Why Most Minority Kids Can't Swim....

Originally Posted by BOTTOM74BOTTOM

Anybody with lungs, breast, a big but, or any sort of body weight CAN float. Spread your weight out... keep your lungs above your knees. Your knees are the densest part of your body and they'll pull you down at first. Just don't ball your legs up. flail em if anything. Lord know my leg kick is $%+..
grin.gif
. But yeah,  eventually, you will do the dead man float though. Just relax.. hold your breath and let your back rise out of the water on it's own. The rest is just finding your buoyancy equilibrium and pulling yourself through the water while pushing the water down that's under you. I find it odd that people have to be taught how to swim. All you gotta do is let yourself learn.. use the shallow end. It's MUCH harder to swim in shallow water because less water is actually supporting your weight.. but you won't be afraid to drown unless you're a pansy
grin.gif
Dude is giving swimming lessons on NT. I've seen it all now.

I can't swim because we didn't really go to pools and stuff when I was little. I habe taught myself a lil bit tho.

I can't swim because we didn't really go to pools and stuff when I was little. I habe taught myself a lil bit tho.

Originally Posted by Halftime718

Well I know a lot of my family can't swim because they fear drowning.

That would seem like a reason that they should learn.

Originally Posted by Halftime718

Well I know a lot of my family can't swim because they fear drowning.

That would seem like a reason that they should learn.

Originally Posted by mdwst9

Originally Posted by Sixfoot nathan

black people scared of everything
i lol'd but its true
tired.gif
What else are we scared of since we are scared of everything?

Originally Posted by Mojodmonky1

I've heard there is some truth to this.  I had a teacher in HS who was an olympic level swimmer and taught adult swimming lessons on the side.  He told me that he had the most difficulty with african american students, not because of technique but due to their body type.  (flame away for the racial generalization) african american men tend to have more muscular builds, and muscle sinks like a rock, whereas fat floats.
I had issues learning how to float as well. Actually, I still can't float without kicking my legs/arms. So there is truth to it.

Originally Posted by mdwst9

Originally Posted by Sixfoot nathan

black people scared of everything
i lol'd but its true
tired.gif
What else are we scared of since we are scared of everything?

Originally Posted by Mojodmonky1

I've heard there is some truth to this.  I had a teacher in HS who was an olympic level swimmer and taught adult swimming lessons on the side.  He told me that he had the most difficulty with african american students, not because of technique but due to their body type.  (flame away for the racial generalization) african american men tend to have more muscular builds, and muscle sinks like a rock, whereas fat floats.
I had issues learning how to float as well. Actually, I still can't float without kicking my legs/arms. So there is truth to it.

Originally Posted by SaintVitus07

Anybody with lungs, breast, a big but, or any sort of body weight CAN float. Spread your weight out... keep your lungs above your knees. Your knees are the densest part of your body and they'll pull you down at first. Just don't ball your legs up. flail em if anything. Lord know my leg kick is $%+..
grin.gif
. But yeah,  eventually, you will do the dead man float though. Just relax.. hold your breath and let your back rise out of the water on it's own. The rest is just finding your buoyancy equilibrium and pulling yourself through the water while pushing the water down that's under you. I find it odd that people have to be taught how to swim. All you gotta do is let yourself learn.. use the shallow end. It's MUCH harder to swim in shallow water because less water is actually supporting your weight.. but you won't be afraid to drown unless you're a pansy
grin.gif

What? I know A LOT of randomly applicable stuff. We all fam right?
laugh.gif

i know this is kind of a serious issue (i mean there are bigger problems in the world but still)

but the idea of not being able to swim is kinda funny to me. it's so easy......not like you're born with a perfect butterfly stroke but staying afloat and moving around is a joke

i know this is kind of a serious issue (i mean there are bigger problems in the world but still)

but the idea of not being able to swim is kinda funny to me. it's so easy......not like you're born with a perfect butterfly stroke but staying afloat and moving around is a joke

Originally Posted by SaintVitus07

grin.gif
grin.gif

What? I know A LOT of randomly applicable stuff. We all fam right?
laugh.gif

I can swim just fine and I grew up in the hood. In Cleveland, every major section of the city has public pools. I think there are three reasons why a lot of black people DON'T swim: Apathy, Ignorance, and Fear. When I was a lil !+*$% my older friends threw me in the pool and said swim so you don't drown, and when I started going under they'd pull me out and throw me in again
laugh.gif
Hell I can do every stroke freestyle, backstroke, butterfly, breaststroke, side stroke, doggie paddle, whatever
laugh.gif
And plus girls used to be at the pool, why miss out on a free freak session just because you can't swim
pimp.gif

I can swim just fine and I grew up in the hood. In Cleveland, every major section of the city has public pools. I think there are three reasons why a lot of black people DON'T swim: Apathy, Ignorance, and Fear. When I was a lil !+*$% my older friends threw me in the pool and said swim so you don't drown, and when I started going under they'd pull me out and throw me in again
laugh.gif
Hell I can do every stroke freestyle, backstroke, butterfly, breaststroke, side stroke, doggie paddle, whatever
laugh.gif
And plus girls used to be at the pool, why miss out on a free freak session just because you can't swim
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom