🦉The Official Drake Thread6️⃣ - Scary Hours 3 11.17.23

Summer Sixteen pop up shop in LA tommorow

Drizzy and Future hitting Cali this upcoming week. Oakland gonna be lit but guess who's working those nights. Feels bad man :smh:

Was reading Weeknd's VMAN feature today and it got me thinking about him being a superstar and how everyone says Drake took an L by not signing him when he lowkey didn't.
1) There was no label to sign to at the time

2) Drake and Lil Wayne both get a percentage of what the Weeknd does via his deal with Republic. A lot of people don't know this, but the OG source of their beef was that Weeknd didn't put down Drake as his cosigner on his deal, which caused a rift between Drake / Weeknd and Republic. To settle it (sort of), Republic structured Weeknd's deal where Drake and Lil wayne got a small percentage of everything Weeknd does. 

Last edited:
Was reading Weeknd's VMAN feature today and it got me thinking about him being a superstar and how everyone says Drake took an L by not signing him when he lowkey didn't.
1) There was no label to sign to at the time

2) Drake and Lil Wayne both get a percentage of what the Weeknd does via his deal with Republic. A lot of people don't know this, but the OG source of their beef was that Weeknd didn't put down Drake as his cosigner on his deal, which caused a rift between Drake / Weeknd and Republic. To settle it (sort of), Republic structured Weeknd's deal where Drake and Lil wayne got a small percentage of everything Weeknd does. 

Nobody said Drake took an L by Weeknd not signing to Drake.

Its the reverse music fans are happy Weeknd didn't because he'd be PND right now.

Nobody said Drake took an L by Weeknd not signing to Drake.

Its the reverse music fans are happy Weeknd didn't because he'd be PND right now.
Ehhh, I mean I've heard that one of Drake's few L's was not signing Weeknd, but yeah.

And I mean it's not like PND is in a bad position either 
laugh.gif

It's not an L, but I'm sure Drake wishes The Weeknd was OVO. The Celtics didn't take an L signing Al Horford, but I'm sure missing out on KD hurt.

It's not an L, but I'm sure Drake wishes The Weeknd was OVO. The Celtics didn't take an L signing Al Horford, but I'm sure missing out on KD hurt.

Nah Drake never really cared about signing Weeknd. I knew he wasn't going to sign to Drake to begin with. He didn't need the cosign.

Nah Drake never really cared about signing Weeknd. I knew he wasn't going to sign to Drake to begin with. He didn't need the cosign.

How the **** YOU gonna say what Drake cared about as if you had any inside knowledge? :lol:

The facts are that Drake used his influence/position in an unparalleled way to help boost The Weeknd's career. He also basically let The Weeknd/Doc/Ill/XO handle all of Take Care from writing/production/videos.

If you think that he didn't want him signed, then idk what to tell you.

There's a reason why they've had one old collab drop (Live For) and have been trading subliminals on record and in interviews since he signed to Republic.

Drake obviously saw the generational talent in The Weeknd, he said it himself that he wanted him signed but they just had to figure out the details.

He don't do **** for lower tier artists unless there is a win in it for him.

Last edited:
Fam...ain't no reasoning with any of the big 3 in here. You can come with the most sound logic possible...it won't matter

I thought drake put him on. I only heard of the weekend because of that song on drakes cd awhile ago. Figured he was rolling with drake

Drake is undoubtedly how The Weeknd was introduced to the world. Oliver posted a couple of songs from HOB on the OVO blog and that's how everything began.

How the **** YOU gonna say what Drake cared about as if you had any inside knowledge? :lol:

The facts are that Drake used his influence/position in an unparalleled way to help boost The Weeknd's career. He also basically let The Weeknd/Doc/Ill/XO handle all of Take Care from writing/production/videos.

If you think that he didn't want him signed, then idk what to tell you.

There's a reason why they've had one old collab drop (Live For) and have been trading subliminals on record and in interviews since he signed to Republic.

Drake obviously saw the generational talent in The Weeknd, he said it himself that he wanted him signed but they just had to figure out the details.

He don't do **** for lower tier artists unless there is a win in it for him.

I'm not denying he wanted to sign Abel but he wasn't dying for it either. After he got he wanted from Take Care he was like whatever. He never really spoke on this so you cant say he really wanted him on OVO either. Drake knew he could fill that label with great talent other than Weeknd.

Last edited:
I'm not denying he wanted to sign Abel but he wasn't dying for it either. After he got he wanted from Take Care he was like whatever. He never really spoke on this so you cant say he really wanted him on OVO either. Drake knew he could fill that label with great talent other than Weeknd. Hence why he signed PND a year after Abel signed to Republic.

Sometimes it's okay to be wrong just let this one go. Lol

Smh at people really thinking drake didn't what a piece of the million$ that the weeknd is bringin in right now. What head of a label wouldn't want a top selling artist? Especially one they brought into the game.

I'm not denying he wanted to sign Abel but he wasn't dying for it either. After he got he wanted from Take Care he was like whatever. He never really spoke on this so you cant say he really wanted him on OVO either. Drake knew he could fill that label with great talent other than Weeknd.

You sound crazy b.

"After he got what he wanted from Take Care, he was like whatever" :lol: :lol: :lol:

He said he wanted to sign The Weeknd in an interview for MTV around the Take Care era, so that's wrong.

Could fill the label with great talent besides The Weeknd?

Yes PND, DVSN and Majid are very talented, The Weeknd is bigger than all of them put together and will continue to be, it's not comparable.

You obviously just trying defend Drake by any means but you gotta be objective.

“As far as on paper, it’s all being worked out, but that’s not really what counts anyway. What counts to me is the fact that the affiliation is so known, and that’s all I really care about. I want to continue being involved in his career and vice versa and keep making music together, because you take songs like ’Crew Love’ and ’The Zone,’ that’s what people wait all night to hear,” [Drake] said. “We’re definitely a family,” he added. “It’s definitely a Toronto thing. That’s not changing at all.”

Verbatim from Drake.

But na...he didn't care

roll.gif

Drake absolutely cared and wanted to Sign Weeknd it's beyond crazy to suggest otherwise.

It's why **** between them got so ugly and personal when he completely ditched them and left them out of his deal. 

Back
Top Bottom