"You have damaged your own race" Philadelphia mayor to black youth

Originally Posted by rashi

Originally Posted by UPandCOMING32

What if the mayor was White?

he'll still be RIGHT for what he's saying...yea a lot of people will go against him (white man making comments about another race)
what about.....if the kids who were doing this were white,and the same mayor made the same comments?

If White kids were doing it, people would be like (especially on this board).

"White people..."

"Well, they're White."

"Man, you don't see brothas doing this."
cant compare NT to the public...you should know that
laugh.gif

man Im white, and if i saw "mobs" of white people doing this same $%^& (wearing pants below their ***, jumping people, robbing, etc.) I would STILL agree with the mayor. People here in NY do the same $%^& with that sagging pants BS down to their knees, i always
30t6p3b.gif
everytime i see it. No i havent seen a white person do it, but if I did, I would
30t6p3b.gif
at them also.

Im not a grown man,nor am I a teen, but the way "the youth" is acting today (like the people in Philly) is despicable. Dropping out of school, no jobs, dressingl iek fools, robbing, fighting,etc....of coruse no one will take them serious....what a joke

I swear a lot of u skim **%# just to make a face value argument. Yall refuse to look at the underlying meaning. the same thing w/ that thread about the white boys killin the black dude. Yall look at the surface and make a bs generalization about the argument.

I feel what the mayor is sayin. Yall have to understand that this is the generation that will be the adults when some of us are older.

Originally Posted by Josednk1068

excuse my ignorance but what is a flash mob?

A flash mob (or flashmob)[1] is a group of people who assemble suddenly in a public place, perform an unusual and sometimes seemingly pointless act for a brief time, then disperse.

In this case, it's kids coming together to basically incite mini riots.

Originally Posted by Mr DragonFly Jones

What if the mayor was White?
..he'd still be right.

Yes he Would still be right but a lot of people would play the racist card on him. Race isn't the issue, it's what's going on. Just look around you.

Originally Posted by illwill8710

Nutter is right but he has taken way too long to take action. Flash Mobs have been a constant problem for the past three years in certain areas of the city(south street, center city, etc.). Furthermore Nutter has severely cut funding for youth summer jobs and afterschool program for the past few years. Some of the blame can be pointed right back to his actions as well. 

Summer jobs are definitely an issue. In this short piece he appears to be against cuts that would result in fewer summer jobs. I'm not saying you're wrong though; I'm not familiar with his policies.
[h2][/h2]
[h2]Federal cuts mean fewer summer jobs for Philly kids[/h2]
Federal cuts have resulted in fewer summer jobs for teens in Philadelphia.

A year ago, 36,000 Philadelphia teens applied for summer jobs and about a third of them were given work for the summer. This year, the city only has about 5,500 jobs available—and there are twice as many applicants.

Mayor Michael Nutter says that equation is not good.

"It will have an impact on the justice system, our Philadelphia Police Department and departments all over the United States of America will end up picking up the collateral damage as a result of acts of Congress to cut the summer jobs program," said Nutter, adding it will be "a disaster all across the United States of America."

Demetrius Lacey, one teen who did not get a summer job, said he's upset at a missed opportunity.

"As a student preparing to begin my college career, it's important to understand the professional world," he said. "The Workready program would not just teach me technical skills, but soft skills such as proper professional dress, resume writing, networking, interviewing skills."

The Urban Affairs Coalition is collecting donations to hire more teens for the summer.

http://www.newsworks.org/...philly-kids&Itemid=1

saw some of this mess on the news the other day. this has been happening since 2010?

shame. waste of life.

I have a few friends who work for the juvi courts in phila, and a majority are blacks more like 80-90%. doing things like this is giving Philly a bad name and bad rep.

anyway, my one friend who is a judge said these kids who get brought in no matter how young are not going to get bail, and will have to sit in a holding cell until their court date. one 14 year old kid was held for 11 days.

it's ashame that these kids get this bored that they want to go out and just start trouble for no reason. it's only a matter of time before a cop seriously injures some 'poor' kid and a full blown race riot breaks out.

I like it, riot in the streets until these kids get jobs or something to do with their summer. Not down with riots turning into gang violence, but that is the consequence of people, not just youth or adults, without jobs, frustrated, angry and bored. Most of these kids are doing it just to do it to be honest. Still, can't help to wonder if there was something better for them to do would they be flash mobbing or if their parents cared that there 11 year old was out at all hours of the night. Hopefully the people will stand up in a positive way, opposed to more restrictions of freedoms. People will demand that there be some type of summer programs for kids, preferably jobs or sports. Stop firing teachers and cutting school funding; maybe kids won't be spend their summers running around in the streets potentially getting criminal records that will follow them in far into their futures.

and before someone says "they are kids, they know what their doing'' there is a reason we have a juvenile court system; or age of consent laws; or child labor laws; or any other laws that "protect our children"

Oh and the things you learn in school, the jobs that you get during the year, the clubs that you want to be a part of, the sports that you want to play are all factors in what you do with your summer. For instance, football players have 7 on 7 summer workouts what have you.

it's only a matter of time before a cop seriously injures some 'poor' kid and a full blown race riot breaks out.

I'm glad and relieved that this hasn't yet then especially since this has been going on for such a long time as I'm just learning from some of the Philly residents in this thread.  That's definitely next to happen though.

Originally Posted by dadecounty11

Originally Posted by CincoSeisDos

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

The part that you bolded....where is the Mayor wrong? He's generalizing, but A LOT of people need to wake up. Doing things in the "now," rather than focusing on their future or consequences for their actions.

I love how y'all think the future is promise to you.

All we have is the "now".

Originally Posted by Quincy Powell

Why are African-Americans so judgmental of each other?

Rhetorical.
This is so unfortunately true but their is a reason for this

Originally Posted by bboy1827

I like it, riot in the streets until these kids get jobs or something to do with their summer. Not down with riots turning into gang violence, but that is the consequence of people, not just youth or adults, without jobs, frustrated, angry and bored. Most of these kids are doing it just to do it to be honest. Still, can't help to wonder if there was something better for them to do would they be flash mobbing or if their parents cared that there 11 year old was out at all hours of the night. Hopefully the people will stand up in a positive way, opposed to more restrictions of freedoms. People will demand that there be some type of summer programs for kids, preferably jobs or sports. Stop firing teachers and cutting school funding; maybe kids won't be spend their summers running around in the streets potentially getting criminal records that will follow them in far into their futures.

and before someone says "they are kids, they know what their doing'' there is a reason we have a juvenile court system; or age of consent laws; or child labor laws; or any other laws that "protect our children"

Oh and the things you learn in school, the jobs that you get during the year, the clubs that you want to be a part of, the sports that you want to play are all factors in what you do with your summer. For instance, football players have 7 on 7 summer workouts what have you.
Great post.
glasses.gif

is that what you tell your future?

how are you gonna blame the kids man? the kids are the victims here....it's irresponsible adults like this guy who have failed the children and thats why he can allow himself to say something as demeaning to his own people.

Back
Top Bottom