Windows 7 opinions?

Originally Posted by bdis1986

SaNTi0321 wrote:
It's not out yet. The release candidate just came out today the 5th. Not the retail version. I had the Beta as a second OS, liked it, now I'm downloading the RC and going to use it as my primary OS since its free until May 2010.

I wish I knew what the hell you were talking about
laugh.gif

sounds like your supercharging ya computer

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

[h1]http://lifehacker.com/5240931/lifehackers-guide-to-upgrading-to-windows-7-rc[/h1]
[h1]Lifehacker's Guide to Upgrading to Windows 7 RC[/h1]
By Adam Pash, 2:00 PM on Tue May 5 2009, 17,462 views (Edit post, Set to draft, Slurp)
Copy this whole post to another site

Slurp cancel

progressIndicator_roller.gif

select site advertising consumerist deadspin defamer fleshbot gay fleshbot gawker gizmodo idolator io9 jalopnik jezebel kotaku lifehacker valleywag artists gawkershop

504x_img19.jpg
Whether you want to set up a dual-boot system, you're ready to migrate all the way to Windows 7 RC from XP, or something in between, here's what you need to know.

You'll need to have already downloaded Windows 7 RC before you proceed with any of those methods, but now that you've had some time, let's take a look at a few ways you can install and use Windows 7 RC. If you're still not sure if Windows 7 seems worth it, check out the top 10 things to look forward to in Windows 7, then take a peek at what's new in Windows 7 RC.
[h3]Dual Boot Windows 7 with XP or Vista[/h3]
partition.png
We showed you how to do this back when the Windows 7 Beta was released, but if you were waiting for a slightly more stable Win7 release, you might be ready to dual boot Windows 7 with XP or Vista. This is generally the method of testing Windows 7 that we'd recommend, since it allows you to try out everything Windows 7 RC has to offer without entirely giving up your trusty old operating system.
[h3]Upgrade from Windows 7 Beta to RC[/h3]
win-7-upgrade.png
If you've already taken the plunge with the Windows 7 Beta, chances are you don't really want to set everything up all over again when you install Windows 7 RC. Unfortunately for you, Microsoft recommends a fresh install over an upgrade, and in fact, if you want to upgrade rather than install from scratch, you'll need to perform a simple hack, as described in this post from Life Rocks 2.0 covering how to upgrade from Windows 7 Beta to the Windows 7 RC. Likewise, you'll have to perform an in-kind upgrade, meaning you can't go from 32-bit Vista to a 64-bit Windows 7 install without doing a clean install.
[h3]Upgrade from Vista to Windows 7[/h3]
There's really nothing to this; Windows 7 provides a direct upgrade path to Windows 7 from Vista, which means that when you install Windows 7, all you need to do is select the Upgrade option when you run the Windows 7 installation. Note: Windows 7 requires that you've installed Vista Service Pack 1 in order to upgrade.
[h3]Migrate from Windows XP to Windows 7[/h3]
xp-to-win-7.png
Unfortunately Windows 7 doesn't have a direct upgrade path from XP, meaning if you're going to take the full plunge from XP to Windows 7, you've got to do some work on your own if you're hoping to migrate your files and settings from XP to Win7. Luckily Microsoft has a video detailing how to migrate from Windows XP to Windows 7 using the User State Migration Tool, an app from Microsoft that moves all your desktop settings, application settings, and files to a new Windows installation. (Also found via Life Rocks 2.0)

Damn I'm loving this so far...7 >>> XP >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Vista

i don't think this has been answered yet (unless i somehow missed it), but do we HAVE to burn it onto a disc before we can install it? if we do, what kindof cd can we burn it onto? also, is there a specific program we need to burn it? thanks guys.

Just installed it tonight and been running it for the last couple hours, trying to play around and figure out the ins and outs.

pimp.gif

As a "power" user, this gets my thumbs up from a first impression standpoint. I've seen enough to install this on my netbook and main desktop.

Windows 7 is SLICK. This is what Vista should have been from the start.

Originally Posted by SheryarYO

i don't think this has been answered yet (unless i somehow missed it), but do we HAVE to burn it onto a disc before we can install it? if we do, what kind of cd can we burn it onto? also, is there a specific program we need to burn it? thanks guys.
lol I posted instructions twice in this thread already (well a link; you just had to click!
smile.gif
lol).

Anyways, it's a 2gig iso file that you'll need to burn to a blank dvd. Go download Imgburn (it's free and it's the best!).

I've been using Win 7 since the first Beta. I haven't checked it lately, but Kaspersky was offering a free beta antivirus for Win 7. I know mine isstill getting updates.

Whats the diff between the beta and RC?

Cause i'll be useless to update to something I already have.

Originally Posted by Drunken Cow

Whats the diff between the beta and RC?

Cause i'll be useless to update to something I already have.

Alpha = very select few users
Beta = more users; major testing phase
RC = release candidate = final build(s) before it goes into production/release/final version
-- usually means no more new features but just bug fixes

Do you have to re-download games if your going from a 32bit windows xp to 64bit windows 7? I tried copy and paste my game files from my back up folder to the cdrive but get a d3dx9_38.dll missing error on all my games.

I finally installed W7 but I couldn't get my video card to get the right drivers, it was in the wrong resolution and wouldn't do any of the aerofeatures (i.e. transparent windows) like I have with Vista...so I put it back.

on another note I'm installing Ubuntu 9.04 on my old XP laptop. just to cure my itch of a new OS to play with.

Originally Posted by PoloRSport

Do you have to re-download games if your going from a 32bit windows xp to 64bit windows 7? I tried copy and paste my game files from my back up folder to the c drive but get a d3dx9_38.dll missing error on all my games.

You gotta re-install direct x prolly. Ran into that same problem..

I hope it is better than Vista. And I also hope that WM7 will be a lot better than WM6

I installed this on my Windows XP machine since I have an extra hard drive. (You can't go straight from XP to7) I'm still getting used to the new design but everything's good so far.

Originally Posted by The Black James Bond

it runs so smoothly, only issue i'm having is that the scroll on my trackpad isn't working now. I'm guessing it's a driver issue.
Just download and install the Vista drivers from synaptics.com. Should work. Did for me. Or better yet, download the Vista drivers for your laptopfrom the manufacturer's own website (should be more updated than the generic synaptics one).

Back
Top Bottom