the question and went back and filled it in last. after i fill it in, i nonchalantly cover it up with my hands, like folding my hands over the paper like i'm chillin. i got to talking to the landlord lady and accidently moved my hands and he saw my answer.

from that day forward. our relationship went downhill. it's like he couldn't handle it or something. he stopped doing things for me and started freeloading just because he felt like i could afford it. and not doing things for me in the sense of buying me gifts or anything, i'm talking about stuff like he would go get food and not even ask if i wanted anything or offer me any.
Man this poster was DEAD ON..........

once you tell someone your hourly pay, and you get to know that person well....the little comments start to come out when they find out you bought this and that......everything goes back to "your job" and "your paycheck".

Originally Posted by Critical571

Word @ trelvis.
and ppl act funny when u ask them how much they make bcuz money to some ppl are a sign of "power" and if u tell sum1 ur 26 making 26K ,they might giggle and take away from ur power

and people act funny that asks how much one makes after that person tells them....it's like taking away power (if that person makes more than them) that they thought THEY had...

see what i did there?

Originally Posted by Critical571

Word @ trelvis.
and ppl act funny when u ask them how much they make bcuz money to some ppl are a sign of "power" and if u tell sum1 ur 26 making 26K ,they might giggle and take away from ur power

and people act funny that asks how much one makes after that person tells them....it's like taking away power (if that person makes more than them) that they thought THEY had...

see what i did there?

Back
Top Bottom