Would you dorm at college as a 23 yr old?

I have a chance to get free tuition at a school but I would have to dorm or somehow find an apartment close by. Would you guys do the dorm thing for the first time as a 23 year old? or will it be really weird?

I personally wouldn't do it. But if you are going to, then just get a single and you'll be fine.

I was in a Freshman dorm when I was 20 because I was on the waiting list for a room and it was the only one available.. It was kinda weird since they were all 18, and some were even 17, but since they're all freshman, they all look up to you like you're a God because you know so much more about the school and the area than they do. It will be fine

I think you'd be ok dorming it your first year and then trying to find an apartment nearby your second year. I knew a few guys 22 and 23 when I was 19 in the dorms, they were a little unsure at first since they were living with mostly 18-19 year-olds in the dorm but eventually ended up making friends with some of the younger students. Also, depending on your school size, there may be a dorm for mostly upperclassmen so definitely look into that.

for free? sure why not.

i had a 4 year full academic scholarship, but the school was only about 15 minutes away from my house. my options were to live at home with parents (no chance), pay for an apt out of pocket, or live in the dorms. Obviously freshman year and even soph year was somewhat normal, but even after that it wasnt terrible being the "old guy" in the dorms. I just got a single so I didnt have to end up with some incoming freshman and it was ok. Not an ideal situation, but neither is paying rent when you dont have to.

Originally Posted by OHyeah10

I have a chance to get free tuition at a school but I would have to dorm or somehow find an apartment close by. Would you guys do the dorm thing for the first time as a 23 year old? or will it be really weird?

I don't see why you're even wondering

many factors here - by free tuition, do you mean dorm is included? As in academic + housing paid for? If you decide not to live on campus, do they give you an amount of money to use for an apartment?

If theyre paying for your dorm, theres really no question as to what to do, take it. thats awesome. If they would give you money in order to find your own housing, youd have to determine the prices around campus vs how much theyd give you and all that.

Either way its a pretty great problem to have.

I'll tell you from personally experience, yes it will be a little weird at first. College kids are just that; kids! They have no real world experience jumping from high school straight into the college dorm life. Some of the +%%# I've seen i tell you. Especially if you're gonna be doing the co-op dorm thing. But if you can find upperclassmen or grad school apartments then it wont be that weird, or if you're in for your second childhood then rock out. I might be in your situation at 25 and have to live in the dorms. It will be some adjusting too, but older students have great followings, you just have to know where you fit in, those kids will get on your nerves!

If I didn't want to smandangle any females, then yes. Otherwise, I'd live off campus and profit.

Originally Posted by Vendetta

OHyeah10 wrote:

I don't see why you're even wondering

its only free tuition for classes, not the dorms. I would be paying for it but Im leaning towards just doing it now. I never had the dorm experience when I first started college so maybe it will be a good experience
laugh.gif

Nah you ll be ok. There was a guy in my dorm who was 28 and goin for a masters.

In fact I didnt start dorming til I was 19. I did my first year of college taking the train to school

I've never done the dorms, I've been commuting my entire undergraduate career
, but I've visted a bunch of friends at their schools and got a feel for what the experience might be like and it was fun, it was just the underclassmen were just real immature...

Back
Top Bottom