🦉The Official Drake Thread6️⃣ - Scary Hours 3 11.17.23

Show me an album with only the main artist as the only writing credit

Producer, engineers and whoever get sampled has credits

Hush does neither and we know all he does is write. This has been explained to you numerous times in this thread

Last edited:
The problem isnt that drake has writers
The problem is ya'll acting like everyone else does not

Drizzy/Future concert tomorrow 
nthat.gif

When Fire & Desire comes on...

Producer, engineers and whoever get sampled has credits

Hush does neither and we know all he does is write. This has been explained to you numerous times in this thread

My dude, if you always chillin with some and they in the studio with you, any idea small or large they give you, they're owed royalties. Idc if it's one word, one line etc. Legally they get a writers credit, orrr they can take you to court over it.

The problem isnt that drake has writers
The problem is ya'll acting like everyone else does not
Or the problem is you don't like the idea of that potentially being a "negative" thing on Drake's record, so you insinuate that "everyone" else does it too.

As if we're having this same conversation about "everyone else" based on TANGIBLE evidence out there for everybody to see.

If this was something everyone does...then why are talking about this? Why is it news when another reference track hits the web? Why has Kendrick and Push taken shots at "rappers" having writers if they too also do it?

The very topic of "ghostwriting" in Hip Hop has ALWAYS been taboo. Stop acting like it's commonplace and that it's well known that "everybody" does it. That's a lie.

There are plenty if you take out features, samples and producers but you knew that already and are trying to lump the aforementioned categories of credits with Drake's writers :lol:

Bro...you know damn well that's not only thing ppl have used as examples of Drake utilizing writers. We have REFERENCE tracks. For songs where the writers are credited...and the ones where they aren't. Quentin Miller is NOT credited on RICO...yet there's a reference track. We have FULL PND reference tracks where a large majority of the lyrics weren't changed or altered at all. His former right hand man (Nickelus F.) is on record saying he penned verses for Drake. His current artists are on record explaining details of the creative process. The "tent crew" jokes didn't originate from "haters"...that **** came straight from Majid Jordan verbatim.

Again, i'm on record as saying I PERSONALLY have no problem with it. It is what it is. Drake is certainly not the first. But the outright denial by ppl that this is actually happening is absolutely mind-blowing to me? At this point...what more do you need to see for you to just admit that Drake has writers and it is what it is? 

How do you correlate reference tracks with full songs being written and given to him?

I legit want to know this cause reference tracks don't prove a song was done before Drake got on it. He works with different musicians when creating an album and yes writers included but we know this happens with other rappers. Once again anyone that supports Drake's side of the story never denied he got help from QM.

post-33537-Jim-Carrey-Truman-Show-gif-wha-cIrC.gif

Bro...you know damn well that's not only thing ppl have used as examples of Drake utilizing writers. We have REFERENCE tracks. For songs where the writers are credited...and the ones where they aren't. Quentin Miller is NOT credited on RICO...yet there's a reference track. We have FULL PND reference tracks where a large majority of the lyrics weren't changed or altered at all. His former right hand man (Nickelus F.) is on record saying he penned verses for Drake. His current artists are on record explaining details of the creative process. The "tent crew" jokes didn't originate from "haters"...that **** came straight from Majid Jordan verbatim.

Again, i'm personally on record as saying I PERSONALLY have no problem with it. It is what it is. Drake is certainly not the first. But the outright denial by ppl that this is actually happening is absolutely mind-blowing to me? At this point...what more do you need to see for you to just admit that Drake has writers and it is what it is? 
"We Have REFERENCE tracks" 
- What does that mean man. You know what reference tracks are? Everyone has them. Doesn't mean you aren't writing your raps. All that means is that people are hired to give you a guide to how the verse should go. And if we keeping it a buck, Drake could have wrote a verse, QM could have wrote a verse, and drake chose QM's reference because it was better. But you didn't hear Drake's OG reference track so you automatically assume Drake wrote it. Again, realize what a reference track is.
"Full PND reference tracks were a large majority of the lyrics weren't changed or altered at all"
- Oh word? Where's those at. Because the references I heard have Drake taking some lines, like full on verses. 
"Nickelus F is on record saying he penned verses for drake"
- Correction. Nickelus F is on record saying he penned one verse for Drake. He also said he doesn't "write for" drake. Let's not Omit that part either. 
His current artists are on record explaining details of the creative process. The "tent crew" jokes didn't originate from "haters"...that **** came straight from Majid Jordan verbatim.
That creative process happens with everyone making albums. Chance just said he approached Chance 3 the same way. It doesn't mean they are writing FOR you. It means they are writing WITH you. It's a huge difference, and a difference that applies to almost every rapper in the game today. 

We can all agree there are a special set of rules for Drake. Wrap this discussion up.

Show me.
You deleted the part where I clearly said Drake's leaked so here we are.

But, one of my close friends who I hoop with every saturday for years is Swiff D. He has production placements all over the place, really tight with TDE and is really close with No I.D. Because of that relationship, he's been in many of J. Cole and Kendrick's recording sessions and has told me that the **** looks like a science lab with the amount of people in there working on beats, working on hooks, working on raps, etc. It's like a "Tent", the same "tent" y'al kill Drake about. 

It's really common place man. Reference tracks and writer's credits don't mean people are writing FOR you.

My dude, if you always chillin with some and they in the studio with you, any idea small or large they give you, they're owed royalties. Idc if it's one word, one line etc. Legally they get a writers credit, orrr they can take you to court over it.
you talking to a brick wall ...

- What does that mean man. You know what reference tracks are? Everyone has them. Doesn't mean you aren't writing your raps. All that means is that people are hired to give you a guide to how the verse should go. And if we keeping it a buck, Drake could have wrote a verse, QM could have wrote a verse, and drake chose QM's reference because it was better. But you didn't hear Drake's OG reference track so you automatically assume Drake wrote it. Again, realize what a reference track is.

- Oh word? Where's those at. Because the references I heard have Drake taking some lines, like full on verses. 

- Correction. Nickelus F is on record saying he penned one verse for Drake. He also said he doesn't "write for" drake. Let's not Omit that part either. 

That creative process happens with everyone making albums. Chance just said he approached Chance 3 the same way. It doesn't mean they are writing FOR you. It means they are writing WITH you. It's a huge difference, and a difference that applies to almost every rapper in the game today. 
roll.gif
 why would Drake make a reference track FOR HIMSELF? 

By definition a reference track is something made FOR SOMEBODY ELSE. 
Well....it's potentially a lot more than an outline. If you're songwriting for someone, you record the song yourself and send it like, "Here, this is how I picture it sounding," maybe right down to different intonations or phrasings or ad-libs. And then if the artist decides to record that song they "reference" the original version, decide how much of that original they want to change or do their own way.

So the final version could end up sounding almost exactly like the reference version only with a different singer, or it could end up pretty different. Case by case basis.

Lucas [1:14 PM]

Is it different than songwriting?

Nathanslavik [1:16 PM]
No, it's the exact same thing, a reference track is how a songwriter shares their songwriting. Like, if you write a song for someone, what then? You email them the sheet music? You need to let them hear the song you wrote, so you have to record a "reference" version to send. Sometimes that might just be a piano or guitar and the songwriter singing, something stripped down, maybe not even verses, just the hook. Or they could almost literally record the song in full for the reference, bring in strings, multi-instruments, etc. Like PND could have gotten a female singer who sounds like Rihanna to do that reference so it'd be easier for Rihanna to hear herself singing it (and therefore maybe more likely for her to want to record it), that happens all the time.
As for your question...I wouldn’t necessarily say it’s only for “when someone isn’t in the studio” with an artist because an artist isn’t likely to get  in the studio with a songwriter unless they’ve already heard a reference track they like.
You keep tossing out this idea that EVERYONE does this...but you have YET to provide any examples. 
You deleted the part where I clearly said Drake's leaked so here we are.

But, one of my close friends who I hoop with every saturday for years is Swiff D. He has production placements all over the place, really tight with TDE and is really close with No I.D. Because of that relationship, he's been in many of J. Cole and Kendrick's recording sessions and has told me that the **** looks like a science lab with the amount of people in there working on beats, working on hooks, working on raps, etc. It's like a "Tent", the same "tent" y'al kill Drake about. 

It's really common place man. Reference tracks and writer's credits don't mean people are writing FOR you.
Now you come with the hearsay information. I don't think you the most reliable when it comes to that.

Cause you also said you knew for a fact Drake penned 100% of his verses. You proved yourself to be a liar then. 

Last edited:

roll.gif
 why would Drake make a reference track FOR HIMSELF? 
Yeah I see where we at with this.

Artist make reference records for themselves ALL THE TIME. You think the first time they lay down a record it's a finished product? 
roll.gif

Do you not know what a REFERENCE track is? 

Every rapper in the industry has reference records that they've recorded for themselves. How is that even funny 
laugh.gif

And I just told you a first hand account of people who've been in these studio sessions and saw it for himself. I haven't, (Hope to someday though) but that's more than enough proof for me, to go along with common sense 
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom