Would LeBron James leave Nike?

Originally Posted by never wear them

Hahaha @ Lebron starting his own.....

Did you know he got rid of the team Nike presented him with?.... And then he hired his own......

Cmon.... What makes you think he's gonna be better off with a Logo that no one, but sneaker heads, knows about?

Answer me that..... I doubt you know anything about setting up a business like this.

Heck.... Jordan can't even branch out. If you ask me... They chickened out and knew that signing with Nike till 2023 was a far more profitable move. You won't be able to take the shoes that Nike designed for you nor will Nike even let you own the rights to it.

Even that Jay-z guy was smarter than what Ppl thought. Selling his brand but still investing into it and wearing it/walking advertisement.
i respect the knowledge you dropping
this what the forum for to read & learn
but instead of teach you rather just talk trash which is very immature by the way
i read threads from years ago and its way more knowledgeable than what people like you preach
just talk trash all day act like you better than sumone and you just a username on here just like me

you seem to have alot wisdom on the business side of sneakers
but everytime you post you always talkin bout (you dont know this you dont know that)
if you know sumthin bout the business i dont know salute to you neverwearthem
i join the board to learn about sneaker culture not to read bout what i dont know about
i just gave my opinion on the situation
i didnt know Jordan Brand signed with Nike till 2023
i learn sumthin new today courtesy of you

Did you know he got rid of the team Nike presented him with?.... And then he hired his own......

Cmon.... What makes you think he's gonna be better off with a Logo that no one, but sneaker heads, knows about?

Answer me that..... I doubt you know anything about setting up a business like this.

Heck.... Jordan can't even branch out. If you ask me... They chickened out and knew that signing with Nike till 2023 was a far more profitable move. You won't be able to take the shoes that Nike designed for you nor will Nike even let you own the rights to it.

Even that Jay-z guy was smarter than what Ppl thought. Selling his brand but still investing into it and wearing it/walking advertisement.
i respect the knowledge you dropping
this what the forum for to read & learn
but instead of teach you rather just talk trash which is very immature by the way
i read threads from years ago and its way more knowledgeable than what people like you preach
just talk trash all day act like you better than sumone and you just a username on here just like me

you seem to have alot wisdom on the business side of sneakers
but everytime you post you always talkin bout (you dont know this you dont know that)
if you know sumthin bout the business i dont know salute to you neverwearthem
i join the board to learn about sneaker culture not to read bout what i dont know about
i just gave my opinion on the situation
i didnt know Jordan Brand signed with Nike till 2023
i learn sumthin new today courtesy of you

Ain't trying to come off strong on you. Don't take it the wrong way... I'm no one... I just point out what it is and what is discussed. My fault.

Ain't trying to come off strong on you. Don't take it the wrong way... I'm no one... I just point out what it is and what is discussed. My fault.

Originally Posted by Crazy EBW

Originally Posted by duke4005

C'mon guys, no thoughts on what I posted?

I def agree with what you said about carrying a high end sneaker would be hard. I could see them having a core group of guys pushing a shoe in duff colorways etc. There's a lot more buzz around the hyperdunk and hyperfuse than anything else these days. Id love to see a high performance lowtop that isn't a Kobe. So have some guys get ddifferent colorways etc for a high end shoe would work out well. Have a high end hyper that a group pushes and don't worry about an individual selling a sig per say. Just a thought.
Thanks, Crazy. I knew once you and Never got on here it might get good.

If Nike does that, and with adidas doing the Brotherhood thing (I know, Rose and Howard got there sigs), and Jordan not even giving Wade his own yet, could it be the end of Sig models? And if so, could we see prices drop and come back to the consumer a little? Good for us.

Originally Posted by Crazy EBW

I def agree with what you said about carrying a high end sneaker would be hard. I could see them having a core group of guys pushing a shoe in duff colorways etc. There's a lot more buzz around the hyperdunk and hyperfuse than anything else these days. Id love to see a high performance lowtop that isn't a Kobe. So have some guys get ddifferent colorways etc for a high end shoe would work out well. Have a high end hyper that a group pushes and don't worry about an individual selling a sig per say. Just a thought.
Thanks, Crazy. I knew once you and Never got on here it might get good.

If Nike does that, and with adidas doing the Brotherhood thing (I know, Rose and Howard got there sigs), and Jordan not even giving Wade his own yet, could it be the end of Sig models? And if so, could we see prices drop and come back to the consumer a little? Good for us.

Your post can bring up sooo many opinions and questions... And a lot of us know what you bring to the table.

Regarding about lowering the msrp on a shoe that couldve been a sig... (phrasing it differently) wouldn't be a bad idea. Making a nice looking shoe that seems to have the elements to stamp it as a Sig and making it a must have for all shoe lovers is a great idea. I know for a fact a lot of Kobe heads liked the LBJ 7s... But since it a lebron shoe... It's a no go..... Tryna make my point w/o going into full detail

Which brings me to another topic.... How well is Nike without lebron....... Based on reports and reviews that I've read and have been told about.... He basically isnt getting his bonuses.... Not meeting basic goals basically.

How much was lebrons new deal?... 100 for 7years.... That's 14 a year.... How much does he bring in? That we will never really know... Unless Nike met or surpassed the goal right? (Nat Turner's queue)
Nike probably spends around $3-$4,000 in office supplies A Year.... How much does Nike Expect to bring in with that new NFL deal?.... "I'm Just saying....."

My phone is gonna die....

Your post can bring up sooo many opinions and questions... And a lot of us know what you bring to the table.

Regarding about lowering the msrp on a shoe that couldve been a sig... (phrasing it differently) wouldn't be a bad idea. Making a nice looking shoe that seems to have the elements to stamp it as a Sig and making it a must have for all shoe lovers is a great idea. I know for a fact a lot of Kobe heads liked the LBJ 7s... But since it a lebron shoe... It's a no go..... Tryna make my point w/o going into full detail

Which brings me to another topic.... How well is Nike without lebron....... Based on reports and reviews that I've read and have been told about.... He basically isnt getting his bonuses.... Not meeting basic goals basically.

How much was lebrons new deal?... 100 for 7years.... That's 14 a year.... How much does he bring in? That we will never really know... Unless Nike met or surpassed the goal right? (Nat Turner's queue)
Nike probably spends around $3-$4,000 in office supplies A Year.... How much does Nike Expect to bring in with that new NFL deal?.... "I'm Just saying....."

My phone is gonna die....

Didn't one of our fallen OG NikeTalkers mention that Nike profits a grip load of moolah on sport gear and almost 2/3rds equivalent to actual contracts with National associations or leagues?.... So losing a basketball player can't really be that hurtful... Can it?....

Aww yesss... RockDeep was the name

Didn't one of our fallen OG NikeTalkers mention that Nike profits a grip load of moolah on sport gear and almost 2/3rds equivalent to actual contracts with National associations or leagues?.... So losing a basketball player can't really be that hurtful... Can it?....

Aww yesss... RockDeep was the name

thanks neverwearthem
now why would nike keep lebron on roster if they not making a good return on investment though?
or they hoping this miami heat thing will help his brand sell more
i always was under the impression lebrons sold always seeing them in front of sneaker store
also they have that 160 tag which is less than kobe's

thanks neverwearthem
now why would nike keep lebron on roster if they not making a good return on investment though?
or they hoping this miami heat thing will help his brand sell more
i always was under the impression lebrons sold always seeing them in front of sneaker store
also they have that 160 tag which is less than kobe's

Yeah man, I always thought lebron sold well too... in order for him to have all that gear and 5 diff versions of the shoe from low top to ps to ambassadors to soldiers and more. But that's what needs to be put out to meet his goals. They can't base the contract on just the actual sig.

Kobes do sell very well. He sells more than JB is what some source say in Asia.
Los Angeles is the 2nd biggest city in the U.S... And it's Kobe's city.... If Lebron went to NY... Oh man... Nike definitely stated that he would NOT get a Bonus... But we hardly even see Kobe gear at the outlets... If so... It'll get gobbled up here in LA.

Yeah man, I always thought lebron sold well too... in order for him to have all that gear and 5 diff versions of the shoe from low top to ps to ambassadors to soldiers and more. But that's what needs to be put out to meet his goals. They can't base the contract on just the actual sig.

Kobes do sell very well. He sells more than JB is what some source say in Asia.
Los Angeles is the 2nd biggest city in the U.S... And it's Kobe's city.... If Lebron went to NY... Oh man... Nike definitely stated that he would NOT get a Bonus... But we hardly even see Kobe gear at the outlets... If so... It'll get gobbled up here in LA.

Originally Posted by Nat Turner

Originally Posted by CWK

The SI article is accurate - anyone who says otherwise is ignorant.  Although previous marquee endorsers such as Kevin Garnett and Andre Agassi have defected, I think it's a general consensus in the sports marketing industry that NIKE is still the global leader, especially for basketball.  LeBron is smart enough to recognize a good situation - I would be really surprised if he ever considered bolting.  I don't have sales figures in front of me, but I would guess that NIKE's investment in LeBron has broken even so far at the very least.  I live in one of the largest markets in the country, and I don't see his merchandise dominating on or off the court.  I think there are two main reasons for this:

- He's a great basketball player but he's not as interesting or exciting to watch as Jordan or even Kobe.  This will change if and when he wins a ring, but until then...

- His entire collection (footwear, apparel, equipment, and accessories) has seemed second-rate from a design standpoint.  I liked the Air Zoom Lebron III and the Zoom Lebron Soldier III but those were the exceptions to the rule.  His commercials have been kind of hit or miss.  That being said, I think the "What Should I Do" commercial was brilliant.  The Air Max Lebron VIII is a step in the right direction.  To me it has a very late 80's - early 90's influence - the upper, midsole, and cushioning look comfortable and durable.

Not really, it is about what the article does NOT say. Nike came back at the last minute upping the ante, thus my stating that the article not being accurate. Adidas wasn't going to match those numbers, thus telling LeBron to go and do his thing.
Why should we trust your word over SI's? Bias is a two-way street. 

Originally Posted by CWK

The SI article is accurate - anyone who says otherwise is ignorant.  Although previous marquee endorsers such as Kevin Garnett and Andre Agassi have defected, I think it's a general consensus in the sports marketing industry that NIKE is still the global leader, especially for basketball.  LeBron is smart enough to recognize a good situation - I would be really surprised if he ever considered bolting.  I don't have sales figures in front of me, but I would guess that NIKE's investment in LeBron has broken even so far at the very least.  I live in one of the largest markets in the country, and I don't see his merchandise dominating on or off the court.  I think there are two main reasons for this:

- He's a great basketball player but he's not as interesting or exciting to watch as Jordan or even Kobe.  This will change if and when he wins a ring, but until then...

- His entire collection (footwear, apparel, equipment, and accessories) has seemed second-rate from a design standpoint.  I liked the Air Zoom Lebron III and the Zoom Lebron Soldier III but those were the exceptions to the rule.  His commercials have been kind of hit or miss.  That being said, I think the "What Should I Do" commercial was brilliant.  The Air Max Lebron VIII is a step in the right direction.  To me it has a very late 80's - early 90's influence - the upper, midsole, and cushioning look comfortable and durable.

Not really, it is about what the article does NOT say. Nike came back at the last minute upping the ante, thus my stating that the article not being accurate. Adidas wasn't going to match those numbers, thus telling LeBron to go and do his thing.

Nike might be the most insanely good brand at cultivating brand loyalty and multiple purchases. His shoe discounting to $100... that doesn't exactly matter. Nike builds in these huge prices so they can make a killing on the exclusive releases.

That being said, Nike will keep LeBron forever, unless UA comes around and gives him AN insane equity deal.

Nike might be the most insanely good brand at cultivating brand loyalty and multiple purchases. His shoe discounting to $100... that doesn't exactly matter. Nike builds in these huge prices so they can make a killing on the exclusive releases.

That being said, Nike will keep LeBron forever, unless UA comes around and gives him AN insane equity deal.

BUT YOU posting is super annoying...going all out being some wise crack. YOU cannot change people thoughts about nike so you go insult them?

cmon son.

what's your mission anyway? to go on a Black-ops type, trying to stick YOUR IDEAS to the people in this board and insult them if they dont agree?

Thats Coach Hubie/Jack Johnson/Nat Turner...disagree with him and prove him wrong and he will insult you or dismiss your opinion because you are either young or a blind Nike lover. The message board suffers as long as his ignorance is allowed.

BUT YOU posting is super annoying...going all out being some wise crack. YOU cannot change people thoughts about nike so you go insult them?

cmon son.

what's your mission anyway? to go on a Black-ops type, trying to stick YOUR IDEAS to the people in this board and insult them if they dont agree?

Thats Coach Hubie/Jack Johnson/Nat Turner...disagree with him and prove him wrong and he will insult you or dismiss your opinion because you are either young or a blind Nike lover. The message board suffers as long as his ignorance is allowed.

bijald0331 wrote:

CWK wrote:

You don't have to trust anything that I suggest, but the proof is there. Why would LeBron sign with Nike, if another company was willing to give him more cash? Be smart, no sneaker company has more money and influence to throw around than Nike. If Reebok had more, there is no way that Adidas would have been able to buy out Reebok, then taking over the NBA aparrel deal. Reebok needed LeBron, then did what they could to get him, but Nike threw down the gauntlet with the 90 mil deal, even before he signed his NBA deal. 

bijald0331 wrote:

CWK wrote:

You don't have to trust anything that I suggest, but the proof is there. Why would LeBron sign with Nike, if another company was willing to give him more cash? Be smart, no sneaker company has more money and influence to throw around than Nike. If Reebok had more, there is no way that Adidas would have been able to buy out Reebok, then taking over the NBA aparrel deal. Reebok needed LeBron, then did what they could to get him, but Nike threw down the gauntlet with the 90 mil deal, even before he signed his NBA deal. 

bijald0331 wrote:

CWK wrote:

Right or wrong, hasn't Nike built an emotional cache to the best and brightest players? I find it incredibly plausible that LeBron signed with Nike for slightly less than what was offered from Adidas. For signature lines, I don't think it's a reach to say Nike has a built-in advantage from years of success and marketing especially with someone like LeBron whose main idol was Nike's big ticket. Also, the SI article says that the Nike contract was incentive-based. If I read right, Nike offered 90mm base with a bunch of incentives while Reebok offered 10-15mm more but not as much room to balloon through incentives. We all know LeBron has a big ego. I can see Nike's cache and an incentive-based contract as two of the reasons for LeBron's decision.
Does anybody have any details about the Kobe transition from Adidas to Nike? Did Nike "throw down the gauntlet" in this case as well? 

bijald0331 wrote:

CWK wrote:

Right or wrong, hasn't Nike built an emotional cache to the best and brightest players? I find it incredibly plausible that LeBron signed with Nike for slightly less than what was offered from Adidas. For signature lines, I don't think it's a reach to say Nike has a built-in advantage from years of success and marketing especially with someone like LeBron whose main idol was Nike's big ticket. Also, the SI article says that the Nike contract was incentive-based. If I read right, Nike offered 90mm base with a bunch of incentives while Reebok offered 10-15mm more but not as much room to balloon through incentives. We all know LeBron has a big ego. I can see Nike's cache and an incentive-based contract as two of the reasons for LeBron's decision.
Does anybody have any details about the Kobe transition from Adidas to Nike? Did Nike "throw down the gauntlet" in this case as well? 

I doubt you do as well. Patrick Ewing, Stephon Marbury. Both did, then both had regional success, and neither had the global acclaim of Lebron James. All he needs is a company to take over, then putting his stamp on it....like And 1.

LeBron does not need Nike, but Nike needs LeBron James.

One of the reasons that Nike does not have the NBA contract, is that Nike thought that they were bigger than the NBA. They had MJ, Barkley, Robinson, and other top players, then tried to make Nike synonymous with the NBA Brand. David Stern wasn't having it, thus Reebok getting it, then Adidas.

Now that the popularity of Nike starts to wane, then with the ubiquitous Kobe Bryant as one of their main men, LeBron James holds the lynchpin. Whoever said that Kobe is their main man is lying. Nike does NOT release the numbers on how many shoes they make, not showing their true sales. They also intimidate their retailers, so that they will not release their number on Nike sales as well.

They have NOBODY else to push a 160 dollar shoe. If his sales were that weak, LeBron would not spearhead a shoe at that price point, Kobe Bryant would.

Back
Top Bottom