Why do people congratulate those who "overcome" things like addiction/obesity??

because it goes to show that brains wins over brute strength any day. Having the mental strength to reprogram your mind is a great feat and I would congratulate anyone who overcomes any obsession, addiction or whatever was holding them back in life. Your whole perspective is from the outside looking in. Granted you have dabbled in drugs, the way the chemicals marry the brain is different on a individual basis. people need love. not the dude from the maury bootcamp show yelling at them making them feel bad about their selves.

Originally Posted by HankMoody

Originally Posted by Checks McGee

Originally Posted by HankMoody

You're a doucheand a terrible person.

I'm soft, OP's right.

/thread

But you listen to Mac Miller and say it goes hard.
laugh.gif

I guess i've grown a little cold hearted over the years.
I've faced and battled many struggles. I knew the answer was with in me, and only me. I do not look to others to elevate my ego. 

I guess in a way, I would be proud of my older brother. But only that he was able to see the beauty (no #$*$) in himself and finally respect his gift of life.

I really hate when people use their weaknesses as a crutch, or use the fact they "once were" something as a crutch and a cry for attention, help, sympathy.

@rafiki - what is a "person like me?"

@Durden - pretty sure you know when you are unhealthily overweight. My cousin was 300+ at age 13, now he is 180 and in the gym with me all the time.

He knew the whole time what had to be done, it's just a matter of acting upon the strength that lies within us all. I am definitely proud of him, but some people take it way too far.

Because they have shown resilience and fortitude. Their meddle should be congratulated and encouraged so they a) don't relapse b) know that their friends and loved one have their best interest at heart and c) because they have escaped death after putting their bodies through hell.

It's not so much an all out fanfare as it is a pat on the back.

It's the human thing to do. Live a little longer and you'll understand.

Originally Posted by TroyMcClure

Just got into a huge discussion with some people about this. Guess I am just not that sympathetic.
Some people even called those things a disease 
alien.gif
alien.gif

I am an understanding dude, why can't people understand that no one should be doing those things in the first place?

Applaud someone for finally making the decisions they should have been making the whole time?
Why shouldn't they be doing those things in the first place? 

I guess i've grown a little cold hearted over the years.
I've faced and battled many struggles. I knew the answer was with in me, and only me. I do not look to others to elevate my ego. 

I guess in a way, I would be proud of my older brother. But only that he was able to see the beauty (no #$*$) in himself and finally respect his gift of life.

I really hate when people use their weaknesses as a crutch, or use the fact they "once were" something as a crutch and a cry for attention, help, sympathy.

@rafiki - what is a "person like me?"

@Durden - pretty sure you know when you are unhealthily overweight. My cousin was 300+ at age 13, now he is 180 and in the gym with me all the time.

He knew the whole time what had to be done, it's just a matter of acting upon the strength that lies within us all. I am definitely proud of him, but some people take it way too far.
You're still an #@!*%!@.

And a 13 year old is not capable of understanding the repercussions of his weight at that age. I'd shut your mouth now before you dig yourself even deeper.

Originally Posted by RFX45

I understand addiction can "take over"...but why kiss their @$% if they stop?
Say there is a pool, this pool just so happens to be full of %$%. You take a dive into the pool, intentionally.

You come out covered in the feces, we are supposed to feel bad for you?

You wash yourself off with a hose and all the sudden everyone is oh so proud of you? Df?

Worst analogy evaaaarrrrr!!!!!
i think your over analyzing the analogy. all he is saying is u get your self into a mess when you "dive" into your addiction its not our job to be proud of your for getting out.
and i do agree with OP

I am an understanding dude, why can't people understand that no one should be doing those things in the first place?

Applaud someone for finally making the decisions they should have been making the whole time?

So I just lost my aunt about two weeks ago. Not directly to substance abuse, but from the cumulative effect of having done it for something like 30 years. The reason you feel the way you do is because you don't understand what an addiction is.

If you could just up and decide one day to stop, if it were easy, or rational then it wouldn't be an addiction, you know what I mean?

From Dictionary.com
ad·dic·tion   [uh-dik-shuhn] Show IPA
noun
the state of being enslaved to a habit or practice or to something that is psychologically or physically habit-forming, as narcotics, to such an extent that its cessation causes severe trauma.

I'm not going in on you, but the inability to stop that makes it an addiction. It requires in some cases an immense amount of will, and support to beat an addiction and when people do, like my aunt did after 30 years, it is truly a cause for celebration and congratulation. But the thing about addictions is that you are ALWAYS addicted, and those people need continued support.... Forever.

That's why.

It's about sympathy and empathy, and until like someone above me said, you see it hit closer to home, you won't understand.

El Catfisho - hope you overcome that stalking addiction bro. I will be so proud of you if you can overcome your own mistakes.

Some people got it rough, got those really addictive personalities. Friend tried heroin a couple times and got addicted, had to go to rehab cause that stuff is insanely tough to beat on your own. Some obese people have it real rough too, got diabetes, hypothyroidism, really slow metabolism, etc -- I eat whatever I want, whenever I want and don't gain any lbs, I've seen some chicks eating salad every meal and gain weight.

Originally Posted by balloonoboy

Because they have shown resilience and fortitude. Their meddle should be congratulated and encouraged so they a) don't relapse b) know that their friends and loved one have their best interest at heart and c) because they have escaped death after putting their bodies through hell.

It's not so much an all out fanfare as it is a pat on the back.

It's the human thing to do. Live a little longer and you'll understand.

El Catfisho - hope you overcome that stalking addiction bro. I will be so proud of you if you can overcome your own mistakes.
people never forget

So when my cousin was 13 years old and depressed about his weight and issues related to his health, he did not understand? LMAO!
You really live up to your username.

My father was an abusive alcoholic for 15+ years, now he is a model father and husband. 

People give up too easily and blame everything on addiction. In my eyes only using it as a crutch to prolong their behavior because they feel too "weak" to deal with their issues.

In the back of their minds, in their hearts and soul, they KNOW the truth, the KNOW what they have to do. They are just overpowered by a weakness at the point.

EVERYONE (birth and cerebral defects aside) is capable of over coming any obstacle, you just have to BELIEVE.

Before you continue to say, "before it hits closer to home", know that I am drawing my conclusions while these issues are prominent IN my home.

^ Why am I a DB? The herd behavior begins.
And some 13 year olds are, some are not. Who am I to know everything that they know? And when was sex previously discussed? lol +!@

So when my cousin was 13 years old and depressed about his weight and issues related to his health, he did not understand? LMAO!
Is a 13 year old mentally capable of understanding the consequences of sex?

how can you NOT give props to someone who overcomes such an obstacle??...wether they placed themselves in the situation or not....you do know that obesity can be caused by other things far beyond that person's control....

OP is an inconsiderate racist bigot and a burger. Lock this ******ed thread up, man. OP sickens me.

th0ugh, and you seem like the complete opposite with a statement like that. Hypocrisy at its finest.

I don't understand why you view saying a simple "congratulations" to someone who overcame an obstacle as being a bad thing. Really? Is it that hard to say one word to someone who turned a bad situation around for themselves?

There's hateration all over this thread.

All people give up too easily huh? Never knew the answer was that simple

My mind is blown

^ Why am I a DB? The herd behavior begins.
And some 13 year olds are, some are not. Who am I to know everything that they know? And when was sex previously discussed? lol +!@
It's in the same train of thought. If you think a 13 year old can understand the consequences of the food they digest, surely you must believe they are also capable of understanding the consequences of sexual activity. So would you go after a 13 year old who you thought understood what she was doing? And don't even think of pulling some !***%%@@ "it's illegal" excuse.

OP, what's the matter? Nobody loves you?

As stated before, different things affect people in different ways. Some people with these problems have mental illnesses. Some just lack discipline. Either way you slice it, they overcome obstacles and better themselves in life. Would you not want someone to provide encouragement and praise to you for accomplishing something in your life?

Oh yea, it is a disease. Instead of taking this time to tear these people down, educate yourself and open your mind.

Back
Top Bottom