2007 NT Boxing Post: Thanks For A Great Year/ Please Lock

I dont see how its hard to imagine him being top 5. He makes his fights look so easy. He's beat everyone that he can fight besides cotto. You guys act like there is an abundance of GOOD fighters in his weightclass.
ok to go with your thoughts,
imagine Ray Leonard, Duran, hearns and Hagler all fighting in the same Era and not fighting each other.
Thats the difference, there is very competent talent and challenges out there for Floyd (cintron, Cotto, Margarita, Williams, and Mosely) U, me hell, we allmay feel like he can bea all those guys but there's somethin to be said for going out and doing it.
Sweet Pea had De La hoya and Ceaser Chavez, and yet all 3 somehow someway fought eachother. that is how you judge greatness.

ALi fought everyone
Leonard fought everyone
Hearns fought everyone

etc...

we cant say the same for Floyd,

He is a joy to watch but he hasnt demonstrated a willingness to strap em up with any and everybody

Because I think his defense is Top 5 IMO
No doubt he's top 3 defensive fighter ever

Sweet Pea
Pepp
Floyd

I dont think there's much too dispute over that

I cant realistically include Floyd in my top 5. He's in the mix as far as top 20
laugh.gif
I bet most couldn't name 20 boxers so its no shockthat he's in someones top 5.

ohwell.gif
But I must say that alot have come and gone...alot.

because by watching Mayweather and his abilities, he's not better than Robinson, Whitaker, Leonard, Hagler, Louis, Ali, Marciano, etc...

he has never shown a lot of punching power, is not really a good combination puncher (u saw the potshoting in rds 1-4 and the whole fight vs. De La Hoya), andlongevity has to be taken into consideration too...I don't think u can say he's a top 5 wen he only fought till he was 30...skill wise, defense wise,he's great...u really can't say more than that at this point, and that has nothing to do with not facing Cotto and others in the division, but justbased off his previous performances...

I think Whitaker in his prime is a better welterweight than Mayweather...

I think Whitaker in his prime is a better welterweight than Mayweather...
definitely, in his prime, from the videos i've grown up on, nobody was touchin pernell during his prime, dude would almost never get hitclean. Just watching pernell would make my mouth drop, he was just that good

1. Hearns
2. Bret Hart

3. Ricky Hatton
roll.gif
pimp.gif

plus he was tough and could punch inside or outside with combinations^

i wasn't really impressed with Mayweather's inside work yesterday, which is why some of the analysts gave a few rds to hatton, he just looked akwardand didnt start to dominate till he moved around the ring to control distance

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

I dont see how its hard to imagine him being top 5. He makes his fights look so easy. He's beat everyone that he can fight besides cotto. You guys act like there is an abundance of GOOD fighters in his weightclass.
ok to go with your thoughts,
imagine Ray Leonard, Duran, hearns and Hagler all fighting in the same Era and not fighting each other.
Thats the difference, there is very competent talent and challenges out there for Floyd (cintron, Cotto, Margarita, Williams, and Mosely) U, me hell, we all may feel like he can bea all those guys but there's somethin to be said for going out and doing it.
Sweet Pea had De La hoya and Ceaser Chavez, and yet all 3 somehow someway fought eachother. that is how you judge greatness.

ALi fought everyone
Leonard fought everyone
Hearns fought everyone

etc...

we cant say the same for Floyd,

He is a joy to watch but he hasnt demonstrated a willingness to strap em up with any and everybody

Because I think his defense is Top 5 IMO
No doubt he's top 3 defensive fighter ever

Sweet Pea
Pepp
Floyd

I dont think there's much too dispute over that
Willie Pepp was amazing RIP

Originally Posted by jblackcat13

I can see why boxing threads regulars hate when there's a big fight.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

nah its all good. I just hope the casual boxing fan that only watches the big PPVs can learn a few things in the thread. get them interested in youtubing oldvideos, or ordering boxing dvds. if they did I guarantee they would grow to learn to love the sport more and turn into die hards like myself, Amo, Shannonand String.

Originally Posted by gmoney771981

One more thing, althought I won't go as far to say Floyd ducks opponents, he's a modern day Roy Jones to me (picks opponents who don't pose a big threat). Ask yourself who are the top 5 true welterweights over the past couple years and how many of them have Floyd fought (Oscar isn't a true welter either)? You could make a case for these fighters....
1. Floyd
2. Cotto
3. Williams
4. Margarito
5. Mosley
6. Cintron?

And for the guy who said Cotto didn't want Floyd a few years ago, good for him. Cotto wouldn't have made any money even 2 years ago, now he'd make a killing

�I'm sorry dude, you talkin a bit reckless right now. Floyd has only been at welterweight for like 2 years.� And in that time he fought a fighter whowas one fight removed from being the undisputed Welterweight champion, the guy who was the legitimate Welterweight champion, a Junior Middleweight Champion,and now the guy who was the best Junior Welterweight champion, which is the division that floyd should probably be fighting at anyway.
Floyd has foughtPLENTY of tough fighters.� He took on Diego Corrales when Corrales was the hottest young fighter in the sport and spanked him.� He made a ton of defenses at130 pounds and fought just about all the top guys.� He beat Jose Luis Castillo who was the best lightweight at the time.� And he has fought one of the 2 guyshe was accused of ducking at 140, and will probably fight the other guy in the next year or so.� Floyd is not Roy Jones, be real.�

And Stringer, good point about it being awards time.� Let's see people's thoughts on:
Fight of the Year
Fighter of the Year
KO of the Year
And if anyone wants to chime in on upset of the year or anything else, feel free. Here's my preliminary ballot.

Fight of the Year: Israel Vazquez KO6 Rafael Marquez
This fight had everything.� Blood, guts, controversy, Knockdowns, back and forth action.� What elevates this fight above all others, for me, is the techincalproficiency of each fighter.� This wasn't a slugfest with two clubfighters, this was offensive boxing at its absolute pinnacle.� Fights just don't getmuch better than that one.
Fighter of the Year: Kelly Pavlik
As much as i hate to do it, i gotta give it to "The Ghost".� He had 3 fights and 3 KO's, and fought real good competition.� Took on tough MexicanJose Luis Zertuche and brutally knocked him out.� Then he took on one of the hottest and most feared fighters in Edison Miranda, and knocked him out in anupset.� Then he took on Jermain Taylor, and managed to get off the canvas to knock him out and give him his first loss.� Hard to top a year that good.

KO of the Year: Arthur Abraham KO11 Khoren Gevor
There were a TON of candidates this year.� Pavlik's KO of Zertuche was insane.� Darnell Wilson knocked Herman Ngoudjo into an alternate universe.� NonitoDonaire hit Vic Darchinyan so hard he didn't believe that he got knocked out.� But my favorite was a fight not shown in the US.� Arthur Abraham's KO ofKhoren Gevor was scary.� Abraham caught Gevor with a Counter left hook that knocked him cold.� Gevor collapsed on to his knees, and slowly toppled backwards,completely gone.� Here is a clip of the KO, its at the end of the clip:

Here's the slowmo replay that doesn't show the slow fall backwards, which is my favorite part.

my man Haiti, there are very few boxers in the history of the sport who had the power Tommy Hearns has, U box, next time u hit the gym, ask the old heads and trainers.

Let me help clarify that for you gunna. There is NO fighter who has ever fought in the Welterweight division that had power like Tommy Hearns. There isno fighter in the history of the sport, who was a better offensive fighter than the Motor City Cobra. NONE. Say what you want, i am sticking with mystatement.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

nah its all good. I just hope the casual boxing fan that only watches the big PPVs can learn a few things in the thread. get them interested in youtubing old videos, or ordering boxing dvds. if they did I guarantee they would grow to learn to love the sport more and turn into die hards like myself, Amo, Shannon and String.

Co-sign. And as far as Whitaker vs. Mayweaher, i'm not too sure how that would go. Whitaker was amazing, but he was SMALL at Welterweight, routinelycame in a few pounds under the welterweight limit. Mayweather actually cracks harder than Sweet Pea did. I'd probably take Sweet Pea, BARELY because hewas IMPOSSIBLE to hit in his prime, but Floyd would make it tough,

Fight of The Year - Marquez vs Vazquez 2

Fighter of the Year - Miguel Cotto

KO of the Year - Kelly Pavlik over Jermaine Taylor

Is there a link to a video clip that shows Tyrese singing our National Anthem and the British fans booing during last night's fight?

Fight of the Year: I have to embarrassingly say that zoned out during both of the Marquez-Varquez fights.� I don't know why, maybe there was just too muchaction...
Therefore I got to go with Taylor-Pavlik.

Fighter of the Year: Cotto with Pavlik a close second.�

KO of the Year: Kind of a tough call whether it should be the based solely on how brutal it was or if it's significance should be factored it as well but Ithink I'll go with the Pavlik's KO over Taylor since it combined both.�

And I didn't even think much of Pavlik at the beginning of the year...

i agree with everyone saying Marquez/Vasquez fight of the year.

KO of the year.. .i could be biased and say Nonito's KO on Vic... but i think Floyd on Hatton yesterday probably topped that just because Hatton fell headfirst to the corner post.

Fighter of the year.. toss up between Floyd and Cotto.. maybe Floyd because of the high profile names he beat this year.

lol.. i was just reading philboxing.com (boxing site here in the philippines) and alot of blind fans still hating on Mayweather calling it a lucky punch andPacquiao will kill him.. I hate to say it... but we got some of the most biased (and stupid) boxing fans in the world
eyes.gif
I'm the only Floyd fan here in the PI
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by MayweatherMiami

Fighter of the year -Paul williams
fight of the year-cotto-judah
KO of the year-Floyd KO hatton

Paul Williams? 1 win over Margarito and no other fights in 07? Really?

yea that paul williams needs some backing

i'm goin with cotto as fighter of the year, he's shown that we should believe the hype

and Amo back on his real name? I guess rip TPoP, i loved that avy though

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

nah its all good. I just hope the casual boxing fan that only watches the big PPVs can learn a few things in the thread. get them interested in youtubing old videos, or ordering boxing dvds. if they did I guarantee they would grow to learn to love the sport more and turn into die hards like myself, Amo, Shannon and String.

laugh.gif
I got you...I'm a fan of Boxing....I just never got into this thread. I'm not that in dept with it. I watch some matches from time to time onESPN 2 and the Hispanic channels in Chicago....
nerd.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Gothams Terror

yea that paul williams needs some backing

i'm goin with cotto as fighter of the year, he's shown that we should believe the hype

and Amo back on his real name? I guess rip TPoP, i loved that avy though
Never that. Its just that when i edit the title i have to sign in on the OG name, and sometimes i forget to log back in with TPoP. TPoP will stillbe what i use most often now. And thanks for the compliment on the Avy. Had a hell of a time figuring out how to make the damn thing.

Break Out Fighter of 2007 - Michael Katsidis
Indeed. Katsidis-Juan Diaz is bout to be CRAZY.

And maybe i need to watch Taylor-Pavlik again, cause i never thought of the KO is that great. I mean it was a solid KO, but with all these KO of the year votesimma need to check it out again.

Also, if anyone knows of a file hosting site that allows really large files, i'd like to up the top 5-10 fights of the year for the non-diehards to maybehelp stoke some interest in the sport. I'd then try to continue my old classic fight uploads.

Back
Top Bottom