⚽️The Footy Thread: Lock Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

5f2e145ae71213c745633d7247b8f2ec.jpg

Very interesting article form the EPL website some intersting and I think telling numbers a stat that can actually tell more of the story
Sequencing unmasking true creative forces
On this basis, the table below shows the players in the Premier League this season who have been involved in the most sequences to have ended in a shot. Not surprisingly, given the nature of football, the vast majority of them are creative midfielders or strikers, but there are a few surprising names in the list.

One way to understand which players are making the key contributions to a team’s output is through sequencing, the latest analytical model from Opta.

Sequencing, which is ended by defensive actions, stoppages in play, or a shot, can also shine a light on the different styles of play teams are adopting in their search for success.

It also allows us to identify for the first time players who are consistently involved in progressive play, whether or not they end up with a goal or an assist.

On this basis, the table below shows the players in the Premier League this season who have been involved in the most sequences to have ended in a shot. Not surprisingly, given the nature of football, the vast majority of them are creative midfielders or strikers, but there are a few surprising names in the list.

Most involvement in sequences ending in a shot
Player
Involvements
David Silva
Christian Eriksen 51
Oriol Romeu 48
Kevin De Bruyne 47
Nathan Redmond 47
Sergio Aguero 46
Harry Kane 45
Mohamed Salah 44
Henrikh Mkhitaryan 44
Romelu Lukaku 43

Most involvement in sequences ending in a goal
Player
Involvements
Sergio Aguero
Kevin De Bruyne 11
Kyle Walker 9
David Silva 8
Romelu Lukaku 8
Alvaro Morata 8
Danilo 8
Harry Kane 7
Fernandinho 7
Nicolas Otamendi 7
Nemanja Matic 7
Sequence data also enables analysis of a team’s style of play using two variables: the average speed of each sequence’s progression upfield (in layman’s terms, how quickly does a team attack?), and the average number of passes in a sequence (how intricate is a team?).

These two factors are not interdependent; you can have both slow and fast teams who pass quite a lot and slow and fast teams who get the ball up the pitch more quickly.

The top four teams for passes per sequence this season are Man City (5.10 passes), Arsenal (4.37) and Manchester United and Spurs (both 3.89).

Of those four, only Arsenal are in the top 10 for speed of progression, making Arsene Wenger’s team the fastest and most intricate side in the League.
GW7GW8_PassesVsSpeed_v3.png

https://www.premierleague.com/news/489392

Bruce #)%*%ing Arena. Is there anyone in here who thought that was a good idea?

What a terrible year for the United States.

Bruce #)%*%ing Arena. Is there anyone in here who thought that was a good idea?

What a terrible year for the United States.

I facepalmed when I first heard he was Jurgens replacement. You don't fire someone who brought on some form of stability + respectability unless you've got an upgrade in the works,especially not for a retread.

Dudes took a few steps back from where they were just a few years back with their decisions lately

Like I've said before, in America soccer is a rich mans sport.

The perception has been built due to the unfamiliarity with the sport. So most kids are gonna turn away from it, and the kids that should be playing get squeezed out due to this perception and these country club fees and all that other nonsense. The amount of times I've seen little kids in BK, Harlem and the BX playing and really actually working on their skills yet you know they are never gonna get a chance to actually play meaningful games or tourneys is wack as hell.

Give these young inner city cats a chance, they are out here.

Yea I don't understand how Footy in the states became like Hockey over here when it's by far the most easily accessible sport in the world along with Basketball. You legit just need a ball to play yet it's become gentrified somehow to the point where the lifeblood of the USMNT youth programs seems to be suburban kids.

The vast amount of immigrants in the country from traditional footy powers or countries where footy is king should produce no shortage of talent one would think in a country of 300m+...

The vast amount of immigrants in the country from traditional footy powers or countries where footy is king should produce no shortage of talent one would think in a country of 300m+...

Sons of immigrants assimilate and would rather play football, baseball, basketball, etc.

The perception of the sport in this country needs to change.

Do as much strengthening stuff for your legs (specifically the injured one) before your surgery. itll greatly shorten the recovery time. lots of stability stuff, squats, band work, etc. Doing all this will make the muscles stronger and be less weak when surgery is done and you'll be able to get moving sooner rather than later cause your muscles won't be as weak after the surgery. Once the swelling is gone and you can do stuff get on it asap. You can do any type of workouts including squats and straight legged deadlifts. Just no running or lateral movements.

Yeah I'll be on it. Unfortunately, this has happened to me before and that's exactly what I did last time and it made a huge difference. Very little to no muscle loss after surgery and I was back within 7-8 months. Thanks!

Sons of immigrants assimilate and would rather play football, baseball, basketball, etc.

The perception of the sport in this country needs to change.
maybe in some areas...but not in Los Angeles and all across CA
footy is a stronghold in these areas, maybe cause of the year round weather...?

Yea I don't understand how Footy in the states became like Hockey over here when it's by far the most easily accessible sport in the world along with Basketball. You legit just need a ball to play yet it's become gentrified somehow to the point where the lifeblood of the USMNT youth programs seems to be suburban kids.

Fret not, my children will be leading team usa to the finals in another 17 years or so.

maybe in some areas...but not in Los Angeles and all across CA
footy is a stronghold in these areas, maybe cause of the year round weather...?

This may be true for areas like LA and Miami where the immigrant communities are tight-knit and we can better preserve our culture, but what about the rest of the country?

This may be true for areas like LA and Miami where the immigrant communities are tight-knit and we can better preserve our culture, but what about the rest of the country?
the rest of the country is still living 20 years behind major metropolitan cities in terms of embracing different cultures.
but aside from that, you hit it right on the head where kids are much more drawn to "good ol" football and baseball

I was always under the assumption that Oregon and Washington St. are doing good developing based on the support their teams gets. Atlanta seems to be starting off at the right foot as well

i been telling yall for years that the usmnt is trash, maybe some people that make things happen with that team will finally get a clue about running that sunken ship

Money.

It wasn't pumped into footy.

It's the exact same reason South Africa is absolute trash at footy. The money is pumped into rugby and cricket. The only way you'll get a country to be consistent performers on the international and club level is by pumping money into the sport from a grassroots level.

For all of ya'll back stateside who are still devastated....I'm blowing my vuvuzela on low in solidarity....

USSF = 0 culture and 0 personality. Top down is bland as ****.

I've been following this story because I want us to be great. I haven't gotten behind the team or the MLS though because of exactly what we saw last night.

Got other countries with footy in their blood, in the way they move, and the intelligent movements they make. Our entire country has produced literally just one of those people.

Up until now, playing in the CONCACAF and going through its easy qualifiers has masked the issues with the USMNT

that wasn't a ball boy, that was a sub warming up lmaooo. I wonder if he gets a minor punishment from FIFA for that :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom