Work Experience vs College Degree

Im tired of these thread.

SLACKERS: either go to college or be downsized when your company decides to pick the college graduate over your work experience when they start layoffs.

Im tired of these thread.

SLACKERS: either go to college or be downsized when your company decides to pick the college graduate over your work experience when they start layoffs.

Here's how I see it. Networking will open doors for you, a college degree will open opportunities, and work experience will help you cement and obtain said opportunities.

In the end, the better prepared you are (college degree, networking, work experience) will only help you in the long run.

Here's how I see it. Networking will open doors for you, a college degree will open opportunities, and work experience will help you cement and obtain said opportunities.

In the end, the better prepared you are (college degree, networking, work experience) will only help you in the long run.

sorry to thread steal but, does it matter if you graduate with an honors for your bachelors of science if you want to go to grad school? does having a degree with honors really matter?

sorry to thread steal but, does it matter if you graduate with an honors for your bachelors of science if you want to go to grad school? does having a degree with honors really matter?

Worst post in this thread. If two people have the same job, the one who gets laid off is the least productive worker.

Btw, I didn't go to college...sometimes I wish I had but the cards just didn't lay right for me out of highschool. I'd like to go back one day, maybe to trade school or just enroll in a few classes, but I could never see myself going back and taking remedial math or English classes to get a degree or job in something completely unrelated. Nearly all, if not every one of the people that I know went to college are struggling looking for jobs, or those that do happen to have a job do not make close to the money I make. I understand that they have a better chance in the long run to make more money throughout their life, but perhaps I fell into the exception of the rule with this one.

If you have the opportunity to go to college, I say take it but I wouldn't say it's neccessary.

-...waits for the 'Did Not Read' .gifs...but I like those.
laugh.gif
pimp.gif
-

Worst post in this thread. If two people have the same job, the one who gets laid off is the least productive worker.

Btw, I didn't go to college...sometimes I wish I had but the cards just didn't lay right for me out of highschool. I'd like to go back one day, maybe to trade school or just enroll in a few classes, but I could never see myself going back and taking remedial math or English classes to get a degree or job in something completely unrelated. Nearly all, if not every one of the people that I know went to college are struggling looking for jobs, or those that do happen to have a job do not make close to the money I make. I understand that they have a better chance in the long run to make more money throughout their life, but perhaps I fell into the exception of the rule with this one.

If you have the opportunity to go to college, I say take it but I wouldn't say it's neccessary.

-...waits for the 'Did Not Read' .gifs...but I like those.
laugh.gif
pimp.gif
-

Depends on the field. But one thing ive seen is experience and who you know can make a world of difference.

Depends on the field. But one thing ive seen is experience and who you know can make a world of difference.

Originally Posted by diew its james

A lot of graduate programs require that you have at least a 3.0 or above in your undergraduate degree. If you're on the lower end of that spectrum, you're going to have to compensate with high GRE scores, good letters or recommendation, and good personal statements.

A lot of graduate programs require that you have at least a 3.0 or above in your undergraduate degree. If you're on the lower end of that spectrum, you're going to have to compensate with high GRE scores, good letters or recommendation, and good personal statements.

Originally Posted by So Nyuh Shi Dae

i have a 3.6 gpa and just got accepted into my Honors College and i was wondering if its worth getting into because i have to take extra courses that might make me graduate a semester late. does having a degree with honors benefit more in the long run? or should i just continue on and try to get my BS

Originally Posted by So Nyuh Shi Dae

i have a 3.6 gpa and just got accepted into my Honors College and i was wondering if its worth getting into because i have to take extra courses that might make me graduate a semester late. does having a degree with honors benefit more in the long run? or should i just continue on and try to get my BS

Originally Posted by Blazinbama

College Degree = New High School degree.  Might not be as good as experience, but it's pretty much a baseline minimum qualification.  Also, when your dad started working let's say 20 years ago, a degree was not necessarily a prerequisite.

Exactly.  First things first, it's infinitely easier to get your foot in the door with a degree, or at least the networking you did while earning your degree.  Promotion potential depends on a complex combination of factors.  Sometimes education can substitute for experience, and vice versa.  An ex of mine, with a Big Ten degree, started his career on the line at an auto factory . . . making the same as cats right out of high school.  One year later, he's catapulted over guys with years of experience to become a line supervisor . . . and the big dummy just bought a Benz to drive into his American plant each morning, lol.

Originally Posted by Blazinbama

College Degree = New High School degree.  Might not be as good as experience, but it's pretty much a baseline minimum qualification.  Also, when your dad started working let's say 20 years ago, a degree was not necessarily a prerequisite.

Exactly.  First things first, it's infinitely easier to get your foot in the door with a degree, or at least the networking you did while earning your degree.  Promotion potential depends on a complex combination of factors.  Sometimes education can substitute for experience, and vice versa.  An ex of mine, with a Big Ten degree, started his career on the line at an auto factory . . . making the same as cats right out of high school.  One year later, he's catapulted over guys with years of experience to become a line supervisor . . . and the big dummy just bought a Benz to drive into his American plant each morning, lol.

I am an Engineer and I must say work experience is by far and away more important. A college degree gets your foot in the door, but you work experience is what gets you a large salary, and promotions.

I am an Engineer and I must say work experience is by far and away more important. A college degree gets your foot in the door, but you work experience is what gets you a large salary, and promotions.

i'd say experience is more important. i graduated last year and haven't found a job. sometimes i feel like i should have gotten summer internships instead of studying abroad in japan.

i'd say experience is more important. i graduated last year and haven't found a job. sometimes i feel like i should have gotten summer internships instead of studying abroad in japan.

Back
Top Bottom