Would you ever let your parents borrow or have money?

This conversation came up with some of my family (brothers, sisters, cousins). I said no. My parents, although they are great people, they sucked at parenting. I dont care to ever help them. I couldnt see myself letting them borrow or have money unless it was a life or death situation.

Has anyone here let parents borrow a large amount of money? How did that go?

Last edited:
I would let my dad borrow because he is the type to honor his debt despite closeness or blood ties.  On that reason alone I would let him borrow and not even pay me back (unless I needed it back) because I know of his own GP he would pay it back.

I wouldn't let my mom borrow.  She def is the type to try to bring up all that she has done or the fact that she is my mother to get out of it.  I'd rather her just say she needed money rather than ask to borrow.

Yes I would give them money if I had it and wasn't in need of saving it as long as they don't gamble or wastebit on something stupid

If my parents ever need money then yes, but I could never see them needing money.

My wife's parents...HELL NO! Her mom is a major leech and I already have to give her little bits here and there. Her dad is cool but dumb as **** with his money and somewhat shady. He's also done things in the past to her related to money (before I met her) that I don't appreciate. He's starting to make pretty good money again so I hope this is never an issue again (she asked me once a year back and I said no).

Nothing against her family either because I've helped her brother out a little. He also helped her out a lot in the past (over $3,500) and gave his dad about $10,000 over 6 months a couple years back when he made really good money. I think his dad paid him back about half so far.

My family is tight as hell. So yes, if they were ever in a situation where they needed it, I would no doubt let them have it (not borrow).

I just couldn't picture myself telling them no.

That fact that I had amazing parental structure growing up, I'd give them all I had if they needed it..

parents and in-laws yes without question and i wouldn't ask to be paid back. that's pretty much it. my brother, wife's sister or other family, no. money tends to tear apart families.

Id def help my parents out... they'd never need it tho..
pimp.gif

Last edited:
I would give it to them, not let them borrow it. Im not chasing down my mom and pops asking where's my money at? 
laugh.gif

I would help my in laws too if it came down to it. Now im not gonna break the bank for them like I would my parents, but Id try to help them

Last edited:
I would do it without a second thought about it. I would just give them the money. I cant even fathom the amount of money they spent on me so why wouldnt I just give them money. They would never ask tho.

When family asks for money, I just give it to them and never expect it back. If I can't just outright give it to them then I tell them I don't have any. I have seen families crumble over a couple thousand. It's not worth it.

I would never let them borrow money. That would cause a strain on the relationship. I would rather gift the money instead.

Why is this even a thread? If you're in good standing with your parents and you don't let them borrow money you're a messed up person.

I'd let pops borrow/have whatever I had.

Last edited:
I had great parents so yes. Also I'd be more worried why they askin for money. First thing id think of is "they done got caught up in some investor scheme." Word to American Greed.

Back
Top Bottom