Working Construction...A New Career?

infrastructure work is GUARANTEED. Construction is a permanent necessity. Whether interior work or exterior.

With a lot of people only wanting to do tech or computer work, the field is wide open.

Especially with Biden’s new bill, money will always flow.

Law enforcement, medical field and construction are TEFLON industries

You can’t look at the whole industry of trucking from your cdl school.

Cdl school attracts losers, “well if all else fails I can just live in a truck” type dudes.

Once you get past your first year it’s fine. There’s levels in trucking, most the jobs suck but once you get some experience you can go to the good places.

You can’t look at the whole industry of trucking from your cdl school.

Cdl school attracts losers, “well if all else fails I can just live in a truck” type dudes.

Once you get past your first year it’s fine. There’s levels in trucking, most the jobs suck but once you get some experience you can go to the good places.
After a close encounter with death after months of a hostile work environment, I left construction alone. I was the only black driver for that company and dudes were really trying to get me fired, hurt or worse. In SoCal, if you’re not Mexican on that job, good luck. I got that straight from the homie who happens to be Mexican. And trucking wasn’t my goal, cement truck was. I went back to sales and I’m doing fine.

Speaking of sales I always wonder why folks who are amazing at smaller sales roles don't eventually move to the massive money makers like real estate or tech etc. Same skillsets.

After a close encounter with death after months of a hostile work environment, I left construction alone. I was the only black driver for that company and dudes were really trying to get me fired, hurt or worse. In SoCal, if you’re not Mexican on that job, good luck. I got that straight from the homie who happens to be Mexican. And trucking wasn’t my goal, cement truck was. I went back to sales and I’m doing fine.
sounds terrible man, idk I never have seen anything that bad here.

I used to drive a ready mix truck. it sucks man, you aren't missing anything. you have to deal with dumb *** guys ordering concrete and trying to be tough guys all the time.

then you're breathing in that dust which is horrible for you, I'd get nose bleeds everyday, skin dry af and makes it hard to breathe.

Speaking of sales I always wonder why folks who are amazing at smaller sales roles don't eventually move to the massive money makers like real estate or tech etc. Same skillsets.

my wife sells motorcycles and has no desire to move to anything for more money just because the stress. they sell themselves and it's just a fun industry in general and pretty laid back.

If you just want to make more money though I agree.

A lot of people in my line of work do 6 figures annually and invest what they don’t need on a monthly basis. It’s what I’m doing also. Real estate sales was the lick here in the early 2000s but it’s not what it used to be. Tech sales jobs can be hit or miss. They’re not all created equally.

sounds terrible man, idk I never have seen anything that bad here.

I used to drive a ready mix truck. it sucks man, you aren't missing anything. you have to deal with dumb *** guys ordering concrete and trying to be tough guys all the time.

then you're breathing in that dust which is horrible for you, I'd get nose bleeds everyday, skin dry af and makes it hard to breathe.
I did the cement job job for months. It got me where I needed to be. I’d never want to do it again though.

I’m good on concrete.

I don’t mind paving though. You can stand the whole day vs concrete being on your knees.

Only reason I quit laboring on a paving crew was because running the lowboy is easy af and pays better.

one thing about concrete is you can do cash jobs on the side.. used to do them in n SD county and low OC county where there’s bank. easy money if you have your own tools. price for mud has gon up. no more 300$ pours.

Oh yeah, I’d bring it to the guys working for the city doing like 5 ft of hand curb for a patch.

Then 5 hours later I’m waiting in line to pour a 30 yard driveway with 2 other trucks and it’s the same dudes pouring a driveway for cash. :lol:

These are some legit amazing stories.

I never got into any side of this life - lived the boring study hard, learn numbers, get a tech job type life. I’ve always wanted to learn how to build a house - watched countless Youtube videos on it - but honestly can’t even build a box.

Sales is tough regardless of industry, but most tech sales require deep understanding of nuanced technology. It's not like they go to their local BestBuy and pickup their top sellers for these roles.....I interviewed out of grad school for a sales gig with a top firm and it was by far my hardest process of all my interviews. Often its former engineers/developers who actually have people skills that land these roles....

As far as Real Estate, good luck

Last edited:

I never got into any side of this life - lived the boring study hard, learn numbers, get a tech job type life. I’ve always wanted to learn how to build a house - watched countless Youtube videos on it - but honestly can’t even build a box.
You sounding like the guy from office space :lol:

I agree though, my Grandfather was a manager at Sears (when it was the Amazon of its day) And he could build/rebuild anything and drove the same diesel bug from the 70's, alway fixing it himeself. I unfortunately can't change a water filter.

my grandpa has built a ton of houses an has done a bunch of really nice remodels and he's always worked in offices except when he was in the military. old people can build anything. :lol:

I know he built a house or two that they lived in and a whole bunch with habitat for humanity.

I see it as, work hard and learn whatever skill set you actually enjoy. Yes, it’s hard work day in and day out, but you almost control how much you make. I say this because most guys start low, lightly learn the trade, and then jump around different companies all while making a few bucks more an hour here and there. Here’s the move though (this was my path, but there’s plenty of other trades), I focused on electrical work (wiring residential/commercial buildings, pulling wire, installing transformers/panels, conduit work, basic theory, etc), got my certs, and then started applying for big companies as a maintenance technician or specialized positions like an electrician. I did construction sites and residential work for about 4yrs and jumped to the aerospace sector. So many openings and possibilities. Now I’m making 6 figures a year, benefits, pto accrual, 401k, work 4/10s (I love my 3 day weekends), barely work hard, mostly do basic maintenance, and have the opportunity to go back to school for free. It’s really what you make of it. It’s hard on the body and there are definitely days that suck, but if you have a goal or destination it makes time fly. Doing construction just to do construction will burn you out, I’m sure those of us that have been around it long enough have seen the old timers with leather necks and busted *** hands. And if you’re going to really take it seriously, invest in yourself. GOOD TOOLS is a must, tough durable clothes that you don’t give an f about, and GOOD BOOTS! Remember, you’re standing or on a ladder most of the day, take care of your feet. My only regret is not understanding at a younger age that skilled labor doesn’t just pigeon hole you into construction, there’s plenty of other fields that require skilled laborers on site to keep a company running. The only downside to all of this is I can’t wear my sneakers to work.

most tech sales require deep understanding of nuanced technology
:lol: Negative, that's what the sales engineer is for. Of course you have to learn something about the product you sell, but you'll have a person with a deeper understanding on your team ready to fill in.

There was that story of a single mom who built her own house just from watching youtube tutorials. Sounded like BS and she probably had a lot of help.

i’m late but i work highway construction OP…i put up guardrail…

good money in the summer as there’s a generous amount of overtime to be had…construction under the sun sucks but it is what it is!!! 60+ hours a week in summer

rainy days and winter suck, but i usually still get at least 40 hours in winter…

i can’t lie i didn’t get any pto or sick leave or anything like that(its all
accrued)…but the pay is good enough that i was driving an hour one way for work up until a few weeks ago…

sounds like you have what it takes to rough it out OP…plus you bought tools so that’s another reason to stick it out!!

but like many in this thread i’m already planning my exit from construction…did office work until i caught a charge in 2017…been doing construction ever since…

recently got my cdl permit and plan on transitioning to a truck driver one day versus being a skilled laborer now…more pay less work..

but in the meantime i do what i have to do…i hate the job, but i love the checks…

oh and get a good pair of boots with some inserts as previously recommended…comfortable boots are literally a game changer!!!

Back
Top Bottom