Would you rather have a #1 receiving TE or a #1 WR?

This year we saw the emergence of tight ends such as Jimmy Graham and Rob Gronkowski. Tight ends who can create coverage mismatches are becoming teams' new favorite weapons. My question is, in crunch time, would you rather have a guy like Graham/Gronkowski or Fitz/Megatron?

Having a top TE is the thing right now. If I've got a sturdy OL, my QB, and a good RB, then I'd go TE.

I'd rather have Jimmy Graham. He's more versatile than Gronk. I'd even take Gronk's teammate Hernandez, before Gronk. Again, more versatile. Only way you take a receiver is if he's gauranteed Fitz, CJ, or AJ quality.

Originally Posted by 651akathePaul

Having a top TE is the thing right now. If I've got a sturdy OL, my QB, and a good RB, then I'd go TE.

I'd rather have Jimmy Graham. He's more versatile than Gronk. I'd even take Gronk's teammate Hernandez, before Gronk. Again, more versatile. Only way you take a receiver is if he's gauranteed Fitz, CJ, or AJ quality.

I tend to agree. I don't think the question is as easy as everyone makes it to be. Obviously Megatron is the best but a top TE is much more of a mismatch (at least in my IMO) versus a LB than a #1 WR vs. a CB. 

I don't know if this answers your question but give me Calvin Johnson over any non quarterback in NFL.

Hernandez over Gronk ?? Nahh
laugh.gif

As far as TEs go its Gronk / Jimmy> ________

Hernandez is nice but if i had to pick im taking Gronkowski all day. Dude broke all sorts of records this year
laugh.gif

In what way is Jimmy more versatile than Gronk?

And Hernandez may be more multi faceted than Gronk/Graham but @ the same time there are throws and things you can do w/ Gronk/Graham that you can't do w/ AH and vice versa. But the face that the Pats have both is unfair b/c ther is literally nothing you can't do
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif

don't forget vernon davis. dude's a physical specimen. imagine if he had a real qb to throw to him consistently.

Originally Posted by dreClark

In what way is Jimmy more versatile than Gronk?
Graham is essentially a WR in a TE's body. With his speed and quickness (relative to his size) he could play anywhere on the field. While you could send Gronk out wide, he won't have quite the range of effective and timely routes that Graham can do. 
The thing about Gronk is his size (not to downplay his athleticism) though. Just throw him the ball and he'll come down with it, so you won't go wrong any way you go. 

Originally Posted by NooEra

Hernandez over Gronk ?? Nahh
laugh.gif

As far as TEs go its Gronk / Jimmy> ________

Hernandez is nice but if i had to pick im taking Gronkowski all day. Dude broke all sorts of records this year
laugh.gif
Let me clarify my point. Records are nice, but Gronk isn't lining up at WR and H back like Hernandez is. If I were a coach, I would absolutely love to have a player like that. It's not to say Gronk isn't great, because he is, but my preference on a team I would build would be Hernandez.
Like Dre hit on though..The fact that they have Hernandez and Gronk is just 
sick.gif

Are you asking if I would rather have Gronkowski/Graham or Calvin/Fitzgerald?

Calvin/Fitzgerald.

Easily.

Give me a top wideout over a tight end although I feel like you'd have to know the whole scenario to answer the question more specifically what's your personnel looking like..

WR, no question.

if you have a guy who can like Megatron who can open up the field, it does wonders for your offense. just having them on the field changes the game, even if you never throw them the ball.

I will take a top flight receiver. I believe they have the ability to stretch the field more. Most tight ends are effective inside the numbers  only. It is also easier to jam the tight ends at the line since they usually line up right beside the O-Line. You can also send extra blitzers off the edge  and that can force the tight end to stay in and help block. In all, I think you can game plan more to stop a top tier tight end as opposed to a receiver.

well in the case of Gronk over Graham, i think Gronk will help you out so much more in pass protections and in the running game than Graham.

I'd take the elite tight end over any receiver not named Calvin, Andre or Fitzgerald.

Back
Top Bottom