Why do you believe that there is a god?

So instead of saying, "I really don't know how the universe started, but I want to scientifically move towards figuring it out..."
Ya'll would rather choose this?

dcU3E.gif

I'm just sayin'...you could do better...

laugh.gif

30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by Steinbeckballa

Originally Posted by So Nyuh Shi Dae

Originally Posted by Steinbeckballa

Disadvantage to who and in whose eyes? You're trying to view sin as if you are in God's shoes from what I'm reading. I can't even understand the mindset of God, my brain would probably explode trying to(or just a migraine), but I know what he has done for me. We're born sinners, Jesus died for our sins, we are able to ask for forgiveness, but not all are promised into the kingdom of Heaven.
Adam and Eve were at a disadvantage because, no matter what, they were going to sin because that's how god created them. Additionally, it makes no sense that god would create someone to sin because he hates sin. So what I'm getting at is the whole idea behind god and sin is illogical. I'm not trying to view sin as if I'm in god's shoes, I'm trying to make sense of that which seems to make no sense.
He loved us so much and created us even though he knew that we would sin. I believe that our purpose on this earth is not to just avoid sinning, but to learn from mistakes and to reach out others about Christ. I know it might not make sense to you but that what I believe and I faith in the Lord.
I think we will have to agree to disagree, but I appreciate the civil discussion that we've had in this topic.

Originally Posted by sillyputty

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

So long as the person doesnt push his beliefs on you, why is there a need to discredit theirs?

Thank you, people who worry so much about the next man need to re-evaluate themselves.

I'm sorry...
This woman would take away the rights of millions of citizens because "god" told her to.

Rep+Michele+Bachmann.jpg

This man said "god" told him to invade a middle eastern country:

george-bush-official-2.jpg

Not caring about what the "next man" thinks blinds us from really taking the time to get to the REAL issues. But most american are too damn occupied with the frivolous aspects of life to really give a damn about anything else. 

This is the LEAST I can do. 

warren-jeffs.jpg

God also told this man to take and rape SEVERAL underage wives to include forcing them to perform sex acts on each other, rape his 1/2 brother, and allegedly is going to smite the judge and jury and everyone who dare take issue with his conduct.

30t6p3b.gif
Those people don't represent God just because they say they do and you believe what they say, that shows how truly unsophisticated your outlook is when you hold those idiots with any kind of regard merely because they hold an influential position in this bull $#+% society.

Bad exists for good to exist.Furthermore if you gave real scripture a chance , or actually read instead of posting your big industry funded statistical graphs, you would see that scriptures warn against people who pose as believers to compensate for their true reality.

I can respect people being honest and saying they are Atheist because their are a lot of people who use organized religion as a veil for their own immoral conduct, but I still feel like if you embrace atheist sentiments your asking to be a target.
and then you try the good ol' I'm atheist so I'm a smarter person that a believer. WRONG. That exposes your own Atheist-hypocrisy.

Sir Issac Newton>>>>>> you 

Everything exists for a particular function and all is one. Peace. 

Originally Posted by foreveryoung

I think youre mistaking my whole stance on everything
laugh.gif
. I say what I feel is irrelevant because of regardless of what I believe you are going to want some sort of factual evidence, which I cant nor feel the need to supply to anybody ha. Its how I feel. It just seems like its an insult to you if somebody says: thats what I believe.

As far as why I asked about family and children, the only reason was to ask about love.

Love is not a quantifiable thing. You cant prove you love somebody any more than you can prove you believe in God. You either feel it, or you dont. Theres no formula.

But until one feels it, or has an experience where they have felt it, it is an abstract concept.

If someone told you to prove you loved your parents, what would you do? (If you dont I apologize. But you get my point)

Because I actually care if what I think:
A. is Logical

B. Is true. 

Everything else is for you to have fun with. But to just play it off like religion has NO influence on the lives of others is just patently false...thus I DO take the time to poke holes in arguments and I love to expose the inconsistencies of popular stances in people who have never taken the time to assess what it is that they think they know. 

Downplaying my stance as "well its only one person so who matters" isn't the point. There are tons of people out there with doubt who are scared to come forward and admit it. Before the internet there would probably be half as many atheists out there...too many people were scared to look for the information...instead they stayed in their mental bubbles and didn't know any of this stuff...its the least I can do to at least introduce some objective and consistently rational basis into the argument.

I mean did you not read Steinbeckballa? Dude thinks he sinned before he was born. What type of messed up way to live is that??? 
sick.gif

So your goal is to instill as much doubt and disbelief as you have??

Im not saying religion doesnt influence society. I grew up in UTAH
laugh.gif
that place is RAN by the Mormon church. Im just saying people have the right to believe whatever they want

If you were on here just saying "I dont believe in God, I believe that we have complete control of our futures, our lives, our success and our failures" I wouldnt even had said anything. But instead youre on here breaking down every statement into bits and pieces, like an experiment. And because youre an intelligent dude, youre using scientific explanations and historical evidence to disprove their hypothesis
laugh.gif

But is it that you believe THRU and THRU that there is no God, or is it that you have so much doubt and so many questions that you refuse to believe there could be one?

You said it yourself  "There very well COULD be a god. But nothing you or anyone else has said supports that logically, or with any substantial evidence"

How can you be SOOO adamant about trying to discredit, and disprove others, when you yourself havent even taken a firm stance on your own beliefs?

The people on here who have said I believe have chosen. The people on here who have said I dont have chosen. The people on here who have said: Heres the 15 reason I do/dont are still not sure themselves

Mez 0ne wrote:

So long as the person doesnt push his beliefs on you, why is there a need to discredit theirs?

Thank you, people who worry so much about the next man need to re-evaluate themselves.
I'm pretty sure Jesus wants us to worry about the next man.  I thought that was one of his main teachings.  
laugh.gif

From the OP, "If the basis for your beliefs can be scientifically explained or falsified with facts,  I won't be holding back any information."

Sillyputty has thoroughly done that.  So don't ask why can't we just leave you alone.  You decided to come into this post, read the OP, and continued to read the thread.  If you didn't want to learn, you shouldn't have read anything and carried along with your day.  We're not making you read anything or learn anything.

House (yes, from House the tv show
laugh.gif
) said it best. 

"...You know I get it, people are just looking for a way to fill the holes. But they want the holes. They wanna to live in the holes. And they go nuts when somebody else pours dirt in their holes.  Climb out of your holes, people!"

Let's all give a hand to sillyputty, people. He destroyed your "arguments", if you can even call them arguments.  I love how this has now turned into, "Stop showing my beliefs to be false!" 

Most people didn't even answer the thread title.  They just straight into why they believe in a God.  I wanted to know why they believe that there is even a god in the first place!  

Originally Posted by B Smooth 202

son posted all those graphs like they mean something. nobody wants to read that bull !%!@..

who do you think conducted those surveys? The Worldwide Atheist Association ?
laugh.gif

%@#@ outta here 

Here is some real material for real inquiring people...not machine-people with vendettas against God posting graphs from their Atheist text books. 

http://fractalontology.wordpress.com/

Quite possibly the dumbest post I've seen on NT. "All those facts you posted from major research institutions are stupid bro herp derp...Errrr, look at this blog for the realness." Also, I've read constantly in this thread how you think you're on another level above other individuals intellectually, but in those same posts it's apparent you don't even know the difference between your and you're. You're an idiot.

Ahhh I didn't punctuate the contraction correctly for you massa? I'm sorry sir. I'll make sure to do a spelling and grammar check just for you next time.

Classic Rebuttal #2: When you don't have an argument attack grammar....

of course I'm bound to make language/grammatical errors when my native culture was whipped and worked out of me.
My words have meaning to them. This is all whimsical for me.  I know my place.  

30t6p3b.gif
Those people don't represent God just because they say they do and you believe what they say, that shows how truly unsophisticated your outlook is when you hold those idiots with any kind of regard merely because they hold an influential position in this bull $#+% society.

Bad exists for good to exist.Furthermore if you gave real scripture a chance , or actually read instead of posting your big industry funded statistical graphs, you would see that scriptures warn against people who pose as believers to compensate for their true reality.

I can respect people being honest and saying they are Atheist because their are a lot of people who use organized religion as a veil for their own immoral conduct, but I still feel like if you embrace atheist sentiments your asking to be a target.
and then you try the good ol' I'm atheist so I'm a smarter person that a believer. WRONG. That exposes your own Atheist-hypocrisy.

These are baseless assertions, not facts.

From the OP, "If the basis for your beliefs can be scientifically explained or
falsified with facts,  I won't be holding back any information."

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
O man my bad Im in here arguing like a fool when the original thread was scientifically prove why you believe in God
laugh.gif

Thats like sayin scientifically prove you love your family
laugh.gif

Dead from the start. Im out

Because I actually care if what I think:
A. is Logical

B. Is true. 

Everything else is for you to have fun with. But to just play it off like religion has NO influence on the lives of others is just patently false...thus I DO take the time to poke holes in arguments and I love to expose the inconsistencies of popular stances in people who have never taken the time to assess what it is that they think they know. 

Downplaying my stance as "well its only one person so who matters" isn't the point. There are tons of people out there with doubt who are scared to come forward and admit it. Before the internet there would probably be half as many atheists out there...too many people were scared to look for the information...instead they stayed in their mental bubbles and didn't know any of this stuff...its the least I can do to at least introduce some objective and consistently rational basis into the argument.

I mean did you not read Steinbeckballa? Dude thinks he sinned before he was born. What type of messed up way to live is that??? 
sick.gif

So your goal is to instill as much doubt and disbelief as you have??

Im not saying religion doesnt influence society. I grew up in UTAH
laugh.gif
that place is RAN by the Mormon church. Im just saying people have the right to believe whatever they want

If you were on here just saying "I dont believe in God, I believe that we have complete control of our futures, our lives, our success and our failures" I wouldnt even had said anything. But instead youre on here breaking down every statement into bits and pieces, like an experiment. And because youre an intelligent dude, youre using scientific explanations and historical evidence to disprove their hypothesis
laugh.gif

But is it that you believe THRU and THRU that there is no God, or is it that you have so much doubt and so many questions that you refuse to believe there could be one?

You said it yourself  "There very well COULD be a god. But nothing you or anyone else has said supports that logically, or with any substantial evidence"

How can you be SOOO adamant about trying to discredit, and disprove others, when you yourself havent even taken a firm stance on your own beliefs?

The people on here who have said I believe have chosen. The people on here who have said I dont have chosen. The people on here who have said: Heres the 15 reason I do/dont are still not sure themselves

Here is an example of why SillyPutty is exploiting your "beliefs".

Say all your friends still believed in Santa Clause.  You continue to show rationally and logically in every shape or form possible known to man that it is absurd to believe in him, but their only response is "You can't prove that he doesn't exist! Why can't you just do you and let me believe what I want!?" 

It's just like cmon son, really?  You're just gonna believe in Santa Clause like that?  smh....

Ahhh I didn't punctuate the contraction correctly for you massa? I'm sorry sir. I'll make sure to do a spelling and grammar check just for you next time.

Classic Rebuttal #2: When you don't have an argument attack grammar....

of course I'm bound to make language/grammatical errors when my native culture was whipped and worked out of me.
My words have meaning to them. This is all whimsical for me.  I know my place. 
My argument was that you dismissed everything that the OP said by passing it off as something written by the "The Worldwide Atheist Association" and then continuing to insist people check out a random blog. You're the one dodging the argument. Secondly, I don't care what you do. I was just pointing out that you articulate yourself like a 12 year old. It becomes very apparent when checking your twitter page.

I still dont understand why alot of atheists try so hard? U asked a question and many people have answered that question. they gave you reasons why they beleive in god, and if that really all you wanted to know you could have listened to the responses and whether u believed they were legit reasons or not moved on because you got ur answer. But alas for one reason or another u cant just let other people believe what they believe, your just gonna pretend like science is perfect and absolut and everyone else is an idiot for not agreeing with you...........if a believed my dog was god and im not hurting anyone with my belief (and dont try and tell me we are hurting people with our beliefs, i highly doubt anyone on nt are starting any religous wars, if thats ur problem you should be campaining to take religion out of the government not attacking people on nt) why would u care? If u believe theres nothingness after death anyway why couldnt you just let me live and be happy?

ok so their assertions then that doesn't mean they are't true....What is a real fact?

Do you need empirical evidence to prove something? No.

From the OP, "If the basis for your beliefs can be scientifically explained or
falsified with facts,  I won't be holding back any information."

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
O man my bad Im in here arguing like a fool when the original thread was scientifically prove why you believe in God
laugh.gif

Thats like sayin scientifically prove you love your family
laugh.gif

Dead from the start. Im out

Again, not why you believe in a god, but why you believe that there is even a god in the first place.
I'm not asking for your reasons for believing in god.

I'm asking for your reasons as to why you think a god exists.

When you think of everything in the Universe as a collective existence, the memory of that complete existence is equal to a One Whole God. The Will of God is Inevitable.

Originally Posted by buggz05

When you think of everything in the Universe as a collective existence, the memory of that complete existence is equal to a One Whole God. The Will of God is Inevitable.

what?

ok so their assertions then that doesn't mean they are't true....What is a real fact?

You typically need empirical evidence to support a claim, yes. That's how it works. I can sit here and say that good can exist without evil, or that good and evil don't exist. It would be no different than what you're doing. Also, when you state that something has a "function", you're implying that something was designed for a specific role. Again, that's not necessarily true unless you can demonstrate that it is true. So yeah, if you're going to make wild claims, you might want to back them up. Otherwise you're opening the discussion up to baseless claims as support for the arguments being presented.

30t6p3b.gif

The No True Scotsman Fallacy.
http://www.logicalfallaci...mption/no-true-scotsman/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman

You can't discredit their position because they represent the SAME entity you do. How do you know they're not christian?

I actually respect islamic fundamentalists and other religious zealots...at least they're consistent enough in their faith to follow ALL of the teachings of their religion instead of picking and choosing whats convenient. With modern religious people, you never know what you get and its all up to interpretation. 

Or maybe BAD people just do BAD things and GOOD people do GOOD things. There is no objective basis for this. Good things are defined as things that people appreciate and benefit from. Thats just it. Its a subjective concept. Thats why religion also happens to work...it puts in place an objective morality that most people don't challenge until a major issue arises and things change...which is how it SHOULD work...but humans are kinda lazy as I said and want to not really invest all that effort in defining objective morality. 

BTW, saying scriptures are prophetic doesn't nothing to support your cause. They are vaguely written and can be used to justisfy any action. Rick Perry asking god for it to rain and it raining two weeks later doesn't mean that god answered his prayers. In the same way saying that there will be war over this holy land in a 100 years obviously means that there probably will ONLY because its ALWAYS been war there...prophecies are made based on the same statistical probability of PAST events that they take advantage of. 

Its funny, I've expressed opinions that counter my own points and yet you think that they're "industry produced" only because you disagree with them. Its about consistency and yet you lack any. 

I'm not even an atheist because people use religion manipulatively...i'm an atheist because the claims for their to be a god aren't substantiated. 

Lets say you had a theory to say you could calculate the speed of light. If your theory sucks in calculating the speed of light, I won't support it. It doesn't mean that there is no speed of light...it simply means that until you can present an argument that supports your claim then I'll have a reason to believe it. 

I have expressed time and time again...I am NOT smarter or better than anyone else. There are others that know more about other subjects than I EVER could...its all subjective...however presenting arguments with no fact and expecting me to accept them JUST BECAUSE is not goood enough. As I've said in earlier posts, you apply a set of rules of logic and rationale that guide you in making every day decisions in how you do anything. Yet when it comes to religion you abandon all forms of investigative understanding and just accept the first thing you hear. Thats dishonest and I won't let it slide. 

Huh???

OK...you know what? I wasn't going to go in on you but you're looking like one of those dishiki wearing dudes selling bean pies talking about ancient kemet and magic crystals. Lay off the hemp clothes and the hookah and come back to the real world. Being problack and africa is cool and all but lets make arguments that make SENSE. Nothing you've said has been in anyway reasonable nor has any fact. 

You have asked for evidence and I presented such items with clear and consistent trends throughout from DIFFERENT sources and yet none of that matches the ONE website you post. 

If you make a claim like this. Support it. What do you mean? Tell us what you're getting at. I'm willing to listen. Don't just drop quotes in with no context and expect it to all be hunky-dory. That AINT gonna happen homie. You KNOW better than that. 

Originally Posted by NikeAirForce1

Originally Posted by buggz05

what?

tumblr_lqyedv7R9S1qmfqyu.gif

tumblr_lqxi9zkwZC1qa3q5m.gif

tumblr_lqwl9nLyzC1qg66koo1_400.gif

tumblr_lqo0j0k68a1qe10rb.gif

tumblr_lqtu9m11jT1qcs2b3.gif

tumblr_lqvnjaTQQH1qmrfipo1_100.gif

tumblr_lqpu8m13Jq1r0ojhto1_250.gif

tumblr_lqrwqf428n1qe4m13.gif

tumblr_lqb57vxwt61r0byljo1_250.gif

tumblr_lqnrh8wqqp1qg2137o1_500.gif

tumblr_lqn091eXI01qdm7fi.gif

tumblr_lqm9av034z1qze175.gif

tumblr_lguhgvKvWN1qzbl7f.gif

So technically I can say anything right?

What if I said native american people are red because god cursed them. Does that make it true?!?!

(Actual Mormon Doctrine)

Back
Top Bottom