Why does the media pretend these college athletes aint eating?

Star athletes for big time programs do. The Johnny Manziels, the Cam Newtons, the Vince Youngs and Reggie Bushes of the world impact revenue on a dramatically disproportionate level than a good employee for a regular company ever can.

add Tebow to the mix and that's 5 polarizing players that generate large revenue for their respective teams, but how long has it been since those programs had players of that caliber?

You guys act like these programs have huge stars year in and year out, USC is still waiting for the next Reggie Bush, Florida is still waiting for the next Tebow.

Exploitation is a very aggressive term being thrown around, these kids are playing sports as a choice....THEY choose what program they want to go to if they are sought after.

Last edited:
You can't "throw the pro argument out".

What part of the simple concept of once you're paid, you're not longer an amateur do you guys not get?

If they get paid any compensation for playing, they're professionals. Plain and simple.

Star athletes for big time programs do. The Johnny Manziels, the Cam Newtons, the Vince Youngs and Reggie Bushes of the world impact revenue on a dramatically disproportionate level than a good employee for a regular company ever can.

add Tebow to the mix and that's 5 polarizing players that generate large revenue for their respective teams, but how long has it been since those programs had players of that caliber?

You guys act like these programs have huge stars year in and year out, USC is still waiting for the next Reggie Bush, Florida is still waiting for the next Tebow.

Exploitation is a very aggressive term being thrown around, these kids are playing sports as a choice....THEY choose what program they want to go to if they are sought after.
It's really not just those few players. Every year there are players who have their likenesses plastered everywhere to promote NCAAF. Matt Barkley, Manti Teo (pre-scandal), RGIII, Andrew Luck, just from the last few years alone were all household names before ever playing at the professional level. Not only because of their play, but because of how visible they were through marketing. A lot of money was being generated as a result of their images.

I could name more going further back: Colt McCoy, Mark Ingram, Sam Bradford, Michael Crabtree, Matt Ryan, Brady Quinn, Troy Smith.. all of those players were critical to their school's representation during their playing years, equivalent to a face of a franchise for those 3-4 years. You're telling me that in any other situation, those individuals wouldn't be entitled to any sort of compensation?

If any of the players I named left their football programs at the height of their buzz, that school's national relevancy in the public eye would have immediately dropped.

Also, I believe you're from NY correct? One thing you may not be considering is that a lot of these CFB players have more celebrity than NFL players in certain areas. In NY kids want to be like Eli, but in Alabama they want to be like AJ McCarron. It might sound stupid, but it really is true if you've ever been in a big college football town. Just imagine how much marketing power is actually behind some of these guys playing for schools like Alabama, Texas, Florida, etc.

Last edited:
Detractors are completely missing the point.

Noone with knowledge on this topic is saying to immediately cut a check to any and all college athletes. Hell I'm not even saying cut a check to AJ McCarron, Johnny Manziel, Aaron Murray or DeAnthony Thomas. There are many possibilities for rightful compensation but that method is going to run into problems and will be difficult to gauge the monetary incentive of each individual to a team or university.

The most thought out and feasible solution so far is allowing individual athletes to market their likenesses.

But NOOOOOOOOOOOOO, the NCAA won't even allow that. That is the inherent flaw. The NCAA isn't just any institution. It's a governing body that completely controls athletes lives. Sound familiar?

As previously stated, college students who receive others types of aid whether academic, need based etc. are free to gain compensation however they like. But athletes are restricted from doing anything outside of working a few hours over the summer.

Joel Bauman lost his eligibility by putting videos on youtube.

Look at Terrelle Pryor. You can't even sell your own ****.

That is flat out wrong and *** backwards.

I wish we would remove the pro argument from this... %99 percent of these cats aren't going pro.

@sp: that was your boy talking about college being a not for profit institution. :lol:

You're slow. Red herrings, deflections and personal anecdotes abound as justification for this.

You've equated students athletes to a workforce. Simple, if they are working they should be paid right?

Unpaid internship? Great more proof of collusion.

If you raise millions for a non-profit how much will you see? If your job is fundraising for a non-profit then obviously you won't see the money. But that's not what athletes should be doing in the first place. Not only that, by definition they're amateurs they can't be raising money (working as you put it) for the school.

This system of amateurism is archaic. It has got around not only refusing to pay athletes but also not paying for players who get hurt. They also get to avoid paying taxes on the salaries of their "workforce". Receiving funding and gaining surpluses(profits) and allocating to not only the organization (Colleges) but their own pockets. Double dipping. Why do coaches and administration salaries keep going up and have bowl games paying out millions, If athletic departments are supposedly in the red?

It's 2013 and college sports is now a billion dollar business. It's wrong. If you can't see this I don't know what to tell you.

im $80,000 dollars in debt from school. id love to be in a position where that was zero from an athletic scholarship

They ain't hurtin by any means. I know a few high major football/hoops guys that always have a ton of cash, but they certainly could be making more.

Where are all the people who are defending Manizel when Pryor did a similar thing?

I don't remember people wanting to change the rules then....Hmmmm

Why don't we just solve this issue by forcing every pro league to open up an extensive minor league system then. Return college athletics to what it was, a true student athlete that played because he loved the sport and was actually smart enough to keep a respectable GPA. 99% of schools will save money this way by not having to waste it on large athletic programs and academics again become the focus of universities. Especially since now people are complaining that colleges are too expensive and don't give the same bang for the buck in terms of preparing people for the working world. The Alabama's and UNCs are a minority in college athletics. Schools like Rutgers, which hasn't turned a profitable football year yet are examples of how costly sports programs are at the expense of academics most of the time.

I mean don't get me wrong, I love college basketball, but after going through undergrad, doing grad school now, and reading books about college athletics as a whole and how they have had a negative impact on most schools, I've realized that its all a sham at the end anyway and a minor league system for pro sports. Screw that, make them invest in these athletes, since in reality, it's the pro teams that benefit the most out of this system anyway. And let us all get something straight, most of these current "student athletes" don't even learn anything. All they really do is show up. I've coached some players that went to D1 and had a few friends that played middle D1 ball, so I know how it all works.

Last edited:
Why don't we just solve this issue by forcing every pro league to open up an extensive minor league system then. Return college athletics to what it was, a true student athlete that played because he loved the sport and was actually smart enough to keep a respectable GPA. 99% of schools will save money this way by not having to waste it on large athletic programs and academics again become the focus of universities. Especially since now people are complaining that colleges are too expensive and don't give the same bang for the buck in terms of preparing people for the working world. The Alabama's and UNCs are a minority in college athletics. Schools like Rutgers, which hasn't turned a profitable football year yet are examples of how costly sports programs are at the expense of academics most of the time.

I mean don't get me wrong, I love college basketball, but after going through undergrad, doing grad school now, and reading books about college athletics as a whole and how they have had a negative impact on most schools, I've realized that its all a sham at the end anyway and a minor league system for pro sports. Screw that, make them invest in these athletes, since in reality, it's the pro teams that benefit the most out of this system anyway. And let us all get something straight, most of these current "student athletes" don't even learn anything. All they really do is show up. I've coached some players that went to D1 and had a few friends that played middle D1 ball, so I know how it all works.

Theres no way that will or should happen. Most of the big D-1 schools turn a profit from Football and Basketball. What makes them lose their profits are giving scholarships to non-revenue male sports and women sports.

You're generalizing in regards to most student athletes not learning anything. Because lets be real, do most of regular students in university actually learn something? College is mainly a way to symbolize that you paid your dues and are smart enough to do some critical thinking.

Lets not act like college students are leaps and bounds more intelligent than a basic high school graduate.

Last edited:
Theres no way that will or should happen. Most of the big D-1 schools turn a profit from Football and Basketball. What makes them lose their profits are giving scholarships to non-revenue male sports and women sports.

You're generalizing in regards to most student athletes not learning anything. Because lets be real, do most of regular students in university actually learn something? College is mainly a way to symbolize that you paid your dues and are smart enough to do some critical thinking.

Lets not act like college students are leaps and bounds more intelligent than a basic high school graduate.

That is maybe in your average state school or lower academic school in the south. However, schools that I went to and had close friends go to are leaps and bounds more challenging. But then again, we all went to top 50 schools so it's different. And how do you say most schools turn a profit. There are 250+ D1 programs. In football about 30 turn profit. In basketball about the same, maybe a little bit more. Again you're the one generalizing. Schools have used sports programs to draw in students that are the middle of the pack by giving them amenities. It doesn't do anything in terms of actually fostering in education. You're going to tell me that tailgating on a Saturday morning fosters some sort of school spirit? Please preach that to someone that to someone else.

Last edited:
i know as a booster for both Florida State and UNC-Charlotte, as soon as athletes are paid to play, i will stop donating any money to atheletics.

That is maybe in your average state school or lower academic school in the south. However, schools that I went to and had close friends go to are leaps and bounds more challenging. But then again, we all went to top 50 schools so it's different. And how do you say most schools turn a profit. There are 250+ D1 programs. In football about 30 turn profit. In basketball about the same, maybe a little bit more. Again you're the one generalizing. Schools have used sports programs to draw in students that are the middle of the pack by giving them amenities. It doesn't do anything in terms of actually fostering in education. You're going to tell me that tailgating on a Saturday morning fosters some sort of school spirit? Please preach that to someone that to someone else.

You're the one who was generalizing

58% of football programs and 56% of men's basketball programs are self-sufficient.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/ncaa-revenue-expense-report-2011-6#ixzz2bLNYMYGO

The programs that aren't self sufficient are mainly non BCS type Football teams

Also stop with this North vs South bull.

Big deal that you felt like your top 50 university was more challenging If you aren't getting paid nicely when you graduate, it was a bad investment. The purpose of college is to pay your dues and get paid well relatively when you graduate.

Back
Top Bottom