Why do you believe that there is a god?

Originally Posted by Rusty Shackelford

I believe in God because I was raised a Christian and even if I wasnt
I can feel God. I cant really explain it. I know hes there though.

If you were born in Saudi Arabia or India or Brazil you would be a muslim, a hindu, or an old world pagan religion respectively.
How does that prove your point?

How do you feel whats not there? Wishing for something to be there doesn't it make it more or less so. 

Originally Posted by sillyputty

Originally Posted by Rusty Shackelford

I believe in God because I was raised a Christian and even if I wasnt
I can feel God. I cant really explain it. I know hes there though.

If you were born in Saudi Arabia or India or Brazil you would be a muslim, a hindu, or an old world pagan religion respectively.
How does that prove your point?

How do you feel whats not there? Wishing for something to be there doesn't it make it more or less so. 
I wasn't trying to prove a point I was telling why I believe in God.
In my post that you quoted I said I can't explain it.
I don't wish for God to be there I just know he's there.
Nothing you say will change that.

A. The burden of proof is on you to substantiate the claim that there IS a god. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Otherwise you could say anything and never be wrong. For example, you could say that the moon is made of cheese and you would be right simply because you assert that claim. thats illogical.
B. You needing guidance for a god means you followed a religion. Your understand and realm of existence for that god: how to worship it, what its rules are, how it intervenes, what its policies are... are SCULPTED by a particular religion. Masses create their own gods and worship them. You don't follow the gods of other religions. Why not? Don't their rules and policies challenge those set forth by your "god"?

C. i don't know what life changing event happened to you but NONE of that means there is a god. Not being able to explain something or misunderstanding something doesn't mean there is a higher power. It never has and never will. 

D. You refusing to "debate" me indicates basal ignorance. You should care if your views are true or false. Valid or invalid. Otherwise you are willfully ignorant of the underlying truth. I'm not addressing you as a person, merely your religion as it stands. if you separate your faith from your character you will see the difference. If you devote your LIFE to something, at least have the balls to stand up for it and address those who argue against you. Crawling into your hole and covering your ears doesn't make those that disagree with you go away...

A. Actually, the burden is on YOU to prove me wrong. I never set out to tell you that you were wrong for not believing in God. Nor did I try and convince anyone that my views were superior. I stated my beliefs, and did not try to pass them off as facts. You on the other hand, are attempting to disprove my beliefs. Unless you have some concrete proof, we're in the same boat. Except I'm not the one rocking it by trying to call out the other one's belief.

B. I studied the Christian religion when I was younger by myself, I did not have it put upon me by anyone else. I also read a tiny bit of the Muslim religion. From growing up I developed my own beliefs of how things came to be and I considered them to be truthful. Yes, you need to have experience with religion in order to have one, I have had the experience. I do not follow theirs, as for why, I don't know and I don't think that's a necessary question.

C. I started believing and when I started to see change I deduced it. Yes, you can say my change was not because of any religion, but once again, how can you prove that? See part A.

D. I originally was going to answer this first, but wanted to save this best part for last. The underlying truth? Of what? That religion doesn't exist? If you're so confident in what you perceive to be true, then maybe you shouldn't be arguing with me. I'm just a pawn in the game, aren't I? How about you go right to the top and take down the system from there? My views are obviously false, as are everyone else's who believes in God, and your beliefs in that there is no God are obviously true, so why argue with us as individuals? Go to the news, go to the holy cities, go to the media, yell it from the roof. That you're correct and we're wrong. You won't be the first and you won't be the last.

Why should I need to address those who argue against me? Your arguments mean nothing to me. You don't have any more ground on me than I have on you. I'd simply be wasting breaths if I chose to argue you because we could debate for a decade and neither would win. Religious debates NEVER end, because everyone has their own opinions and no one is correct, at least in the others' eyes.

The last I care is to make you go away. Why should I? If you leave, ten more will replace you. You're so confident that you're correct and I'm wrong, I will ask you right now, please don't waste your time on me. I won't change my beliefs, especially when you have no proof to back it up. If you want to disprove someone else, move on to them. I'm a nobody, so treat me like one.

Originally Posted by 0renthalJames

5 bucks paypal to OP if this thread ends well.

-The Juice
5 bucks saved. Recession proof doggie. Thank Jesus!
6e636d9e644acc0483812a2115e79e073cd05541_r.gif

-The Juice

Originally Posted by scshift

Personally, I believe in God because I needed help with my life so I picked up a faith.

I also used logic. Where did anything come from? Even if all of the universe today originated from a tiny speck of dust in the middle of nowhere, who created said speck of dust? Or the nowhere that it existed?
Yeah, same here.. I'm really just a tiny thing in this so-called universe. But maybe there's a purpose why I'm here. Why we are here..
On the other end, I believe in dimensional beings. We have alot here in my place especially on rural areas. Unexplainable & mysterious... & dangerous for some reasons. I'm not encouraging anyone to believe me but that's from my personal experience.

So for me, there's more than what my senses would tell & conceive. Faith is one thing.

But I do hope that a person who doesn't believe in a God or god may not stop in caring for people & being kind to others.

i don't believe in god, but i don't care if other people do or not (so long as they don't try and push their religious beliefs upon me).

OP, if someone believes in god and that simple belief makes them strive to be a better person, why do you care what they believe in?

science makes as little sense as religion when it comes to life so the argument never broke my faith. like its absolutely insane when i try to think of how life started.... which came first the chicken or the egg and how did that first organism come to be...

basically I was taught as a child but I learned to accept it on my own.

I'm not trying to knock on no one's belief's.
IF you believe in him great, if not great.

The way I see it is, God created certain things.

Those things led to us...

IMO he made science & all that.

He gave us science to cure one another, and so on.

They are one in the same.

God doesn't do everything for us, but gives us the will, power, strength to do it ourselves.

When we don't know what to do next, and we ask God he helps us.

To each his own, I respect everyone's opinion.

I'm not bashing anyone!

You needed help so you listened to what other people told you to do. That doesn't mean there is a god. It just means you needed a mentor. Guidance...etc.
Where did anything come from? Lets say that I really and truly do NOT know... there are very compelling theories, but we can't be certain.

NONE of that means there is a "god" and further more nothing exists to tell you to "worship" it. 

I needed guidance. No one gave it to me because I didn't look for it. I looked at myself... I don't follow a particular religion but I am aware there is a God overseeing my life.

I do not talk about my spiritual beliefs very much, and I never, ever debate whether mine or anyone else's is correct or incorrect. So I will not argue with you.

Just know that NONE of that means there isn't a God.
So your god has talked to you? That's why you believe that a god exists? I noticed that you capitalized God. I assume you believe in the Judeo-Christian God then? Did you choose him, or is he the one and only god?

I noticed you said that you used logic to conclude that God exists because the universe has to have started from something. Why don't you apply this logic to God as well? Why is God exempt from this line of reasoning? Did he tell you this?

All you're doing when you add God in is creating another unnecessary step to the question of where did everything come from.

Us <-- Universe <-- ???
vs.
Us <-- Universe <-- God <-- ???

Adding in God does nothing to help us understand our universe.

What do you think when Stephen Hawking and other scientists (our equivalent to Einstein and Hawking) says that God is not needed to created the Universe? Scientists can explain the origins of the universe without God already.

http://www.universetoday....-universe-to-be-created/

If you want a fascination lecture on how our universe came from nothing, watch this lecture by one of the top cosmologists.

Originally Posted by Vsano

Personally, I believe in God because I needed help with my life so I picked up a faith.

I also used logic. Where did anything come from? Even if all of the universe today originated from a tiny speck of dust in the middle of nowhere, who created said speck of dust? Or the nowhere that it existed?
Yeah, same here.. I'm really just a tiny thing in this so-called universe. But maybe there's a purpose why I'm here. Why we are here..
On the other end, I believe in dimensional beings. We have alot here in my place especially on rural areas. Unexplainable & mysterious... & dangerous for some reasons. I'm not encouraging anyone to believe me but that's from my personal experience.

So for me, there's more than what my senses would tell & conceive. Faith is one thing.

But I do hope that a person who doesn't believe in a God or god may not stop in caring for people & being kind to others.
How do you make the jump from "I don't understand how this works." to "God exists because there are things I don't understand."?

This is a logical fallacy called the God of the Gaps. Are gaps in scientific knowledge proof of God's existance?  If so, God is getting smaller and smaller everyday.

Originally Posted by krazy88s

*God

And I believe because I want to.

Isn't the question I'm asking pretty straightforward?

Why do you believe that your God exists?  Isn't this a question that any believer should have the answer to?

THIS!! I use this argument all the time when talking to people who talk evolution! I was going to come in here with unnecessary cynicism but you iterated a key point which I honestly feel has no rebuttal.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

what are you guys talking about... we're all just a thought from someone elses dream

Don't necessarily believe in "god" but I believe in a higher power, something greater than us. I can't bring myself to believe big bang theory or evolution

Back
Top Bottom