with all the negative press...will JB/nike wake up?

I've given this a lot of thought over the past few days, especially seeing the news and videos of the release.

First off, it's embarrassing to see. I hate to say it, but on top of the embarrassment I felt watching the news, I couldn't stop laughing at the dudes barging through doors running to a store, all while trying to pull their pants up at the same time. Along what that, the interviews that I've seen give such a bad representation of the sneaker community - c'mon guys! It's a joke.

On a serious note, a release like this will never please everyone, period. There needs to be a huge increase in the number of servers for EACH site who chooses to sell, there needs to be a limit of 1 and the more I think about it, the more I think these types of releases need to be either ONLINE ONLY or SHIP 2 STORE. Mass chaos breeds even more chaos.Downright comical:

toughmoney wrote:
dankenstien88 wrote:
Its not JB its the way stores handle the releases that leads to problems.

Edit: I thought you were talking about the In-Store releases.

As far as online releases are concerned I think a strict 1 pair per customer rule and more servers would help solve the problem.

Never going to be strict .....resellers can just put in more orders and use a different address. Dudes are just really greedy.

Yeah, but a lot of resellers already do this and buy multiples from as many different sites as they can. A strict 1 pair per customer rule would definitely put more pairs into the hands of those who just wanted the shoes to wear them. 

Originally Posted by raptors29

Jordan/Nike doesn't care. They're selling... They got the "limited" release concept on lock.
they would've sold out as a GR though....I can't think of a reason for making them limited. It means less money for JB. Publicity maybe...

Originally Posted by go rilla

Originally Posted by Trav T

Now, I don't really like the Concords; I was copping so my brother could resell.

and that is the reason why what happened, happened
There are going to be resellers trying to cop for every release.  This doesn't explain anything.  What happened is Air Jordan XI fever and limited product supply.

Originally Posted by dankenstien88

Its not JB its the way stores handle the releases that leads to problems.

Edit: I thought you were talking about the In-Store releases.

As far as online releases are concerned I think a strict 1 pair per customer rule and more servers would help solve the problem.

Year after year after year and yet stores still can't grasp the fact that these are not just shoes! It's like you already saw what happen last year, try to avoid the hassle. I like the concept of wristbands, why doesn't every store do this??? That first come first serve thing is becoming outdated. Seems to me that they want to see how far people are willing to go, bloodshed and all smh...

None of this is even negative press for Jordan Brand/Nike
Its negative on the people involved or the stores/malls lack of preparing/organizing releases.

For Nike/JB its just free press, and just giving post-hype to the shoe.

Originally Posted by tahoefreshies

I was at the Plaza Bonita Mall and in line at 2:45 a.m. Friday morning (after trying to get them online which never happened, but that was no surprise). Once inside and the line formed at Foot Action where I was (as well as Foot Locker, Champs, Finish Line, Sheikh, Shoe Palace AND Robert Wayne), Foot Action employee comes out and says "We only have 24 pairs, TOTAL." As I was about the 30th head in line, strike one for me. Watched 17 year old kids who weren't more than 5'6" and 130 pounds rolling out with "their" size 13. WTH does a 5'6" 130 pound dude need with a size 13? Oh yeah, my bad, he needs to flip 'em to pocket $50. Was there until 8:00 when Shoe Palace opened, only to find they had 16 total pair, as did the Foot Locker. In addition, Finish Line and Champs did tickets, and told no one about that. You had to be lucky to get one, in the right place at the right time.

All in all, Plaza Bonita, with SEVEN DIFFERENT SPOTS selling them, and one of the three LARGEST malls in San Diego had a total of about 75 pairs. In TOTAL. 500 heads outside waiting for 75 pairs of shoes. !@#$ is unacceptable. If this was a GENERAL RELEASE, how is it seven different spots all got less pairs of these than they do any other shoe they sell? 24 total pairs at Foot Action (who had the most) isn't even two FSRs.

THAT'S why I'm salty. Biggest sneaker release in a decade and Nike ships to one of the three biggest malls in SD a total of about 75 pairs. %^&* is ridiculous. Nike KNOWS, without reservation, these shoes will sell NO MATTER WHAT. And still they ship 75 pairs in total to seven different spots.

Ridiculous. I told myself I was done after the White Cement IV's in February and now I'm not even getting those. I don't care if my refusal to buy their products anymore will do nothing to their bottom line. I'm tapping out on principle alone after this madness. Done scrappin' to get shoes produced by a company that obviously doesn't give a damb about its consumers, and can't make available an adequate supply of THE biggest release in over a decade. Unbelievable...

30t6p3b.gif
I heard there was only 200 pairs in San Diego period, didn't even try. Im not surprised at the ticket thing tho because FL in Fashion Valley mall has been doing that sense the DMP fiasco. Plaza Bonita is the last mall I'd be trying to go to also, cats be shady.

I was at the Plaza Bonita Mall and in line at 2:45 a.m. Friday morning (after trying to get them online which never happened, but that was no surprise). Once inside and the line formed at Foot Action where I was (as well as Foot Locker, Champs, Finish Line, Sheikh, Shoe Palace AND Robert Wayne), Foot Action employee comes out and says "We only have 24 pairs, TOTAL." As I was about the 30th head in line, strike one for me. Watched 17 year old kids who weren't more than 5'6" and 130 pounds rolling out with "their" size 13. WTH does a 5'6" 130 pound dude need with a size 13? Oh yeah, my bad, he needs to flip 'em to pocket $50. Was there until 8:00 when Shoe Palace opened, only to find they had 16 total pair, as did the Foot Locker. In addition, Finish Line and Champs did tickets, and told no one about that. You had to be lucky to get one, in the right place at the right time.

All in all, Plaza Bonita, with SEVEN DIFFERENT SPOTS selling them, and one of the three LARGEST malls in San Diego had a total of about 75 pairs. In TOTAL. 500 heads outside waiting for 75 pairs of shoes. !@#$ is unacceptable. If this was a GENERAL RELEASE, how is it seven different spots all got less pairs of these than they do any other shoe they sell? 24 total pairs at Foot Action (who had the most) isn't even two FSRs.

THAT'S why I'm salty. Biggest sneaker release in a decade and Nike ships to one of the three biggest malls in SD a total of about 75 pairs. %^&* is ridiculous. Nike KNOWS, without reservation, these shoes will sell NO MATTER WHAT. And still they ship 75 pairs in total to seven different spots.

Ridiculous. I told myself I was done after the White Cement IV's in February and now I'm not even getting those. I don't care if my refusal to buy their products anymore will do nothing to their bottom line. I'm tapping out on principle alone after this madness. Done scrappin' to get shoes produced by a company that obviously doesn't give a damb about its consumers, and can't make available an adequate supply of THE biggest release in over a decade. Unbelievable...

30t6p3b.gif

Nothin but the truth right here. I'm still tryna figure out how the whole mall near me sold out at 7:30am.

Stick up kids been gettin dudes for their j's since the late 80's, trust they dont care. People might feel like they have a moral obligation to release more shoes so people arent robbing and killing each other over them but lawfully they don't have to. They're not supplying any weapons or coercing any civilians into doing crime. These actions/events are fueled by the purely materialistic people who desire and pursue these shoes themselves.

I said it in the general forum and I will say it here:  this shoes breaks all the supply and demand laws.  So why not just overproduce???  You see what happens every holiday season they sell out QUICKLY. IMO that breaks all the supply and demand laws.  Again, I would like to hear a response from Nike's CEO,someone with major pull at Nike, or Jordan himself about: the trampling of people, people getting stabbed, etc.  Not some general statement from the nike twitter guy, a phone helpdesk person, or a prepared public statement. As long as they are making their money they will never do this though. 

I am officially boycotting JB, what a disgrace of a brand, perpetuating crime. What an arrogant company, to put out limited quantity, at a time of the year when people are indulging with holiday shopping. I hope you guys wake up and put a scare to this brand by not buying anything JB produces. There are too many unhappy people who genuinely want to purchase the shoe to wear.

I'm frustrated at the stores for handling things in such an unprofessional manner. Lines were not managed properly and most stores, and there were tons of employees getting these early, which is fine, however they should be limited to one pair, not two, three or more. If they want to get more, they should get in line like everyone else. As far as quantity goes, these sneakers would have sold out no matter how many pairs Jordan Brand produced. True, the 2000-01 and 2009-10 releases weren't nearly as difficult to obtain, but we didn't know about them this far ahead and it wasn't during the holidays, with exception of the Breds. They hyped these up for a full year, there's plenty of talk on these forums, and they have tons of employees with degrees in marketing and every other business-related degree. You'd think that they could come up with a better estimate. I expect to either get up early or or click refresh for a pair of XIs, but no one should ever have to camp out 2-3 days early or step on people for a general release.

the footlockers/footactions/finishlines at your local mall and the # of pairs they received has nothing to do with nike.  these individual retailers, allocate the number of prs (by size) to their stores.  the allocation is usually based off of a sales history model (of a prior shoe - most like the cool grey xi's from last x'mas).  

30t6p3b.gif
i feel you 100% smh and if they rereleased these next week it'll still sell out so why not make a sufficient supply 

More pairs = More complains about quality, truth.

They will say "ok... you want us to produce more pairs. We about to save some cost though and charge you 5 more though"

good or bad publicity is still publicity. It's not nike/jordan brand's fault these malls/security don't have organization.

The finishline I went to in Maryland had 4 pairs of Concords but they had 40+ pairs of Black Cement when they dropped. JB purposely created less pairs of Concords to increase the hype over these damn shoes.

Originally Posted by dc1153

I am officially boycotting JB, what a disgrace of a brand, perpetuating crime. What an arrogant company, to put out limited quantity, at a time of the year when people are indulging with holiday shopping. I hope you guys wake up and put a scare to this brand by not buying anything JB produces. There are too many unhappy people who genuinely want to purchase the shoe to wear.

THIS.  I had the originals when they came out in the 90s and to this day it is still one of my favorite shoes ever.  I just wanted a chance to have them again to wear.  JB screwed this up big time.  What does all the hype get them?  For me, the XI in any colorway is the only shoe I would ever buy from JB.  It's not like I'm going to buy one of their other shoes since I couldn't get the XI's this time.

they need to make a lot more 11s...like damn near a million. and upgrade website servers.

malls should get like 1000 pairs, nikestores 2000...literally 100 per size.

I really don't understand the marketing at all..the shoe has reached such a epic status that a release of the same shoe once a month would sell out year round for maybe 10 more years easy..nike gains nothing off resellers at 500 a pair. why have people who are so loyal to your brand go through so much for a pair of shoes. I agree alot of the store releases were handled very poorly. I went to one riot release and one organized but both stores had 2 pair per size... they know the hype of the shoes this just isnt acceptable..why I got out of collecting years ago

Originally Posted by SnackMix

The finishline I went to in Maryland had 4 pairs of Concords but they had 40+ pairs of Black Cement when they dropped. JB purposely created less pairs of Concords to increase the hype over these damn shoes.

Someone lied to you. NO store EVER gets a shipment of only 4 pairs.

Employees bought them all up. Call corporate because with this release Finishline stated that no more than 3 pairs per store could be bought/held by employees, everything else had to be sold on RD and if a 4th employee wanted the shoes they would have to wait in line like everyone else.

Blaming Nike/Jordan Brand is not the way to go.  Nike/Jordan Brand are corporations and they want to maintain the Jordan Hype as long as they can.  Limited amounts of products keeps demands high for the brand.  People then will buy team shoes since they can't get the retros.  This strategy creates demand that sells the same shoes 15 years after it's initial debut.  How many of us think back to releases like the 2001 Cool Grey XIs and just say, "Wow, that was crazy!"? That in turn hypes up the next Cool Grey XI release.  When people can't get the XIs then they buy a team shoe that looks like an XI.  The shoeheads won't because they know better but the average buyer does not.  It's a sound marketing strategy to make premium profits.  Companies are here for their bottom line and investors, not for the sake of the consumer.  Just ask Goldman Sachs.  Is this ethically right?  No, but it is the economic system we choose, capitalism/consumerism.

The problem here is people.  You see how people line up and act foolish for anything they can make money off of such as on Black Friday.  Money and profit brings out the worst in people.  Not only that but our culture has become one that is set on instant gratification and selfishness.  Look at how we handled Hurricane Katrina and look at how people in Japan acted after the earthquake/tsunami/radioactive meltdown.  These are similar situations but Americans had no dignity.  The companies are not the problem, we are.

Back
Top Bottom