Yo NYC NT'ers, HELP...Vol. Jumping the Turnstile

indifferent.gif

stupid !!@ me,

I just got a $100 ticket for jumping the turnstile...well technically walking through the service gate.

I was so pissed, that I crumpled it up and threw it out...But it will be sent to my address regardless.

I've been reading that if I don't pay the fine, there will be a warrant issued for my arrest. 

Here's the problem, the ticket will be sent to an NYC address and I'll be in CA for the next month and a half and obviously I don't want to get arrested when I come back in January...

How can I avoid this?

BTW, I've tried calling all kinds of phone #'s from the MTA website but none of the lines are open right now.

Not to mention tomorrow is Christmas eve & friday, so I may have to wait until Monday to even get a response to this question.

Can anyone help me out. 

indifferent.gif

stupid !!@ me,

I just got a $100 ticket for jumping the turnstile...well technically walking through the service gate.

I was so pissed, that I crumpled it up and threw it out...But it will be sent to my address regardless.

I've been reading that if I don't pay the fine, there will be a warrant issued for my arrest. 

Here's the problem, the ticket will be sent to an NYC address and I'll be in CA for the next month and a half and obviously I don't want to get arrested when I come back in January...

How can I avoid this?

BTW, I've tried calling all kinds of phone #'s from the MTA website but none of the lines are open right now.

Not to mention tomorrow is Christmas eve & friday, so I may have to wait until Monday to even get a response to this question.

Can anyone help me out. 

Originally Posted by krazy88s

Where are you staying in NYC? Have someone where you're staying mail it to you.
Not possible I live in a dorm, no one's going to be here till winter break ends

Originally Posted by krazy88s

Where are you staying in NYC? Have someone where you're staying mail it to you.
Not possible I live in a dorm, no one's going to be here till winter break ends

Originally Posted by mondaynightraw

Should have thought about that before you went through the service gate 
grin.gif
eyes.gif
 I should have thought about it before I did it?
1st of all, I've seen plenty of people jump the turnstile and not get caught.

In fact I saw people entering through the service gate w/o swiping while that punk #@% cop was writing me up!

2nd, I've been in NYC for three months dude...

And it ain't like I ride the subway every day, or even once a week for that matter.

Originally Posted by mondaynightraw

Should have thought about that before you went through the service gate 
grin.gif
eyes.gif
 I should have thought about it before I did it?
1st of all, I've seen plenty of people jump the turnstile and not get caught.

In fact I saw people entering through the service gate w/o swiping while that punk #@% cop was writing me up!

2nd, I've been in NYC for three months dude...

And it ain't like I ride the subway every day, or even once a week for that matter.

[h1]Through the turnstile and onto the train[/h1]
[h2]L.A.County's Metropolitan Transportation Authority has used a gate-freehonor system for decades. Now, to recoup revenue lost to fare cheaters,it's installing turnstiles at subway stations.[/h2]

August 17, 2009|Dan Weikel

Some Los Angeles subway riders are about to lose their ability to simply hop aboard without buying a ticket.

Thecounty Metropolitan Transportation Authority is taking steps this monthto erase its distinction as the only major transit agency in the UnitedStates that doesn't equip its stations with turnstiles and securitybarriers.

For decades, the MTA has used a gate-free honor systemin which passengers walk unimpeded to train platforms without verifyingthat they have a ticket. To catch fare cheaters, the agency has reliedon random checks by civilian inspectors and sheriff's deputies. But thefine for lacking a ticket -- up to $250 -- still hasn't deterred someriders from taking their chances. Cheaters cost the system at least $5million a year in lost revenue.

[h1]Through the turnstile and onto the train[/h1]
[h2]L.A.County's Metropolitan Transportation Authority has used a gate-freehonor system for decades. Now, to recoup revenue lost to fare cheaters,it's installing turnstiles at subway stations.[/h2]

August 17, 2009|Dan Weikel

Some Los Angeles subway riders are about to lose their ability to simply hop aboard without buying a ticket.

Thecounty Metropolitan Transportation Authority is taking steps this monthto erase its distinction as the only major transit agency in the UnitedStates that doesn't equip its stations with turnstiles and securitybarriers.

For decades, the MTA has used a gate-free honor systemin which passengers walk unimpeded to train platforms without verifyingthat they have a ticket. To catch fare cheaters, the agency has reliedon random checks by civilian inspectors and sheriff's deputies. But thefine for lacking a ticket -- up to $250 -- still hasn't deterred someriders from taking their chances. Cheaters cost the system at least $5million a year in lost revenue.

Just an FYI, they WILL issue a warrant for your arrest. What you should have done was right after you got the ticket, buy and swipe a metrocard. I've been in that same situation before (I was in HighSchool and had a student metrocard). I got caught, then I swiped it after he wrote me the ticket (i was trying to save a fare....
30t6p3b.gif
) Went to the Transit Adjudication Bureau and got an abstract (list of dates and times that the metro card was used). Went to court, lied my $%$ off. No fine.

Just an FYI, they WILL issue a warrant for your arrest. What you should have done was right after you got the ticket, buy and swipe a metrocard. I've been in that same situation before (I was in HighSchool and had a student metrocard). I got caught, then I swiped it after he wrote me the ticket (i was trying to save a fare....
30t6p3b.gif
) Went to the Transit Adjudication Bureau and got an abstract (list of dates and times that the metro card was used). Went to court, lied my $%$ off. No fine.

Back
Top Bottom