Would you play in the NFL if you had the opportunity?

For many people the answer is obvious "yes" but for me it requires a deeper look, specifically at life expectancy.

"The 517 former NFL players who died during that 35-year period did so at an average age of 59.6 years"

Compare this with the average life expectancy of a US male which is 75 years. Is the money, fame and accolades that come with cleaning NFL worst (on average) taking 15 years off of your life? Would it be a circumstantial decision (ie "I would normally play if I were a quarterback/kicker or if I were a first round pick")

This reminds me of those debates would have growing up where people would ask "how much money is worth years off of your life?"

Statistics like this help me understand why there is a growing trend of NFL players choosing to retire early as opposed to playing until their bodies are completely broken.

Eh, most of us eat like garbage and might be taking off just as many years of our lives so we midas whale.

The truly scary part is that despite how poorly the average American male eats, they still live 15 years longer than the average NFL player. That really says something about just how short the lifespan of an NFL player is. A life expectancy of 59 is on par with some of the poorest developing nations in the world.

The truly scary part is that despite how poorly the average American male eats, they still live 15 years longer than the average NFL player. That really says something about just how short the lifespan of an NFL player is. A life expectancy of 59 is on par with some of the poorest developing nations in the world.

if I’m going in the books as a LEGEND, You gotta be ok sacrificing them years. Price you gotta pay. You think Roman/ancient athletes lived past 50..

Still nowhere nearly as dangerous as Pro Wrestling with better compensation and lifestyle and an actual offseason

if I’m going in the books as a LEGEND, You gotta be ok sacrificing them years. Price you gotta pay. You think Roman/ancient athletes lived past 50..

The likelihood of you being a LEGEND is very low. The average NFL career is 3 years. Also, most of those ancient athletes didn't have a choice

The likelihood of you being a LEGEND is very low. The average NFL career is 3 years. Also, most of those ancient athletes didn't have a choice
All the data you speak of is true. It’s not logically smart to participate. But some people like being physical and rough. Maybe not good for the long run but maybe 5 yrs in the nfl getting millions to invest plus i get to smash all the fine bishes

Nah. Used to play as a corner until some lineman fell backwards and his damn helmet landed on my kneecap. I was okay after a few hours but it scared the **** out of me. On top of that, it was an accident, so I couldn't even imagine people going after me like that on a higher level.

At that rate If I have a chance to make 7 figures with my skill I'm gonna take it.

Alot of the early damage has already been done playing prep and college to even make it in the league and you were doing that for free at the time

Wasn't baseball your better sport?
I chose baseball because I had a better chance of going pro after high school. Mr. P (Brandon Phillips Father) my hitting coach told me to forgo my senior year on the gridiron and dedicate the whole year on the diamond. I should’ve kept playing both.

I chose baseball because I had a better chance of going pro after high school. Mr. P (Brandon Phillips Father) my hitting coach told me to forgo my senior year on the gridiron and dedicate the whole year on the diamond. I should’ve kept playing both.

What position in baseball? didn't u get a scholarship to Albany State?

Legends live forever

I'd be remembered as the worst football player of all time.

Back
Top Bottom