WNBA might be gone soon...

What happened to it being Candace Parker's league?

I don't get it. Girl had LeBron type hype coming into the league.

She had a baby with alien face Shelden and she faded into the oblivion? Such a weird story honestly.
She had endorsements and everything lined up for years to come. Now she's just forgotten?

she had gotten hurt iirc

The WNBA has had 5 dunks since it's inception in 1997. Griner had 2 of those 5 dunks last night. It's her league now. Regardless of her looks.

That's not to say that that sole factoid can sustain it's future, but it's to say that if the ship does go down, it won't for lack of effort.

they already said because she had those 2 dunks in game last night she's solidified a spot in the HOF. hahaha.
Didn't she just get stomped out by 20?

Stern leaving doesn't mean that much.

WNBA, ESPN Extend TV Contract Through 2022

AP - March 28, 2013

NEW YORK (AP) — The WNBA has extended its contract with ESPN through the 2022 season.

The league and network announced Thursday they had added six years to their current broadcasting deal, which had four seasons remaining. ESPN has been televising WNBA games since its inaugural season in 1997.

WNBA isn't going anywhere anytime soon....Their TV contracts are inked and their star players are as marketable as ever. And the owners like having it around more than we think.

Adam Silver is not going to become the new commish and just cancel the WNBA. The WNBA is going no where. The new method of placing company advertisement on jerseys keeps the WNBA from operating at a lost.

Last edited:
What happened to it being Candace Parker's league?

I don't get it. Girl had LeBron type hype coming into the league.

She had a baby with alien face Shelden and she faded into the oblivion? Such a weird story honestly.
She had endorsements and everything lined up for years to come. Now she's just forgotten?
because people don't care enough about it to keep that story line going. that's why I laughed when people say Skylar will get the ratings up. wasn't that suppose to be parker a few years ago?

I'm for the WNBA. Not that I watch, but it's good for the girls who wanna take their game to the next level and be a professional. 
There are nowhere NEAR enough people with this mindset for me to fathom the WNBA being a long-term thing.

Yes, I know how long it's been around. I remember the inaugural season.

And I'm surprised with every new season.

It's still a man's world, and we (collectively) don't care about women's sports unless they feature a bunch of Playmates wearing as little as possible, or even decent bodies wearing spandex.

"Oh, it's because the actual athleticism is so terrible."

Miss me w/ that. What you want from women (in general)  is clouding your vision and justifying your excuse (speaking to a general audience, of course).

American sports fans aren't as open minded as the euros

troof.

Adam Silver is not going to become the new commish and just cancel the WNBA. The WNBA is going no where. The new method of placing company advertisement on jerseys keeps the WNBA from operating at a lost.
Only 3 teams are bringing in a profit out of 12 teams

My apologies for being so quick and ignorant by assuming that we, as a society, are simply too chauvinistic for the WNBA (or any female pro sports league) to be taken as anything more than a shadow, a lite version of male sports.

Going by some of the responses in here about them playing in sports bras or naked or wearing more makeup or simply being more attractive, I see I was way off.

I was going to quote those responses and just say "Like I was saying," but I already know how that would play out: some of the people I quote would simply justify their response.

Some of y'all know exactly what I'm talking about, though. Very few; very few... which is why women's sports will never be taken seriously. We're still figuratively clubbing women over their heads. Until that changes, they'll never get credit for their accomplishments, not in sports, not anywhere.

Well, we either need to stop clubbing them over their heads, or they need to be flawless.

Since the latter is obviously highly unlikely, and the former is not happening anytime in the NEAR future (maybe someday)... then... back in the background they'll stay, overscrutinized and tossed aside.

There are nowhere NEAR enough people with this mindset for me to fathom the WNBA being a long-term thing.

Yes, I know how long it's been around. I remember the inaugural season.

And I'm surprised with every new season.

It's still a man's world, and we (collectively) don't care about women's sports unless they feature a bunch of Playmates wearing as little as possible, or even decent bodies wearing spandex.

"Oh, it's because the actual athleticism is so terrible."

Miss me w/ that. What you want from women (in general)  is clouding your vision and justifying your excuse (speaking to a general audience, of course).

Get out of here with that. I know you think you're the only person capable of discussing this topic without bias but you're not.

The level of athleticism is significantly lower relative to what's seen in the men's game, don't act like that's not legitimate reasoning.

The fact is that basketball derives a great deal of its entertainment value from the raw athleticism on display. You take that away and the entertainment value takes a bigger hit than others sports. 

For an example I find myself legitimately entertained by women's professional soccer. The drop off in athleticism doesn't hurt the entertainment value of the sport nearly as much as the drop off in athleticism hurts basketball.

Glad I flipped back to this page to see that part. I'm not even a soccer fan, but I can watch the hell out of that. And even though it's only every 4 years, I can watch volleyball (well, for more than just the obvious reason) and tennis as well. I guess it really just depends on the sport into relation to whether it's male or female, as some people may refer to some sports as gender specific, even if both males and females play it. Don't ask me about men's tennis, volleyball, or soccer at all, but it's total opposite with the women sports. Women's football (both LFL and actual leagues) are completely gimmicks, and the athleticism (with some exceptions) are taken away just like you said. Track and MMA are appealing on both sides.

My apologies for being so quick and ignorant by assuming that we, as a society, are simply too chauvinistic for the WNBA (or any female pro sports league) to be taken as anything more than a shadow, a lite version of male sports.

Going by some of the responses in here about them playing in sports bras or naked or wearing more makeup or simply being more attractive, I see I was way off.

I was going to quote those responses and just say "Like I was saying," but I already know how that would play out: some of the people I quote would simply justify their response.

Some of y'all know exactly what I'm talking about, though. Very few; very few... which is why women's sports will never be taken seriously. We're still figuratively clubbing women over their heads. Until that changes, they'll never get credit for their accomplishments, not in sports, not anywhere.

Well, we either need to stop clubbing them over their heads, or they need to be flawless.

Since the latter is obviously highly unlikely, and the former is not happening anytime in the NEAR future (maybe someday)... then... back in the background they'll stay, overscrutinized and tossed aside.

:smile:

View media item 433384
Seriously, your post reads like there's some feminist prison guard forcing you to write this stuff. Women get there due in sports when they earn it. When I think of the biggest name in US Soccer (male/female) history, I think Mia Hamm. When I think of biggest names in US Tennis, I think of the Williams SISTERS. When it comes to the Olympics, 2 of the most popular sports are WOMEN'S gymnastics (Summer) and WOMEN'S figure skating (Winter). If I had to name my top 10 Track and field athletes in US History, the list would likely include Gail Devers and Jackie Joyner-Kersee. '96 was a while ago, but that's when Women's basketball was at it's peak. Swoopes (first female with a Nike Sig), was a household name and even had her shoes being rocked by boys with no shame here in PG County during the height of her career. People knew Cooper and Lobo. The WNBA has been given more than a fair shot to stand on it's own. As of now, it appears to be a decent tax write-off for the NBA, so it will be (clubbed and) dragged on.

Ska,

I never thought I'd see the day where I joined the darkside, but I can't lie. I watched those highlights from Della Donne's first game and...girl can ball. She is really skilled and looks to have a refined offensive game. Her fadeaway was pretty sweet too. I can't front; if one of her games was on in the summer and there weren't any other sporting events on and nobody else was home I MIGHT leave it on in the background while I surf the internet on my laptop.

:smile:

View media item 433384
Seriously, your post reads like there's some feminist prison guard forcing you to write this stuff. Women get there due in sports when they earn it. When I think of the biggest name in US Soccer (male/female) history, I think Mia Hamm. When I think of biggest names in US Tennis, I think of the Williams SISTERS. When it comes to the Olympics, 2 of the most popular sports are WOMEN'S gymnastics (Summer) and WOMEN'S figure skating (Winter). If I had to name my top 10 Track and field athletes in US History, the list would likely include Gail Devers and Jackie Joyner-Kersee. '96 was a while ago, but that's when Women's basketball was at it's peak. Swoopes (first female with a Nike Sig), was a household name and even had her shoes being rocked by boys with no shame here in PG County during the height of her career. People knew Cooper and Lobo. The WNBA has been given more than a fair shot to stand on it's own. As of now, it appears to be a decent tax write-off for the NBA, so it will be (clubbed and) dragged on.
vy3vys.gif

You right tho.

The NBA teams profiting question isn't even worth analyzing as teams refuse to open up their books and lastly we know they could be losing money every single calendar year and it doesn't matter because the value of their teams increase every day and owners eventually sell for obscene amounts.

As for the WNBA it is staying here at least until 2022 so people need to realize this.

elena? who dat?

they ned to lower the rims to 8.5 feet. im telling yall.

But males wont watch it either. They need to market this to the females out there instead of LAHH.

I have nothing against women sports but like someone said the lack of athleticism in basketball is why I can't watch it.

Seeing them struggle to make layups on a 10 ft high basket is so painful.

What do you want then? Let's raise the standards and have women eligible for the NBA.

I wouldn't be surprised one bit if not a single woman would be able to make it. Same with other sports. With a few extremities, men are more athletic than women. That's not sexist in any way it's just what it is. Feel free to prove me wrong, I'm an open-minded guy.

Sports are entertaining because of the ATHLETES that participate and how ATHLETIC they are. Women, being that they're not as athletic as men (generally speaking), will not have the entertainment value that we as a society expect.

I don't know how many cases there are where women were allowed to compete with men but I remember that Michelle Wie was allowed to play in the PGA since she was so dominant in the LPGA and she performed terribly.

I can only believe that that will remain true with other sports.

But addressing your point, iconic female athletes get their due when it's deserved

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom