World Championship Wrestling (WCW) Appreciation Post

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Originally Posted by Zyzz

the only thing to appreciate about WCW is the original NWO otherwise WCW would have been trash
You must not have been a fan of actual wrestling. Funny is whenever the NWO came on TV I would change the channel. 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by PLVN

The finish to this match has to be one of my favorite spots ever

Yes man. I already know what you are talking about. Top rope franken countered into a Walls of Jericho. Yea man that was when Jericho was making his rise to stardom. I hated  that my man Juvi was unmasked because of Jericho though. 
frown.gif

I might watch WCW Saturday Night. Ain't got no plans tonight.

oh i was a HUGE wrestling fan, trust me. i was a die hard WWF fan. i was in love with it
laugh.gif
sad to see wrestling today how stupid and fake it is.

dont understand how a lot of you guys on here can even watch it.

^ Yea but you saying the NWO was the only thing WCW had going for them is outright blasphemous though. They had some of the best actual WRESTLING in the entire world during 95-98.

1-900-909-9900

Man I know I had my fathers phone bill up to a thousand dollars messin with that damn hotline LOL

Didn't know the difference between long distance calls and hotlines. Thought they were the same thing. LOL

^ Yea but you saying the NWO was the only thing WCW had going for them is outright blasphemous though. They had some of the best actual WRESTLING in the entire world during 95-98.

1-900-909-9900

Man I know I had my fathers phone bill up to a thousand dollars messin with that damn hotline LOL

Didn't know the difference between long distance calls and hotlines. Thought they were the same thing. LOL

what the hell was even on those hotlines?
nerd.gif

laugh.gif

Mike Tenay always gave us updates on Dark Matches for Nitro's and PPVS.

News from Japan, results from cards........

Who was potentially coming over from WWF/ECW to WCW and vice versa and versa vice.

Basically think of what these internet new pages tell us now. Same thing.

I would call in the AM before school.
I would call when I got home from school.
I would call before I went to bed.

I was in 7th grade. Bell Atlantic bill as $1078.

My father was mad but he didn't even trip either. I might apologize again for that when I see him.

1-900-909-9900

Truth.............

WCW from 92- Whenever Hogan signed on 95, I think, was some of the best wrestling on Television........PERIOD, Sting vs. Flair @ Clash of the Champions when Sherri turned Heel was an all time great, Vader was a MONSTER, Harlem Heat were more over than any Tag Team you could think of right now, Rey Mysterio @ 21.......
pimp.gif
, Norman Smiley............
roll.gif

prior to Billionaire Ted getting his ego involved and actually trying to "Compete" with Vince, WCW put on a damn decent show......Once the NWO era started, and people jumping ship every week (Ted Dibiase, Virgil, Scott Norton in the NWO?), it became more about ratings than putting on a decent product, not too mention, WCW would still be on the air today, if corporate suits didnt pull it, as bad as they were getting, Nitro was still pulling over 3 million ppl a week which was pretty high in the late 90's..........

Best wrestling game ever
pimp.gif

Wiggle joystick, strong grapple, wiggle joystick again........ Game Over!

If you all go look at the first video I posted in OP, look at the first match (Liger and Guerrero) and you will hear how much hype Rey Mysterio Jr. had before coming to WCW.

Listen, I used to look at Pro Wrestling Illustrated, Inside Wrestling, and The Wrestler so I would hear all about these Mexican stars. Mysyerio, Konnan, "Jew-vin-tud" Guerrera. I wanted to see these dudes in person.

I had my first taste of lucha during the "When Worlds Collide" PPV that WCW carried for AAA/IWC of Mexico. So that is when I first saw Octogon, Psychois, Mysterio, Konnan, Mascarita Sagrada (Lucha ****** Max Mini of WWF).

So WCW gave me a chance to see all of these dudes in America. And I appreciated them for that.

That is why I am so pissed at TNA because I thought they would have done more to bring stars from Japan/Mexico but they don't do it as much as they used to.

If you all go look at the first video I posted in OP, look at the first match (Liger and Guerrero) and you will hear how much hype Rey Mysterio Jr. had before coming to WCW.

Listen, I used to look at Pro Wrestling Illustrated, Inside Wrestling, and The Wrestler so I would hear all about these Mexican stars. Mysyerio, Konnan, "Jew-vin-tud" Guerrera. I wanted to see these dudes in person.

I had my first taste of lucha during the "When Worlds Collide" PPV that WCW carried for AAA/IWC of Mexico. So that is when I first saw Octogon, Psychois, Mysterio, Konnan, Mascarita Sagrada (Lucha ****** Max Mini of WWF).

So WCW gave me a chance to see all of these dudes in America. And I appreciated them for that.

That is why I am so pissed at TNA because I thought they would have done more to bring stars from Japan/Mexico but they don't do it as much as they used to.
I think it was more ECW that gave the luchadors a chance rather than Dubya See Dubya... All Bischoff did was ran sack the talent from Paul E. I don't mind WCW but in the end, I'm glad it imploded the way they did. They were shady and they allowed the talent to have far more influence in the biz. They also thought guys like Austin, Mick Foley and as much as I hate him, HHH didn't have what it took to make it in the biz. 

Originally Posted by PedroCerrano

I think it was more ECW that gave the luchadors a chance rather than Dubya See Dubya... All Bischoff did was ran sack the talent from Paul E. I don't mind WCW but in the end, I'm glad it imploded the way they did. They were shady and they allowed the talent to have far more influence in the biz. They also thought guys like Austin, Mick Foley and as much as I hate him, HHH didn't have what it took to make it in the biz. 

Yea I know everyone came from ECW but There was no way for me to watch ECW until 1998 though. So for ME, WCW was the way I got my lucha fix. I know WCW highjacked ECW's talent but they weren't showing ECW in my region unless you had DirecTV.

Yall keep talking about WCW during mid to late 90's, but if you really want to see some amazing wrestling watch some WCW from the 80's..

Flair vs. Steamboat
Rude vs. Sting (International Title matches)
Road Warriors/Midnight Express/Doom/Horsemen
Big Van Vader w/Harley as his manager
Magnum and Nikita were beasts back in them days

These are the things yall need to look up and appreciate..Go right now and watch a Sting/Luger vs. Horsemen tag match and watch how these dudes worked there ases off..Watch any Flair and Ricky match and watch how real true professional wrestling is supposed to be performed..Oh and watch some stuff with my man Muta in it too..You won't be disappointed by any of this stuff if you like wrestling..

Originally Posted by Essential1

I miss World War 3. With the 3 ring battle royale

02b_WW3_1995_0003.jpg
eek.gif
  I forgot all about that.  There was a giant in each ring.  The Giant, The Yeti, and I can't remember the third one.  I forgot who won it.  Might've been the Macho Man to become the WCW Champion.
My friend also reminded me of a match when they stacked cages on top of other cages and you had to work your way up to the next level.  I think Savage and Hogan were the ones who had to make it out.

I liked how Nitro had that really long walkway to the ring.  Made the shows seem epic.

@casekicks,

That era is appreciated as well but I personally prefer the mid-90s because of the talent from around the world.
And of course I appreciate Muta.

<~~~~~~~~~~

Originally Posted by Shorty Doo Wop

What old ppvs do any of you guys rememember being awesome?

I got no plans for tonight minus well
Starcade 1995: World Cup of Professional Wrestling: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starrcade#1995 
Easily my favorite.

Starrcade 1996 was solid too especially the matches previously mentioned: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starrcade_(1996) 

Starrcade 1998 was special. It happened in DC.  Goldberg's first loss: First two matches were cool. Kidman pulled off an ugly Shooting Star Press to the outside. Heart for attempting it but I hated his SSP: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starrcade_(1998) 

Originally Posted by memphisboi55

Best wrestling game ever
pimp.gif

Wiggle joystick, strong grapple, wiggle joystick again........ Game Over!

eek.gif
at them just reskinning it for the wcw games, kept all the exact animations and everything
laugh.gif

edit - apparently virtual pro came out afterwards

Originally Posted by Shorty Doo Wop

What old ppvs do any of you guys rememember being awesome?

I got no plans for tonight minus well
Starcade 1995: World Cup of Professional Wrestling: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starrcade#1995 
Easily my favorite.

Starrcade 1996 was solid too especially the matches previously mentioned: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starrcade_(1996) 

Starrcade 1998 was special. It happened in DC.  Goldberg's first loss: First two matches were cool. Kidman pulled off an ugly Shooting Star Press to the outside. Heart for attempting it but I hated his SSP: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starrcade_(1998) 
Appreciate it
pimp.gif

@casekicks,

That era is appreciated as well but I personally prefer the mid-90s because of the talent from around the world.
And of course I appreciate Muta.

<~~~~~~~~~~

I know you do, but these other dudes really need to check it out..Because from a pure wrestling standpoint WCW from the early 80's to the mid 90's had the far superior wrestlers than WWF..Maybe they couldn't compete as far as characters go, but if you actually enjoy an 42 minute match where two guys go out there and put on a ballet between the ropes then you have to be a fan of WCW..And I feel ya on the international aspect of WCW from the mid to late 90s..The lucha libre they were putting on was second to none..Nothing quite like seeing my boy Dragon coming to the ring draped in more gold than Razor Ramon at his peak..
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Back
Top Bottom