Why do people like the Wire ?

Originally Posted by Orfiyus

Everyone jumped on the bandwagon in the last season. LOL when it aired on BET people acted like it was brand new. It was out years before then and nobody gave a crap about it.

I watched the first 2 seasons on HBO. There were to many characters and I couldnt remember who was who and why I should care who they are in the first season. Gave the second season a chance and thought it wasnt bad. The polacks plot line was way better then the first season Barskdale mess.

Anyway after the second season I moved on with my life and never heard of the show again till it aired on BET. Its overrated imo.

Sopranos and Oz are way better then the wire.
Or just maybe those people that "hopped on" didn't have Premium Channels?
grin.gif

Originally Posted by Orfiyus

Everyone jumped on the bandwagon in the last season. LOL when it aired on BET people acted like it was brand new. It was out years before then and nobody gave a crap about it.

I watched the first 2 seasons on HBO. There were to many characters and I couldnt remember who was who and why I should care who they are in the first season. Gave the second season a chance and thought it wasnt bad. The polacks plot line was way better then the first season Barskdale mess.

Anyway after the second season I moved on with my life and never heard of the show again till it aired on BET. Its overrated imo.

Sopranos and Oz are way better then the wire.
Or just maybe those people that "hopped on" didn't have Premium Channels?
grin.gif

No one has even said anything to back up their argument as to why they like it ... might tell me something about their fans. Oh and to the guy that said IMDB rated it a 9.7 , those votes can be submitted by anyone for all I know you probablly voted over and over again.

No one has even said anything to back up their argument as to why they like it ... might tell me something about their fans. Oh and to the guy that said IMDB rated it a 9.7 , those votes can be submitted by anyone for all I know you probablly voted over and over again.

Originally Posted by Josednk1068

What?

laugh.gif

People have already made arguments, are we in the same thread?

Are the pages not loading properly?

What?

laugh.gif

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

What?

laugh.gif

Dude is wildin 
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

What have people been posting this entire thread?

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

What?

laugh.gif

Dude is wildin 
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

What have people been posting this entire thread?

Talk about only reading what you want to read
laugh.gif

Cake posted a mini-essay, how could you miss that

Talk about only reading what you want to read
laugh.gif

Cake posted a mini-essay, how could you miss that

I'm not sure I've ever met someone that has watched more than 3 episodes and not been hooked. It takes at least 3 episodes just to build up some characters and some plot. The show is massive. It has deep and nuanced central characters and the secondary characters are all there for a reason. I would argue that the writing is the best we have seen in media(TV, movies, whatever). But that's me.

The best part about the show is that the writers never hold your hand as a viewer. If you missed something, that's on you. They don't rehash things episode by episode. Something can be mentioned once and you need to follow. Intricate details are mixed in and you've gotta keep up or get lost. I hate when shows beat the viewer over the head constantly with what's happening. This show never tells you who is the good guy or bad guy, or what is the correct choice to make. It just lays it all out there and the viewer makes his own determinations. There are good and bad on the cop side and on the street side.

But more than that, the show delves deeply into a major American city in a way that most shows do not. You see the problems from just about every angle, from split families, bad schools teaching only to the test, to the politics of governing and trying to get things accomplished. It's also interesting to see how one event affects everything. Everyone and everything is connected. We've never seen a cop show done this way, where you see exactly what the "bad guys" are doing to combat the police, and how the cops are responding. You learn how the stuff gets into the cities, how it moves, what it does to families and communities and how ridiculous the drug war is. In later seasons you see how the cycle gets started with the kids and the failing education system and later the way the media can shape a story to make it whatever they want.  This show is deep. It doesn't give a lot of answers. It doesn't tell you what to think. Most of the time when you finish an episode you feel like you got punched in the stomach. I'm certainly a fanboy, but this show was brilliant.

I think this show is unf***wittable.

I'm not sure I've ever met someone that has watched more than 3 episodes and not been hooked. It takes at least 3 episodes just to build up some characters and some plot. The show is massive. It has deep and nuanced central characters and the secondary characters are all there for a reason. I would argue that the writing is the best we have seen in media(TV, movies, whatever). But that's me.

The best part about the show is that the writers never hold your hand as a viewer. If you missed something, that's on you. They don't rehash things episode by episode. Something can be mentioned once and you need to follow. Intricate details are mixed in and you've gotta keep up or get lost. I hate when shows beat the viewer over the head constantly with what's happening. This show never tells you who is the good guy or bad guy, or what is the correct choice to make. It just lays it all out there and the viewer makes his own determinations. There are good and bad on the cop side and on the street side.

But more than that, the show delves deeply into a major American city in a way that most shows do not. You see the problems from just about every angle, from split families, bad schools teaching only to the test, to the politics of governing and trying to get things accomplished. It's also interesting to see how one event affects everything. Everyone and everything is connected. We've never seen a cop show done this way, where you see exactly what the "bad guys" are doing to combat the police, and how the cops are responding. You learn how the stuff gets into the cities, how it moves, what it does to families and communities and how ridiculous the drug war is. In later seasons you see how the cycle gets started with the kids and the failing education system and later the way the media can shape a story to make it whatever they want.  This show is deep. It doesn't give a lot of answers. It doesn't tell you what to think. Most of the time when you finish an episode you feel like you got punched in the stomach. I'm certainly a fanboy, but this show was brilliant.

I think this show is unf***wittable.

I really wanted to know how the fans of the show really felt in all honesty. I gave the show a try, watched about three seasons worth, and it wasn't that great. Don't get it twisted not knockin if you like it you like it, just want to know why. Oh yea and Oz is much better than the Wire imo

I really wanted to know how the fans of the show really felt in all honesty. I gave the show a try, watched about three seasons worth, and it wasn't that great. Don't get it twisted not knockin if you like it you like it, just want to know why. Oh yea and Oz is much better than the Wire imo

I gave the show a try, watched about three seasons worth, and it wasn't that great. Oh yea and Oz is much better than the Wire imo

j8pdmf.gif

for that nonsense you talking.

I gave the show a try, watched about three seasons worth, and it wasn't that great. Oh yea and Oz is much better than the Wire imo

j8pdmf.gif

for that nonsense you talking.

i got this from wikipedia becuase i remember reading the times naming it the bes show in the 2000s decade

Several reviewers have called it the best show on television, including TIME,[sup][74][/sup]Entertainmeeekly,[sup][66][/sup] the Chicago Tribune,[sup][75][/sup]Slate,[sup][55][/sup] the San Francisco Chronicle,[sup][76][/sup] the Philadelphia Daily News[sup][77][/sup] and the British newspaper The Guardian,[sup][38][/sup] which ran a week-by-week blog following every episode,[sup][78][/sup] also collected in a book, The Wire Re-up.[sup][79][/sup]Charlie Brooker, a columnist for The Guardian, has been particularly copious in his praise of the show, in both his column "Screen Burn" and his BBC Four television series Screenwipe, in which he often speaks highly of it, calling it possibly the greatest show of the last 20 years.[sup][80][/sup][sup][81][/sup] In 2009, TIME listed it as the best television series of the 2000s.[sup][82][/sup]
'The Wire Files', an online collection of articles published in darkmatter Journal critically analyzes The Wire's racialized politics and aesthetics of representation.[sup][83][/sup]Entertainment Weekly put it on its end-of-the-decade, "best-of" list, saying, "The deft writing—which used the cop-genre format to give shape to creator David Simon's scathing social critiques—was matched by one of the deepest benches of acting talent in TV history."[sup][8
[/sup]

soo i guess its just not nt that likes this show , if you ask me overall it was better then the sopranos,

Back
Top Bottom