WHY EVERY PAIR OF GLASSES ON PLANET EARTH IS THE SAME

i thought its been known, and i think someone mentioned it on here before that one company pretty much makes every single pair of glasses and sunglasses for high and low end brands.
thats why ill never go out and spend $300+ on a pair
I just dropped $370 a couple days ago on a pair of oliver peoples with prescription
mean.gif

Perhaps you do not understand the current partnership between Nike, Foot Locker. They only sell Nike Product.

so what's all this then? :smh:

and no maybe YOU don't understand that HOH is a specialty store under the Foot Locker brand. Foot Locker stores all carry Reebok, Adidas (they're pushing that hard this year with window displays & ads on the TVs in the store), New Balance, New Era hats, & Timberland (seasonal). A company like them doesn't get to the top of the sneaker retail world by only carrying Nike

Last edited:
^ and what's wrong with that? they (Foot Locker) obviously can't expand any more (they tried to buy FinishLine twice but they said no) retail-wise... they got FTL/FA/Champs for the malls, CCS for action sports, & Eastbay for HS/college athletes. they have every other target market covered; you'll NEVER see more HoHs than Foot Locker/FA/Champs locations -- it helps Nike (less Niketowns they gotta build) & allows Foot Locker to have a place to ship all their basketball gear that doesn't move in regular FTL/FA/Champs stores

Last edited:
I always thought this was common knowledge? A $300 pair of sunglasses isn't 10x better than a $30 pair of sunglasses, but it is better in terms of quality. The rest of the price difference is the perceived value of the brand name.

It's been like this for as long as commerce has existed. Nothing new here.

I always thought this was common knowledge? A $300 pair of sunglasses isn't 10x better than a $30 pair of sunglasses, but it is better in terms of quality. The rest of the price difference is the perceived value of the brand name.

i don't think that pricing/value is what's interesting or surprising to people.

Nice not seeing Cazal or Dita under that list of brands under Luxottica or Safilo

:smokin :smokin :smokin

I don't even mind the more expensive frames since sometimes you can find some for lower prices, it's the lense prices that kill you :x. My prescription lenses seem so damn expensive.

its a duopoly

because there's another big dog
[h1]Safilo[/h1]
There's a few other manufacturers out there, Safilo, Marcolin, Marchon, etc, etc.
Oliver Peoples' is pretty pissed about their situation.
They were originally bought out by Oakley.
A few years back Jim Jannard (Phil Knight of Oakley) sold the company for 2 bil to Lux.
If O.Peoples knew that would've happened, they never would've initially sold to Oakley!

Monopolized the industry by vertically and horizontally integrating. Genius if you ask me. More so than DeBeers.

No need to complain. Have you seen the post you sunglasses thread?

I thought it was assumed that most luxury brands charge rape prices, on anything. The biggest joke is designer watches...dudes think their stuntin with and armani watch when you're better off getting a seiko.

All the high end brands don't even design their own lines. :smh:
All the peeps flaunting their goods on post your sunglasses thread paid a lot of money for that little designer label.

so what's all this then?
mean.gif

and no maybe YOU don't understand that HOH is a specialty store under the Foot Locker brand. Foot Locker stores all carry Reebok, Adidas (they're pushing that hard this year with window displays & ads on the TVs in the store), New Balance, New Era hats, & Timberland (seasonal). A company like them doesn't get to the top of the sneaker retail world by only carrying Nike
NO. The problem is with your selective reasoning, then the refusal to be wrong.  
you'll have to forgive the homie, he has a severe anti nike streak in him. but you did delete an important part of his equation. HOH, which is a essentially a partnership between nike and footlocker.
Nope, the issue is the overabundant love for Nike, a company that is doing their loyal fan base pretty dirty.
^ and what's wrong with that? they (Foot Locker) obviously can't expand any more (they tried to buy FinishLine twice but they said no) retail-wise... they got FTL/FA/Champs for the malls, CCS for action sports, & Eastbay for HS/college athletes. they have every other target market covered; you'll NEVER see more HoHs than Foot Locker/FA/Champs locations -- it helps Nike (less Niketowns they gotta build) & allows Foot Locker to have a place to ship all their basketball gear that doesn't move in regular FTL/FA/Champs stores
What's wrong with it is exactly what was discussed in the piece on eye wear, where the company ships out to retailers, where they can charge exorbitant prices, especially after seeing how much people like you will spend on limited items on ebay. So Nike will put out the X at two seventy, cutting out the middle man through the partnership with HOH, while only selling limited Nike goods, they've become the Nike Town's where there are none. So where does Adidas, Reebok, Under Armour, Li Ning, and other companies sell? Well just like with the Oakley situation, where the company refused to deal with them and the stock dropped through the floor, it gives Nike leverage in the market, with Footlocker refusing to sell top of the line products by other brands. If all you see is Nike when you enter the store, as with Persol and Gucci with the glasses, you'll think that all you have to choose from are those brands, with no other options to compare.

Good business for Nike, but just like with the eyeglass situation, bad news for the consumer. 

Last edited:
People trying to buy a label and then complaining they can't afford it. *rolls eyes* Keep it moving.

Last edited:
Nope, the issue is the overabundant love for Nike, a company that is doing their loyal fan base pretty dirty.
What's wrong with it is exactly what was discussed in the piece on eye wear, where the company ships out to retailers, where they can charge exorbitant prices, especially after seeing how much people like you will spend on limited items on ebay. So Nike will put out the X at two seventy, cutting out the middle man through the partnership with HOH, while only selling limited Nike goods, they've become the Nike Town's where there are none. So where does Adidas, Reebok, Under Armour, Li Ning, and other companies sell? Well just like with the Oakley situation, where the company refused to deal with them and the stock dropped through the floor, it gives Nike leverage in the market, with Footlocker refusing to sell top of the line products by other brands. If all you see is Nike when you enter the store, as with Persol and Gucci with the glasses, you'll think that all you have to choose from are those brands, with no other options to compare.

Good business for Nike, but just like with the eyeglass situation, bad news for the consumer. 
So then where do you go to find the just-as-good-but-cheaper alternatives?

Warby Parker gets my approval and business.

Yo, we need an official alternative brands thread.

Anything to counter-balance the monopolistic market presence of ray-ban, nike etc. I recall some NT'er was selling those dope bamboo sunglasses online. I rather support a fellow NT'er of an independent/start-up brand rather than these multinationals who do their workers and customers dirty.

never heard of them and just checked em out. i can get behind their plan. how are they doing business wise? how known/big are they?

I read an article about them and their business model was profitable very early on. Although this isn't the link I originally read, it offers a good look into the minds of the founders. It also brings up the optical industry and even refers to the general idea discussed in this thread about how the industry is dominated by few players and is essentially an oligopoly.

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/hip-eyewear-warby-parkers-new-spectacles-07012011.html

Yo, we need an official alternative brands thread.

Anything to counter-balance the monopolistic market presence of ray-ban, nike etc. I recall some NT'er was selling those dope bamboo sunglasses online. I rather support a fellow NT'er of an independent/start-up brand rather than these multinationals who do their workers and customers dirty.

I am definitely in favor of supporting more independent entities, which coincidentally have a lot of work done in the US, which is great for our economy.

I highly recommend checking out Etsy if you want to support small business owners. Crowd-sourcing companies such as Kickstarter often showcase new brands too.

Last edited:
:lol: Thought everyone knew about that hustle of Luxottica. They are the eyewear mafia.

It's pretty crazy that brands like Tiffany & Co. and Prada just put their label on something Lux designs.

But...it was NEVER Nike's plan for every city/state to get a Niketown (although I'm sure they plan to build more if they can sell Cole Haan & Umbro). Their "landmark" Niketown stores are primarily reserved for big cities. I live in SC currently and know they'll NEVER build one here (nor a HOH) because they have Nike outlets in the 2 biggest cities (Charleston & Myrtle Beach) already. How is Nike cutting out the middle man with the Lebron X? Lebron Xs are sold in regular FTLs, FinishLine, Jimmy Jazz; alongside HOHs. Foot Locker only sells top of the line products from Nike? They were one of the first retailers to carry New Balance's Minimus line, the Adidas Helium/Adipure/AdiZero Rose lines, & Reebok Zig lines (running & John Wall basketball line). Retail store "space" is based on what companies pay the retailer the most (pass a Foot Locker every month and the window displays/mannequins ALWAYS change); it has NOTHING to do with "fanbase" or "equal space". Where do Adidas, Reebok, Under Armour, & Li Ning get sold? If it's not in your local store, IT'S ON FOOTLOCKER.COM! You're acting like those 1500 sq. ft stores can actually maintain/stock THOUSANDS of shoes that are available on their 24/7 online store :smh:

I used to work for Foot Locker, we had flip books in all the Mens/Womens/Kids shoe walls with PLENTY non-Nike shoes available for order; which could be shipped to their house or to the store. But you carry on with your "Foot Locker & Nike are plotting a monopoly" conspiracy theories

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom