🦉The Official Drake Thread6️⃣ - Scary Hours 3 11.17.23

mean.gif

That's why I stopped going in the Kanye thread. 

and dont ask me ANYTHING about production... im a producer. i guarantee ive forgotten more than u think you know. i said he brought sampling to the mainstream.

:lol:

Bruh... Rza was sampling on every Wu-Tang album and they were as big as anything in Hip Hop. And damn every Bad Boy hit from the 90's had a sample in it.

laugh.gif

Bruh... Rza was sampling on every Wu-Tang album and they were as big as anything in Hip Hop. And damn every Bad Boy hit from the 90's had a sample in it.
you're kinda dense aren't you. do you think i can go to a random college campus and say, "what do you think about 'Rizza's' production on liquid swords?"  like i said, thats CONSIDERED underground. bad boy hits had some samples in it, but that doesnt mean they made it a mainstay in the public eye. you're really not grasping this mainstream concept. for instance, drake made yolo popular. drake did not come up with yolo tho. does that mean that damien from fubu/shark tank made yolo mainstream? NO HE DIDNT. why do the vast majority of people know yolo? drake.

why do the vast majority of people know about sampling? kanye. not dj primo, not danjahandz, not rza, not toomp, not dre, not alchemist, not 9th or any of the other sampling legends. kanye. 

you're kinda dense aren't you. do you think i can go to a random college campus and say, "what do you think about 'Rizza's' production on liquid swords?"  like i said, thats CONSIDERED underground. bad boy hits had some samples in it, but that doesnt mean they made it a mainstay in the public eye. you're really not grasping this mainstream concept. for instance, drake made yolo popular. drake did not come up with yolo tho. does that mean that damien from fubu/shark tank made yolo mainstream? NO HE DIDNT. why do the vast majority of people know yolo? drake.

why do the vast majority of people know about sampling? kanye. not dj primo, not danjahandz, not rza, not toomp, not dre, not alchemist, not 9th or any of the other sampling legends. kanye. 

Because it's 2015 not 1997. Go to a college campus then and see if they don't know about RZA's production. Most new Kanye fans these days can't tell you **** about songs on CD that aren't All Falls Down, Jesus Walks, or Through the Wire

The Kanye thread is golden. Some great quotes in there.

Either way, if it's a misunderstanding or not. You can't say Kanye brought sampling to mainstream, made it popular or whatever it is you're trying to say. Mad producers been doing since the beginning of rap. Most of the biggest hits in the early 90s were samples. To make it worse, Kanye only uses samples. Doesn't create beats on his own.

This song "Energy" is mad nice. Just straight rapping, nice flow. The more I listen to this album, the harder it is to get through it.

Just gotta roll the windows down and turn the speakers up when the beat drops on "Know Yourself".

Drake is real nice with the wordplay, not quite on King Kendrick or Cole's level, but those 3 dude's are all sharing the crown right now as far as I'm concerned. I'm just enjoying the music.

Because it's 2015 not 1997. Go to a college campus then and see if they don't know about RZA's production. Most new Kanye fans these days can't tell you **** about songs on CD that aren't All Falls Down, Jesus Walks, or Through the Wire
youre right, it IS 2015. so when we talk about whats mainstream...do we mention whats mainstream from the 90s or now? Oh, ok. got it.

Also, you cant be serious. I just named imo the hot songs from CD just a few posts ago and everyone knew exactly what songs i was talking about and could probably hear them in their head just by reading the names. cut that out. kanye IS mainstream. he is literally the biggest rapper in the industry worldwide. what do u mean that they only know 3 songs from his first album? AND EVEN IF THAT WERE TRUE, id bet a years salary the average hiphop fan knows less than 3 songs on ANY oldschool hiphop album... including wu-tang. 

if you go to a college campus and ask the average rap fan "WHO IS RIZZA?" 10 times out of 11 they wont know who that is. Then you reply "R-Z-A?" and 2 of 11 will say "oh i think ive heard of that guy" cut it out. If i ask who primo is, they'll say "thats cousin in spanish. duh." yall trippin.

these are dudes i looked up to when i started. but to say they and their production is well known outside of the core hiphop community is foolish.
The Kanye thread is golden. Some great quotes in there.

Either way, if it's a misunderstanding or not. You can't say Kanye brought sampling to mainstream, made it popular or whatever it is you're trying to say. Mad producers been doing since the beginning of rap. Most of the biggest hits in the early 90s were samples. To make it worse, Kanye only uses samples. Doesn't create beats on his own.

This song "Energy" is mad nice. Just straight rapping, nice flow. The more I listen to this album, the harder it is to get through it.
back on topic. i just hope drakes album smashes this. when i heard he was putting out another mixtape, i expected some bangers fit for the gym. i didnt really get that. heres hoping that between him, kendricks album, and wayne supposed next mixtape dropping...some bangers come out.

Last edited:

HAHAHAHAHA! Kanye stans say the wildest things. You do realize Hip-Hop has been based on mainstream sampling since it started. 
laugh.gif

Not to mention son just skipped over Wu-Tang's era and Bad Boys era which wasn't that long ago.
First off Wu-Tang was mainstream, but whatever that's an irrelevant point. Every mainstream hit in the 80's and 90's that was a hip hop song was a sample. PERIOD. I mean "Ice, Ice, Baby", "You Can't Touch This", hell Hip-Hop's first mainstream hit was basically a cover of a then time disco song ("Rapper's Delight"). I'll give Kanye only one credit for sampling in that he's one of the few who can still pay for full length samples. That's why people like Primo had to get creative because they couldn't afford to pay those prices and so they got creative in chopping up stuff. But in reality Kanye ain't nothing but the new age Bomb Squad when it comes to sampling. Those dudes were sample masters and made some of the greatest beats of all time. And please don't write back and tell me PE wasn't mainstream when they were going platinum in a time in Hip-Hop when the only platinum artists where Vanilla Ice, Hammer and Beasties. Kanye was not the first to make sampling mainstream, not even close.

What has cole said that That THAT nice on his last two projects? I be wondering..Kendrick I can see tho
Yeah I don't get his appeal. He's instantly forgettable. I can't think of one of his albums I've listened to more than twice. And that's not to stay he's not a good lyricist, because he can rap, he just has nothing exciting about him.

Check the user name. Check the act. Huge drake fan.

But lemme say quickly that Lupe made a comeback and J cole went in.

Tetsuo>FHD>this mixtape

Though dude hit it on the dot when he said this album will be replayed more than FHD in the long run.

500k in 4 days :smokin

Drake’s fourth solo LP Views From the 6 doesn’t arrive until later this year, but the surprise If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late mixtape has the Toronto rapper dominating the charts once again.

Continue after the jump……

The Canadian rapper caught the music industry by storm last Thursday with the drop of his new project, If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late. The mixtape, which released digitally on iTunes, will come in at No. 1 on Billboard’s album charts on Wednesday. According to Hits Daily Double, the 17-track collection featuring Lil’ Wayne, Travi$ Scott, and PARTYNEXTDOOR sold an estimated 497,602 copies opening week (541,585 total with streams).

It becomes Drake’s fourth consecutive No. 1 album and the highest-selling sales week of 2015. Dating back to last year, If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late‘s big opening week is only behind Taylor Swift’s 1989 LP, which sold 1.287 million copies in November 2014, with a full sales week compared to IYRTITL‘s short four days of sales.

In that short span of four days, Drake’s new project also set record-breaking mark on Spotify. Fans streamed the mixtape 17.3 million times in three days, breaking the previous record which was also held by Drake, 2013’s Nothing Was the Same‘s 15.8 million streams its first week. It also set the record for most streams in a single day for an album in the U.S. with 6.8 million streams on Saturday.

Congrats to Drake and the October’s Very Own collective.

Last edited:
This is the best way to drop music if you're a big name artist. You don't spend any money on promo. It spreads like fire through social media, download links are hard to find in the first few hours so people are so eager to be apart of the hype that they'll buy it. They'll buy it to participate in discussions online or in person or they just want to be part of this moment.

tekthemaestro tekthemaestro I was following Kanye's beats back in 00-01. Followed him for awhile up until probably 09-10. Over 95% of his beats use samples, I don't follow him enough now but I can't see more than 5 of his beats not having samples. On top of that, he has so many writers and producers on his team.

500k in a weekend is insane man. Still waiting on word of a physical copy but I doubt it happens

This is the best way to drop music if you're a big name artist. You don't spend any money on promo. It spreads like fire through social media, download links are hard to find in the first few hours so people are so eager to be apart of the hype that they'll buy it. They'll buy it to participate in discussions online or in person or they just want to be part of this moment.

@TEKtheMAESTRO I was following Kanye's beats back in 00-01. Followed him for awhile up until probably 09-10. Over 95% of his beats use samples, I don't follow him enough now but I can't see more than 5 of his beats not having samples. On top of that, he has so many writers and producers on his team.
someone who gets it. the business behind these beyonce drops are genius. people spending money just to talk about it first, knowing they could wait an hour or two and download it like everything else. 

and yea u havent followed him in a LONG time man. he stills samples a lot, but nowhere near the amount from back then. but that was his steez then too. hes evolved/changed. i dont necessarily like where hes at now, but hes definitely changed.

500k in a weekend is insane man. Still waiting on word of a physical copy but I doubt it happens
physical copies will eat into profits because of money going out for distribution. if he does it, itd be because he'd think the new sales of a physical cd outweight the money spent pressing and getting them out there. why pay 15% (made up percentage for how much it costs to press cd, make up the packaging, have it shipped to retailers) when u can leave it on itunes for 5%?

First off Wu-Tang was mainstream, but whatever that's an irrelevant point. Every mainstream hit in the 80's and 90's that was a hip hop song was a sample. PERIOD. I mean "Ice, Ice, Baby", "You Can't Touch This", hell Hip-Hop's first mainstream hit was basically a cover of a then time disco song ("Rapper's Delight"). I'll give Kanye only one credit for sampling in that he's one of the few who can still pay for full length samples. That's why people like Primo had to get creative because they couldn't afford to pay those prices and so they got creative in chopping up stuff. But in reality Kanye ain't nothing but the new age Bomb Squad when it comes to sampling. Those dudes were sample masters and made some of the greatest beats of all time. And please don't write back and tell me PE wasn't mainstream when they were going platinum in a time in Hip-Hop when the only platinum artists where Vanilla Ice, Hammer and Beasties. Kanye was not the first to make sampling mainstream, not even close.
Originally Posted by TEKtheMAESTRO  

reading cant be that hard. and how can u say im a kanye stan when just a few posts up i talk about how kanye is washed? smh

and dont ask me ANYTHING about production... im a producer. i guarantee ive forgotten more than u think you know. i said he brought sampling to the mainstream. Of course theres the DJ Premiers, 9th wonders, Dillas, etc etc. None of them are mainstream. Thats all known as boom bap, underground, etc etc. MAINSTREAM. as in, turn on the radio and hear this. As in, mention jesus walks at a snowcone convention and they know what it is. MAINSTREAM. wth is built on mainstream sampling? whats mainstream sampling? bad boys werent sampling like kanye was wth? 

matter of fact. ill stop. enough derailment. kanye has modernized sampling and made it a mainstay IN mainstream music. he didn't come first, he wont be last. he made it mainstream. period. people aren't cutting samples the way they do today saying man im definitely channelling my inner-madlib, im getting my RZA on!
i swear yall dont even read. tisa hats got put on by big sean. had everybody rocking tisa hats. big sean was not the first artist to rock a tisa hat. but he still made them mainstream.

people said yolo before drake. but drake made it a household word.

people used 808s and had hits with them before miami bass came around. but miami bass made it mainstream.

people used that "supa dupa"/hashtag big sean flow before... but big sean made it mainstream

people used triplet rap since rap started, migos made it mainstream

people used horn triads in beats for a decade, lex luger made it mainstream

dj toomp used that snare before polow da don used that snare, trap beats/young chop made the snare mainstream.

people wore pink polo's before kanye and cam. kanye and cam made it mainstream.

do u not get this?

Last edited:

But Wu-Tang was mainstream though so you don't make sense.
rza is not. and we're talking about sampling. wu-tang does not=sampling. everyone knows what a sample is now. everyone samples now not cuz of rza or the older legends. they sample because kanye put them on. in this age where EVERYONE thinks they can make beats and EVERYONE thinks theyre a rapper...people look at KANYE as a blueprint. not rza. not primo. not anyone else. 

having something be popular doesnt make it mainstream. in love with the coco is popular. but its still not mainstream. wutang had hits using samples. samples didnt go mainstream because of it. everyone didnt start modeling their beats after wutang. producers aint hop out the wood work like yo...sampling is where its at. thats what kanye did. there were many GREATS before kanye when it came to sampling. but kanye innovated, and brought sampling to where it is today. and people model their sampling after YE. yall really having a hard time understanding what it means for something to be mainstream.

switch out the word mainstream for "a household-name"  and maybe youll understand. cuz i think yall switching it out for popular at the time.

Last edited:
Did dude just say kanye put people on to sampling :rofl:
Kanye stand are something else man
So damn delusional
Kanye should just run for president he would probably win with the crazy *** fans he got

Did dude just say kanye put people on to sampling
roll.gif

Kanye stand are something else man
So damn delusional
Kanye should just run for president he would probably win with the crazy *** fans he got
unreal. everyone who says anything positive about kanye is a stan. ive said twice now on THIS page that kanye is washed up. insane. im deading this convo, cuz ironically yall only making urselves look stupid. just like cat who thought mural was a person.

back to drake/regularly scheduled programming.

Just realized in Know Yourself he says "running through the six with my wolves" not "whoas" Wolf references everywhere now.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom