Why does everyone hate GM,Ford, and Chrysler so much now a days?

I know in the past they made some poorly made cars that were cheap, but now GM is the Number 1 selling Automotive company. Why do people still hate them so much? The newer Cars seem so well built from the interior to the outside. 

Quality of cars is crap. They're number one because of all the damn incentives they offer to customers.

If they offered zero incentives, where do you think their sales would be?

Originally Posted by jrdnsrnss

Originally Posted by odog24

because they received billions in bailouts might be one reason
GM is the only one that received bailout money.

They also payed it back ahead of time
Originally Posted by Girl Thats Drob

Quality of cars is crap. They're number one because of all the damn incentives they offer to customers.

How is that a issue?

to be honest, they do make respectable mid-level / entry level cars. However, compared to honda, toyota, hyundai, or other foreign car companies, American companies are making avid cars. The cars are built with quality? I would agree to a certain point. For example, the chrysler 300 does have a some-what luxurious interior, but again, compare it to like mercs or bimmers. No contest.

I think I speak for a lot of people when I say "why buy an american car if you can buy japanese for the same price."
No disrespect, but just my two cents.

Really, have you driven a new American car recently? Quality is much higher compared to just five years ago.

If youre referring to NT, its bc everyone wants to style (or front) in a BMW, Audi or Infiniti (sp).

I think in general, i just think they left a sour taste in peoples mouths by producing @++%*$ cars for so long.
Asian competitors produced cheaper, more reliable, more fuel efficient cars and got people to switch.

And Ford didn't take bailout money. I believe Chrysler's paid all of the bailout money they got back.

Really, have you driven a new American car recently? Quality is much higher compared to just five years ago.

Yup. I'm in the car industry as an intern now. My grandfather was an engineer for a GM plant here in the city so he pretty much gives me a rundown of all of this. I don't know maybe because I work for Mercedes my opinion is biased. Definitely improved quality but COMPARED to the foreign car makers like my man said, you can't compare. Especially when you can get cars for around the same price.

5 years ago? that really doesn't say much.

I was riding in someones 2000 Impala one day and the interior was so crappy and cheap looking for the time it was released. Plastic everything! The steering wheel looked cheap for crying out loud. Why did they even release that car with that much cheap material and expects it to sell???? Why were they even doing that for so long? 

Quality of cars is crap

i guess you didn't see that caddies were top 3 in JD power quality
grin.gif

NT is coastal biased, da majority of us come from NY or CALI and those states are da ones that favor foreign cars over domestics da most, you go to da midwest or south

and its all American classics.

Originally Posted by ninjahood

Quality of cars is crap

grin.gif
caddies compared to merc, bimmer, audi, or lexus... not even close. 

Originally Posted by TheGr8BlkHope

If youre referring to NT, its bc everyone wants to style (or front) in a BMW, Audi or Infiniti (sp).

I think in general, i just think they left a sour taste in peoples mouths by producing @++%*$ cars for so long.
Asian competitors produced cheaper, more reliable, more fuel efficient cars and got people to switch.

And Ford didn't take bailout money. I believe Chrysler's paid all of the bailout money they got back.
Hit the nail on the head. Brand loyalty has been established towards Japanese and European automakers for a majority of families, while American cars still face the stigma from their past neglect of compact and midsize cars.

Originally Posted by cw0974

Quality of cars is crap

grin.gif
caddies compared to merc, bimmer, audi, or lexus... not even close. 
wanna bet on it?

[h1]Lexus, Porsche, Cadillac Top J.D. Power 2012 Dependability Study[/h1]
By Richard Read

3,146 views Feb 15, 2012

Follow Richard

j-d-power-and-associates-2012-u-s-vehicle-dependability-study_100382142_m.jpg

J.D. Power and Associates' 2012 U.S. Vehicle Dependability Study

The results of J.D. Power and Associates' 2012 U.S. Vehicle Dependability Study have just been released, and there's plenty of good news for auto fans.

Power's Dependability Study looks at problems associated with vehicles that are three model-years old (so the 2012 study examined rides from the 2009 model year). Power representatives interview original owners of those vehicles to find out how many problems they've experienced over the past 12 months. For the 2012 study, J.D. Power spoke to over 31,000 vehicle owners between October and December of 2011.

To assign rankings, J.D. Power calculates the number of problems reported per hundred vehicles, or PP 100. When all the data had been crunched for 2012, the news was good for most car companies: of the 32 brands included in the 2012 Dependability Study, a whopping 25 improved on their scores from 2011, with only six losing ground and one remaining flat.

Even better for Detroit fans: domestic marques improved faster than their foreign rivals. In 2011, they averaged 18 PP 100 more than imports. In 2012, that figure was cut to 13 PP 100.

In the end, though, Toyota was the Power's big winner for 2012. The Japanese automaker's premium brand -- Lexus -- drove to the #1 spot, with 86 PP 100. Porsche, Cadillac, Toyota, and Toyota's youth-oriented Scion rounded out the top five, followed by Mercedes-Benz, Lincoln, Ford, Buick, and Hyundai.

And despite the aforementioned improvements in Detroit, Chrysler's four brands landed in the bottom four spots, with the Chrysler brand on the lowest rung at 192 PP 100. Going up, we find Dodge, Jeep, Ram, Jaguar, Infiniti, Volkswagen, Kia, Suzuki, Mazda, and MINI. 

As far as specific models go, the Lexus LS had the fewest reported problems of any vehicle on the road, with 72 PP 100. Other vehicles of note include:
Why the improvements?

David Sargent, the vice president of global automotive at J.D. Power and Associates, says that while 2009 was a grim year for car sales, it was a great year for buyers: "Despite facing immense challenges in 2009, automakers placed a keen focus on delivering outstanding levels of quality, which they understood would be essential to their long-term success....Three years later, owners of these models are enjoying unprecedented levels of vehicle dependability....

Sargent points out that that's good news for car companies, too: happy customers become repeat customers and help improve a brand's image.

And as an added bonus: if you own a vehicle from the 2009 model year, you may get more than you expect when it comes time to trade it in for a new ride.

For a complete breakdown of J.D. Power dependability scores by brand, enlarge the graphic above, or visit JDPower.com.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/new...dillac-top-j-d-power-2012-dependability-study

Originally Posted by AirPhilippines

Hit the nail on the head. Brand loyalty has been established towards Japanese and European automakers for a majority of families, while American cars still face the stigma from their past neglect of compact and midsize cars.
I don't know about that, again like dude said i guess it depends where your from. I know several people that have brand loyalty to an American brand. Same can be said for foreign cars but i wouldn't say the majority of families have brand loyalty to Japanese or European. Keep in mind also that their are more than double the amount of American cars on the road compared to foreign so that says a lot about American. On a side note this thread will turn into a foreign vs. domestic war by the end of page two.

NT is coastal biased, da majority of us come from NY or CALI and those states are da ones that favor foreign cars over domestics da most, you go to da midwest or south

This is true. But come on dude Cadillac's top beating out MB by 8 cars? And peep the other GM brands 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
. At the end of the day, American cars are just crap compared to foreign cars when it comes to quality, reliability and safety (obviously). 
There's no debate.

This is true. But come on dude Cadillac's top beating out MB by 8 cars? And peep the other GM brands 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
. At the end of the day, American cars are just crap compared to foreign cars when it comes to quality, reliability and safety (obviously). 
There's no debate.
thank you.

I don't know about that, again like dude said i guess it depends where your from. I know several people that have brand loyalty to an American brand. Same can be said for foreign cars but i wouldn't say the majority of families have brand loyalty to Japanese or European. Keep in mind also that their are more than double the amount of American cars on the road compared to foreign so that says a lot about American. On a side note this thread will turn into a foreign vs. domestic war by the end of page two.
Well what type of cars do they drive? I'm specifically talking about the core midsize/compact market over the last decade. Not including pickups/suvs which (based on what I've seen) have sold more than their car counterparts. Cars such as Accord, Camry, Fusion, Malibu, Civic, Corolla, Focus, Fiesta, Sonic, etc. Until very recently with the new Fusion/Fiesta I've never heard anyone really give any consideration to any American car.

Well what type of cars do they drive? I'm specifically talking about the core midsize/compact market over the last decade. Not including pickups/suvs which (based on what I've seen) have sold more than their car counterparts. Cars such as Accord, Camry, Fusion, Malibu, Civic, Corolla, Focus, Fiesta, Sonic, etc. Until very recently with the new Fusion/Fiesta I've never heard anyone really give any consideration to any American car.
Not including SUV's or trucks, why not? Do you know how many families have brand loyalty to Chevy and Ford due to their truck or SUV. Brand loyalty stems from having one model that someone fell in love with and led them to buying another car/truck/suv from that same company. F150 is the best selling thing on four wheels in this country, someone falling in love with it decides to buy a car for their family or for their wife, etc could lead to a sale to a Fusion, Taurus, Focus, or Fiesta.

I love all cars, i don't care what country its from but i hate to see American cars still getting hate for bad cars they made in the past. Theirs a lot of bang for your buck with them and you can get pretty much any type of car you want from a domestic automaker. Truck, luxury, suv, sports car...everything.

Not including SUV's or trucks, why not? Do you know how many families have brand loyalty to Chevy and Ford due to their truck or SUV. Brand loyalty stems from having one model that someone fell in love with and led them to buying another car/truck/suv from that same company. F150 is the best selling thing on four wheels in this country, someone falling in love with it decides to buy a car for their family or for their wife, etc could lead to a sale to a Fusion, Taurus, Focus, or Fiesta.

I love all cars, i don't care what country its from but i hate to see American cars still getting hate for bad cars they made in the past. Theirs a lot of bang for your buck with them and you can get pretty much any type of car you want from a domestic automaker. Truck, luxury, suv, sports car...everything.

Thats exactly my point which you seem to be missing. Their past focus was heavily on SUV's and trucks that they neglected that particular market segment which a considerable amount of car buyers are looking to purchase in. Once gas prices started to go up and consumers began to switch to more fuel efficient cars was when they finally decided to seriously develop cars in that market and only now do you see cars like the Fusion and the Fiesta seriously competing with Honda/Toyota. Their past neglect of the small/midsize car segment leads to their perception of unreliabilty. This perception is primarily based on their CARS not their SUV's/Trucks which are their bread and butter.

Back
Top Bottom