WINE TASTING vol. tips, advice, experiences, etc....

Napa is dope. We go there a few times a year.

Looking to go to some other smaller ones that you have to call ahead on.

I'd recommend a wine tour...theres a bus, car or limo choice. You dot have to worry about driving and they'll get you in the spots etc.

Napa is dope. We go there a few times a year.

Looking to go to some other smaller ones that you have to call ahead on.

I'd recommend a wine tour...theres a bus, car or limo choice. You dot have to worry about driving and they'll get you in the spots etc.

I heard they'll teach you everything you need to go when you get there.

Seriously though they are fun.

I heard they'll teach you everything you need to go when you get there.

Seriously though they are fun.

Wineries on the weekends in Napa won't teach you unless they have a specific class or tour to do so.

You'll get hit with tasting fees unless you do a tour group, of which your tour group has covered it. You'll get a discount on tasting of you buy bottles.

Wineries on the weekends in Napa won't teach you unless they have a specific class or tour to do so.

You'll get hit with tasting fees unless you do a tour group, of which your tour group has covered it. You'll get a discount on tasting of you buy bottles.

Just play it cool. I would get into specifics but really they will teach you everything you need to know when you get there.

Just play it cool. I would get into specifics but really they will teach you everything you need to know when you get there.

Call up a limo service in Temecula, they should have a wine package already set up. Also, most wineries have people there greeting you to teach you about their wines, etc...they'll give you tickets to redeem for glasses of wine to sample.

Get a nice bread with brie as well, can't beat it.

And, if you can, get a hotel for the night in Temecula, since there's a good chance you'll be too buzzed to drive. You and your lady can just relax.

Call up a limo service in Temecula, they should have a wine package already set up. Also, most wineries have people there greeting you to teach you about their wines, etc...they'll give you tickets to redeem for glasses of wine to sample.

Get a nice bread with brie as well, can't beat it.

And, if you can, get a hotel for the night in Temecula, since there's a good chance you'll be too buzzed to drive. You and your lady can just relax.

eek.gif

OP - I go wine tasting bout once a year, not cause I am a wine connossieur, but moreso cause I'm a drunkard.

In terms of "what to do" theres only one real answer - HAVE FUN. Dont get intimidated or discouraged by trying to be in the know. Its fun to just try a lot of different types of wines (varietals and price range) to get a feel for what you like, what you dont like, and more importantly, why you like/dislike certain types of wines. Once you start to develop a feel for the types you like, it becomes easier to buy and drink without running into too many "craptastic" wines.

It depends on where you're located, but if youre in SoCal I would recommend the Santa Barbara/Santa Ynez area. Its a short hop from LA, has somewhat of a smaller intimate feel (than say Napa), and they have some pretty good wineries. I'll usually stay in or around the Buellton/Santa Ynez area. There isnt a ton in terms of 4 star resorts, but if you dont mind slummin it, there is a decent Holiday Inn Express in Solvang. My wife and I are members at a couple of wineries up there. Obviously your tastes might be different, but the ones we really like are Sunstone (their tasting room is kinda nice too) and Artiste. We also really like Foxen (slightly off the beaten trail) but the damn wait list to join the club is ridiculous and we just gave up on that one. Extra bonus at Foxen, they usually have their winery dogs chillin out on the deck and I'm like a damn child and get genuinely happy to see dogs. The Firestone winery is one larger ones in the area, and is definitely worth a visit. I'll usually stop by Firestone just cause I like the winery itself (nice scenery), and to stock up on some grapeseed oil and cases of cheap daily drinking wine. There is an awesome sandwich shop in Los Olivos (the name escapes me) that I will usually stop by first, and then just eat/picnic out at Firestone.

Another area you didnt mention, but might be worth a visit is Paso Robles. It's been awhile since I went to Paso so things may have changed, but it definitely had an even more small town cozy feel than the Santa Ynez area. One difference I noticed in the Paso wineries is that a lot of them dont charge for tastings (in Santa Ynez most if not all will charge). If you decide to go to Paso Robles, I would definitely recommend you check out Justin Vineyards. Excellent wines.

OP - I go wine tasting bout once a year, not cause I am a wine connossieur, but moreso cause I'm a drunkard.

In terms of "what to do" theres only one real answer - HAVE FUN. Dont get intimidated or discouraged by trying to be in the know. Its fun to just try a lot of different types of wines (varietals and price range) to get a feel for what you like, what you dont like, and more importantly, why you like/dislike certain types of wines. Once you start to develop a feel for the types you like, it becomes easier to buy and drink without running into too many "craptastic" wines.

It depends on where you're located, but if youre in SoCal I would recommend the Santa Barbara/Santa Ynez area. Its a short hop from LA, has somewhat of a smaller intimate feel (than say Napa), and they have some pretty good wineries. I'll usually stay in or around the Buellton/Santa Ynez area. There isnt a ton in terms of 4 star resorts, but if you dont mind slummin it, there is a decent Holiday Inn Express in Solvang. My wife and I are members at a couple of wineries up there. Obviously your tastes might be different, but the ones we really like are Sunstone (their tasting room is kinda nice too) and Artiste. We also really like Foxen (slightly off the beaten trail) but the damn wait list to join the club is ridiculous and we just gave up on that one. Extra bonus at Foxen, they usually have their winery dogs chillin out on the deck and I'm like a damn child and get genuinely happy to see dogs. The Firestone winery is one larger ones in the area, and is definitely worth a visit. I'll usually stop by Firestone just cause I like the winery itself (nice scenery), and to stock up on some grapeseed oil and cases of cheap daily drinking wine. There is an awesome sandwich shop in Los Olivos (the name escapes me) that I will usually stop by first, and then just eat/picnic out at Firestone.

Another area you didnt mention, but might be worth a visit is Paso Robles. It's been awhile since I went to Paso so things may have changed, but it definitely had an even more small town cozy feel than the Santa Ynez area. One difference I noticed in the Paso wineries is that a lot of them dont charge for tastings (in Santa Ynez most if not all will charge). If you decide to go to Paso Robles, I would definitely recommend you check out Justin Vineyards. Excellent wines.

Originally Posted by Mojodmonky1

Good advice. thank you x 100

Originally Posted by Mojodmonky1

Good advice. thank you x 100

Back
Top Bottom