"Why don't a majority African American's have there own business ?"

basing this off only what i see, a lot of african americans who start their own businesses fail in that business venture.

basing this off only what i see, a lot of african americans who start their own businesses fail in that business venture.

Originally Posted by krazy88s

Originally Posted by Dropten

I dont mean to be the grammer police but....damn OP
indifferent.gif
 +
eyes.gif

????

I will say when ever Im back home in Atlanta my County (Dekalb) has some of the most successful Blacks in the Nation, behind some suburb in the DMV area, also there a ton of Black run businesses. But The City I go to School in, its a shame for it to have a Black population so large, and it being a tourist city at that, but nobody really making moves to start businesses smh

I will say when ever Im back home in Atlanta my County (Dekalb) has some of the most successful Blacks in the Nation, behind some suburb in the DMV area, also there a ton of Black run businesses. But The City I go to School in, its a shame for it to have a Black population so large, and it being a tourist city at that, but nobody really making moves to start businesses smh

Originally Posted by HOOSIERdaddy282

Originally Posted by PleasurePhD

Of course there are. I got two friends that both graduated Ivy League on full rides. It happens.... but how many Blacks can actually say that? It's rough out there for your typical C/B-student. It's especially tough when you're of color. That's just reality. the two people I know will be the two smartest people I've ever known, as long as I live. I guarantee that. And both are from Gary, Indiana. Imagine the odds. But it's just not your typical story, Pleasure doc..

EDIT: what people fail to realize is that college scholarships are band aids. The inner city school system has AIDS son.. The three of us are outliers. I can't even explain to you how BAD the school system really is and how lucky I am to be able to type in complete, coherent, and structured thoughts. You just don't know kid..
30t6p3b.gif
I see. I get your point. The grants are there, but because of the K-12 system not many Black even know how to get or end up being qualified to receive these grants. Right? I know, I know it's unfortunate
tired.gif

Of course there are. I got two friends that both graduated Ivy League on full rides. It happens.... but how many Blacks can actually say that? It's rough out there for your typical C/B-student. It's especially tough when you're of color. That's just reality. the two people I know will be the two smartest people I've ever known, as long as I live. I guarantee that. And both are from Gary, Indiana. Imagine the odds. But it's just not your typical story, Pleasure doc..

EDIT: what people fail to realize is that college scholarships are band aids. The inner city school system has AIDS son.. The three of us are outliers. I can't even explain to you how BAD the school system really is and how lucky I am to be able to type in complete, coherent, and structured thoughts. You just don't know kid..
30t6p3b.gif
I see. I get your point. The grants are there, but because of the K-12 system not many Black even know how to get or end up being qualified to receive these grants. Right? I know, I know it's unfortunate
tired.gif

And there you have it... affirmative action was a joke... it still is.. but it beats nothing at all. Like I said, segregation gave way to apartheid... on the low though..

And there you have it... affirmative action was a joke... it still is.. but it beats nothing at all. Like I said, segregation gave way to apartheid... on the low though..

Public Education System teaches you how to find a job/
Private Education System teaches you to how to create a job.

Public Education System teaches you how to find a job/
Private Education System teaches you to how to create a job.

What's sad is that people still think "affirmative action" is ridiculous, unfair, and so many other bad things. Like they are hiring unqualified minorities just because.

Some people use it as an excuse to justify their lack of qualification, that they "didn't get they job cause there are a Black guy at the interview"

Originally Posted by LadiiKix

Because they don't know when to use "their" and "there" so loan officers don't take them seriously.

indifferent.gif

that's racist

Originally Posted by LadiiKix

Because they don't know when to use "their" and "there" so loan officers don't take them seriously.

indifferent.gif

that's racist

What's sad is that people still think "affirmative action" is ridiculous, unfair, and so many other bad things. Like they are hiring unqualified minorities just because.

Some people use it as an excuse to justify their lack of qualification, that they "didn't get they job cause there are a Black guy at the interview"

What's sad is that people still think affirmative action is ridiculous, unfair, and so many other bad things. Like they are hiring unqualified minorities for because.
yup the effects of the slavery and all the discrimination are still being felt today but everyone claims we're all equal.

What's sad is that people still think affirmative action is ridiculous, unfair, and so many other bad things. Like they are hiring unqualified minorities for because.
yup the effects of the slavery and all the discrimination are still being felt today but everyone claims we're all equal.

There's so much sad !+@$ NT has made me aware of.
laugh.gif
All it takes is a boring day and some really good comprehension skills and you'll read the most lopsided and sheltered views of the world in this place. That's why I come here. I'm pretty intelligent... probably in the 140 range. I can learn about anything I want to with the power of the internet. But I know that my particular cubby hole of a city isn't the best place to learn about the world or its people. So I learn about it via posts and threads from people from other places.... we can't all go off to college, ya know.. plus NT is free
wink.gif

There's so much sad !+@$ NT has made me aware of.
laugh.gif
All it takes is a boring day and some really good comprehension skills and you'll read the most lopsided and sheltered views of the world in this place. That's why I come here. I'm pretty intelligent... probably in the 140 range. I can learn about anything I want to with the power of the internet. But I know that my particular cubby hole of a city isn't the best place to learn about the world or its people. So I learn about it via posts and threads from people from other places.... we can't all go off to college, ya know.. plus NT is free
wink.gif

Originally Posted by socluis90

I agree with you man, but not even that. Not even the whole slavery thing. People's excuse for that is "it happened hundreds of years ago, let it go..."

All the while not taking into consideration civil rights were being fought for just around the corner. It hasn't even been a lifetime since. I mean people are still alive that were in the movement.

Originally Posted by socluis90

I agree with you man, but not even that. Not even the whole slavery thing. People's excuse for that is "it happened hundreds of years ago, let it go..."

All the while not taking into consideration civil rights were being fought for just around the corner. It hasn't even been a lifetime since. I mean people are still alive that were in the movement.

Originally Posted by Ducky Quack

Originally Posted by JOE CAMEL SMOOTH

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Erase the black part of the statement. PEOPLE are taught to be servants and honey bees. Not just black people.

to be fair that's sort of how it works.
youre gonna always have more "servants" than business owners because a business needs employees.

and do you know how many small businesses fail/lose money? starting one up is not something most can or should do.

but i suppose you're right, it wouldn't hurt to have a little more entrepreneurship. 

Completely true -- most people don't have the business savvy to start a business and sustain it, which is why many small businesses fail to become profitable within one year, or to recoup the debt it took to start it. Sometimes, a successful business is just about locating a niche, or just having a great network and a good opportunity that presents itself. Too often, some people start a business just to start one and that of course, spells disaster. It is good to have a passion for something, but like anything else there is a right and wrong way to do things.
Also it takes a high tolerance for risk to start your own business, something many people don't posess.
Most are hard-wired to value some sort of security very highly. With a job working for a corporation you have that.......health care, steady paycheck, etc. When starting your own business, something with a VERY high failure rate, there are no safety nets.

If you're risk adverse, you shouldn't do it. It's not worth it to you.

Back
Top Bottom