Why Is Smoking Cigs Seemingly Ingrained In Asian-American Culture?

I don't smoke.

All black people love McDonald's.

56226b1455409d611896a343e6327c18bfa182b7.gif

Maaaan. I'm Korean American and I've been smoking stoges since I was 13.
smh.gif
Most of my homies too. We all started like 8th grade, I think mostly because the big brothers and big homies did and would give us and buy us cigarettes all the time. We'd also take packs from people's dads and stuff. It really depends on what type of people you hang around though.

Originally Posted by BTK

the real question is why do they call newports *blank* killers?

i assume you mean N word killers.

it's because the stereotype is that black people love menthol. and newports are one of the worst cigarettes you can buy in america. Theres fiber glass in it.  i've seen someone make a crude knife out of a newport.

as far as asians go. it's most of teh world that smokes like chimneys. not asian americans. arabs and isralies smoke alot. the french smoke alot. and yes all of asia

Originally Posted by BOTTOM74BOTTOM

Never noticed...

I'll be the first to even up the stereotypes tho... ALL non-corporate black people under the age of 30 have or currently smoke weed.
I guess I'm the exception.  *shrug*  I even grew up in the hood...I just never cared to smoke
laugh.gif

i noticed this back on my college campuses. large groups of asian people just smoking cigarettes

I went to a university with tons of asian-americans and international students from asia.  I never really noticed asians smoking more than anyone else.  I did smoke Marlboros while I was there.  I'm filipino-american and the only person in my group of asian friends that smoked.  They all disapproved.  
eyes.gif
  I also went on to pursue a career in respiratory care.  
laugh.gif

Well as someone who used to smoke.

The reason this is (especially with those from Asia and not Asian Americans in particular). A lot of tobacco ads are prevalent in many countries (prominent in Southeast Asian third world countries, and less in the more developed second worlds: Japan, Korea, etc. As some mentioned, it's a cultural thing and a lot of Koreans I know personally smoke, especially here in SoCal. With that said, I believe it all comes to preference and one can also argue a small portion can fall under the pressured "social smoking, drinking, or both" categories when going to bars/lounges/clubs as well.

Just my 2 cents.

Originally Posted by jthagreat

Originally Posted by franchise3

How does one make a knife out of a Newport?
eek.gif
eek.gif
laugh.gif

word  
i think he shaved down the butt of the cigg. i wasn't paying attention

but he poked me with it and it hurt enough. didn't break skin though. but it was my friend it's not like he stabbed with full force.

Originally Posted by FlyingEMU05

i wish i could answer this. peer pressure is what got me started and now its hard to quit.

I guess i'm one of the few people who isn't affected by nicotine much.  I quit cold turkey.  I know a lot of people who said they can't quit.  I don't understand it.  

Back
Top Bottom