Wilt's 100 vs. Kobe's 81. Discuss

Today marks the 50th Anniversary of one of the greatest accomplishments in sports history, Wilt's 100 points in a single game. On the way home today, 97.5 in Philly was discussing his game versus Kobe's 81 and which was more impressive.
Personally, I have to go with Kobe's 81. I've never really given the nod to big men in term's of accomplishments because, well they're the biggest guys on the court. If you have a center who is inches taller than everyone on the court, of course he will dominate. And when nobody is double teaming you? Forget about it. Personally, I think it is harder to score as a wingman than as a post player. You have to be much more skilled offensively. Also, Kobe played only 41 minutes versus Wilt's full 48. In a game where you're scoring virtually every minute, 6 minutes is a lot. I believe if he played the full 48 he could've came dangerously close to reaching 100. 

Nonetheless both accomplishments are remarkable in their own right. Let's have a healthy discussion, shall we?

There's no conversation. Kobe's game was tight the whole way through and his team would've lost without his scoring.

Comparing a game in which there were no three pointers to Kobe's 81 is ridiculous...

100>81 and it's not even close.

I've never really given the nod to big men in term's of accomplishments because, well they're the biggest guys on the court
LOL. That logic is pathetic...

Comparing a scoring record in which it's a perimeter player in a close game vs. a post player running up the score is ridiculous...

81>100 and it's not even close.

Originally Posted by S4L3

Comparing a game in which there were no three pointers to Kobe's 81 is ridiculous...

I've never really given the nod to big men in term's of accomplishments because, well they're the biggest guys on the court

How is it pathetic. Height measures your physical attribute, not your skill level. I'm just saying, if I had Wilt's height and length in that era, 100 would be much easier than Kobe's 81. Hell, the warriors averaged 125 points a game that year. Tells you something doesn't it

Kobe's was more impressive IMO due to competition level (not that the Raptors were any good, but the point still stands IMO) and the fact that many of Kobe's shots were from the outside and by nature it's harder to convert a perimeter shot than a layup or dunk. Perimeter players are almost always less efficient scorers than big men. Kobe also shot a better percentage (28-46 for 60% vs. 36-63 for 57% for Wilt).

And like OP said Wilt played 7 more minutes and the game was a blowout; the Lakers had to come from 18 down to win the game.

Originally Posted by 5am6oody72

Kobe's was more impressive IMO due to competition level (not that the Raptors were any good, but the point still stands IMO) and the fact that many of Kobe's shots were from the outside and by nature it's harder to convert a perimeter shot than a layup or dunk. Perimeter players are almost always less efficient scorers than big men. Kobe also shot a better percentage (28-46 for 60% vs. 36-63 for 57% for Wilt).

And like OP said Wilt played 7 more minutes and the game was a blowout; the Lakers had to come from 18 down to win the game.
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Homes was in a zone that night
30t6p3b.gif

Spoiler [+]
Or it was Jalen Rose's Defense
grin.gif

Thank you.

Comparing a scoring record in which it's a perimeter player in a close game vs. a post player running up the score is ridiculous...
Lakers were up by 15 with five minutes left in the game. Yeah real close.

Dudes talking about Wilt running up the score when there were only like 3 other shot attempts by any other laker players in that 4th. LOL.

"Ya'll want it to be one way..."

Height measures your physical attribute, not your skill level. I'm just saying, if I had Wilt's height and length in that era, 100 would be much easier than Kobe's 81.
You really have no clue how impressive that game was from Wilt.

Scoring 100 was tough enough, grabbing 25 boards to go along with it, is another. No matter how tall you are or whoever your playing against. Ya'll lucky they didn't keep track of blocks back then too...

Not sure why there isn't video evidence for Kobe posted already but here. Enjoy. Just in case you forgot.

I've never seen footage of Wilt's(it doesn't exist, obviously) so I go w/ Kobe by default.

I mean, how are we really gonna sit here & debate a game we didn't see vs 1 that we can watch right now?

Remember Wilt was the very first 7 footer with 40 inch hop back then . He had 6'6 white players centers with no athleticism guarding him . No 3 second violation.

It's harder to score in the perimeter than inside the paint

I mean considering the fact that none of us have ever seen the Wilt game can we really make a good arguement to why one is better than the other?

With that being said 100 points is more than 81 points...

I really don't think it's fair to discuss, not taking ANYTHING away from what wilt did, but he had the privilege of just catching the ball turning around and dumping it on fools heads......Kobe on the other hand did it from all over

Pretty dumb thread. There isn't even footage of Wilt's game. Of course you'd be a stan and take Kobe's 81 after making this thread.

Last I checked Wilt scored a 100 and that's more than 81.

Also you should consider Wilt's entire stat line for the night; 100pts-25reb-2asst. A shame they didn't record blocks. While Kobe was 81 pts, 6 reb, 2 asst w/ 3 TOs, 3 stls.

Wilt set the bar.

I read an article saying wilts team kept fouling the other team up by 20 in the 4th quarterAt the half court just do he has more time to score the 100. Smh

Originally Posted by denni5themenace

it's a shame people find ways to discredit kobe's 81 point game.
30t6p3b.gif
Isn't it also a shame that people find ways to discredit Wilt's 100 point game?
People are "discrediting" it only in the context of comparing it to Wilt's 100 point game, which is a very fair discussion on both sides. Only total idiots would discredit the incredible accomplishment Kobe did in scoring 81.

Originally Posted by ACBboyz84

Remember Wilt was the very first 7 footer with 40 inch hop back then . He had 6'6 white players centers with no athleticism guarding him . No 3 second violation.

It's harder to score in the perimeter than inside the paint

yea the guy guarding him was 6'7 weight 80+ lbs less, plus no zone defense and no lane violations/3 second in the key... add to the fact he played the entire game... and even tho he shot layups,putbacks and dunks he still shot a lower percentage.

it would be the equivelance of shaq having someone like jose calderon guarding him an entire 48 minutes and there was no 3 sec etc and basically shaq could campout in the lane. The knicks 7ft didnt even show up and there next big man was a 6'7 small foward. you really think a player like shaq/dwight/akeem etc couldnt get big numbers if the biggest player on the opposite team is a 6'7 160lbs small foward and the next man is a 6'5 shooting guard

Why compare though? Why compare? Why downplay one situation for the sake of another? Let both of those games rest in peace man.

But it is funny how people downplayed Kobe's 81 when it happened.

"He played the Raptors"

Sad.

But people downplayed Wilt's as well, as if he had any control on the competition level. He can only play vs. the people in front of him.

Hey guys you've only seen one game. That's like saying what's better The Dark Knight> The Dark Knight Rises based off a trailer, poster pictures, and comments from the cast & crew.

your hating is pathetic. you know you wrong when you got a kid like beware of dog co signing you 
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom