∞True Detective Season 1 Thread ***CLOSED***∞

Yellow king
not so fast there buddy....

cosmos.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Does season 2 necessarily have to be the same 2-cop buddy format?

Anyways, knowing HBO they'll find a way to involve Margaret Schoreder or other Boardwalk castoffs since that series is ending
laugh.gif

Just killed this out between yesterday and tonight.. ******* amazed... When they showed Yellow King at the end of ep7, my jaw literally dropped... And as much as I wanted more out of the ending, it was perfect...

But honestly, my only thought during the entire hospital scenes was... How much herb do you think these guys smoked while filming this...

Does season 2 necessarily have to be the same 2-cop buddy format?

Anyways, knowing HBO they'll find a way to involve Margaret Schoreder or other Boardwalk castoffs since that series is ending :lol:

I would kill to see Van Alden in the next season.

Just finished rewatching episode 5 "The secret fate of all life" and I noticed something interesting.
Prob has nothing to do with anything, but that pharmacy killer that Rust got that confession from, that guy that ended up killing himself.

When Rust and Marty went back to look at the tape they asked for call logs and the files on the two police men that we're guarding him. One of the cops was named Childress.

:wow:

Last edited:
Just finished rewatching episode 5 "The secret fate of all life" and I noticed something interesting.
Prob has nothing to do with anything, but that pharmacy killer that Rust got that confession from, that guy that ended up killing himself.

When Rust and Marty went back to look at the tape they asked for call logs and the files on the two police men that we're guarding him. One of the cops was named Childress.

:wow:

yeah

everyone had that reaction
yet somehow that name managed to elude Rust and Marty

as i touched on before,
Rust had a hard on for finding connections of that family
he was far too meticulous to have overlooked that glaring detail ESPECIALLY after he specifically asks for the names of the corrections officers

whatever

I'm STILL upset at one thing.

Not explaing the root/orgins/why of the cult. But i guess it wasn't important

:lol: :rofl: When MIB ended that way it had me on some Truman Show/Matrix/Antz/It's A Bug's Life x to infinity and beyond :wow: levels

2 aliens playing marbles with universes

*insert sheeeeit gif*

I am pretty sure the Yellow King just meant the fact the crap on his face was yellowed

Nic stayed true the whole time and said it was a straight forward show; I won't even front like I didn't tear up at the end when it showed they really cared for each other and Rust accepted his daughter's death

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
Gonna try to read through the 100 or so posts I skipped but gonna reply here and there.  Excuse me if some of these have been addresed already.

Yellow King's a metaphor, just like Carcosa.  Both represent real places in the plays, books, mythology Errol has clearly read and absorbed but neither ACTUALLY exist.  He may consider himself the yellow king and his tunnels/wheat silo/whatever Carcosa, but it's more so what those ideas and images represent.

The abandonment of hope and sanity, and the being who rules over where that happens.  The one who drives that madness.  He Erroll (sp?) is that king.

They entered Carcosa once they found him and that fear started to set in.  Didn't matter where they were physically, Carcosa is more a state of being.  

P.S.  how incredible were the acoustics in those tunnels!!?

Pretty much sums up what some people might feel about it
laugh.gif
But see...I never cared about any of the theories except for the practical ones.

I don't really care who the Yellow King is. I care about simple stuff...like a lot of kids were raped and killed by several people over decades. I just wanted a bit more resolution on that is all. I wanted all of that investigation to be more than just a lot of names and faces that could've been simplified down a ton, since all that was really important were a couple last names we'd heard the entire series long. Ledoux, Tuttle, Childress. That's it.

Having so many elements, moments and images spirtually fit the theme is okay. It's making art out of it. I never really bought into the symbols everywhere and the whole "how is it all connected?!" thing. But I needed more out of his daughter basically foreshadowing what we saw on that tape. I didn't need a twist. I didn't need every step of it spelled out. I just wanted some gestures that'd say something is coming out of the excessive details and characters we got.

And the time. The way the finale played out, made it feel as though the time didn't really matter. There wasn't any particular reason why this murder mystery needed 17 years to tell. There was definitely reason why we needed to check in on Rust and Marty through these 3 points in time, but that air of "don't worry, it's not that big a deal" hangs over the case itself. They just threw a dart at a wall and said...how bout 2012 and we just go and get him.
But the thing is Marty and Rust were never going to take down all five men, especially if one of them was a U.S. senator.

Even in the practical sense that you speak of, a common detective isn't going to bust down a door and arrest politicians and wealthy business men.  Especially not when they didn't kow who those men even were going into the last 55 minutes of the season (might as well be series since this is a mini series.)

It's the same reason we knew there'd never be any thing coming of the theories about Audrey and Maggie's dad etc. There were 55 minutes left and no time to introduce and expand on that whole story line while still finding and chasing down and dispatching of Errol and giving Cole and Hart a satisfying closing.  There wasn't enough time. Let alone to investigate and find the men who have been covering up the same crimes for 30+ years? And do all that in 55 mins?

Hart said it himself, that's not the world, but they got the man they were after - the one who killed Dora Lange and hunted down those other children. We know they did their part in incriminating the senator et al because we heard about it. We have to trust that in the show's universe things carried on from there, we just won't get to see it or know what comes of it.

And it sucks and it's gonna drive us crazy if we keep stressing and wondering over it 
laugh.gif

I mean people kinda lost their **** coming up with all those nonsensical insane theories even BEFORE the finale aired ("THE YELLOW KING IS THE OWNER OF THE VIETNAMESE RESTAURANT!!!!")

Which I guess would make the last episode's ending the same as the final act of The King in Yellow where we all go mad.

Come to think of it...

331d4f78_weebay.gif

Errol had the Bose surround sound in those tunnels deep in the N.O.

Just upped his character stock in TV history even more

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom