2013-2014 NBA Thread - IND @ WAS and OKC @ LAC on ESPN

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is such a flawed argument. There is a greater emphasis on athleticism in the NBA thanks to the standards set by the 90s guys. From the NBA all the way down to pee wee basketball there was a change in the dynamic. That's why you see less skilled players and more athletes in the league. In the 70s the emphasis was on length and skill. All the players were lanky af. They shot jump hooks and dribbled with the ball away from their bodies. Now you have forwards with tight PG handles and your PG can dunk like a forward. It's a different era, not because of drugs but because the game has changed. Now that's not to say that there aren't some guys who may be on something. But you can't make a broad stroke generalization like that without considering all the factors for the changes.

There's also a much heavier emphasis on working out from an early age. Players in the 60s and 70s, except for a small few, probably never lifted weights in their lives.

That's BS, Griffin has been much improved as a jumpshooter this year. Why would they trade him when he's only 24 and still improving every year?

Also when did Ric Bucher start writing for Bleacher Report?? When he was with ESPN he never would have attached his name to something like this, would he?
Ric Bucher was always putting out ridiculous rumors.

:lol:   keeping DeAndre and trading Blake because they don't fit together.
Come to think of it, I feel like there have always been some dumb Ric Bucher rumors getting posted in this thread throughout the years

Last edited:

This is such a flawed argument. There is a greater emphasis on athleticism in the NBA thanks to the standards set by the 90s guys. From the NBA all the way down to pee wee basketball there was a change in the dynamic. That's why you see less skilled players and more athletes in the league. In the 70s the emphasis was on length and skill. All the players were lanky af. They shot jump hooks and dribbled with the ball away from their bodies. Now you have forwards with tight PG handles and your PG can dunk like a forward. It's a different era, not because of drugs but because the game has changed. Now that's not to say that there aren't some guys who may be on something. But you can't make a broad stroke generalization like that without considering all the factors for the changes.
I think Simmons is speaking from experience after the baseball debacle.  Every sportswriter writing off excuses like "changes in workouts and nutrition" when the reality was right there in front of their faces.  And he's absolutely right about this.  10 years from now all these guys will be saying "How could we have known?!"

LeBron, Dwight...  I would not be shocked for a minute.
Yeah but baseball ain't basketball fam lol. As has been discussed on here numerous times. 

Indiana has only allowed 100pts 3 times this year, and one of those was an OT game. and the highest of those 3 games was only 102.  
sick.gif

i learned throughout the Seattle-Sacramento saga this summer that Ric Bicher is a complete dumbass and he really shouldn't have a job.

Bucher is terrible. I followed him on Twitter for a while starting in the lock-out offseason and he was more consistently wrong about things than all the other NBA writers I followed. I had to unfollow him.

Is it? How would/do steroids impact basketball. I'd like to hear your take on it. Surely you don't believe what applies to baseball applies to basketball.
Are you trying to imply that the kind of bulk bodybuilding baseball players did in the late 90s with steroids mean steroids wouldn't be helpful to basketball players?

Because the technology of these drugs has changed tremendously in 15-20 years.  Back then, people would say about the MLB "steroids are only for bodybuilders, they're not useful to baseball players."

Now I would guarantee that PEDs exist that are far more efficient for basketball than what Bonds and McGwire took to swell their bodies up like that.  Rehabbing from injuries, putting on weight quickly, there are many, many applications for PEDs to help basketball players.  And you can't assume that would mean the kind of unwieldy bulk these guys had back then.  This is a big industry, and a lot of research has been done in the last decade. 

Indiana has only allowed 100pts 3 times this year, and one of those was an OT game. and the highest of those 3 games was only 102.  :x

Should be a good matchup for the points you were mentioning a few pages back. Boogie who prides himself on offense and not much else verse a big who prides himself on defense and is the anchor in the paint.

Luol Deng really said his free agency move depends on Lebron's.....:rofl: just don't buy a permanent home in Cleveland there Deng

i hate those cutoff comparison stats. midas whale tailor it to dmc

only player w/ 20points 10 boards 3assist and 1+ steals :pimp: sorry klove

sucks for cavs fans that their team is a mess this year, if they were a top 4 team in the east i could see lebron going back

Is it? How would/do steroids impact basketball. I'd like to hear your take on it. Surely you don't believe what applies to baseball applies to basketball.
Are you trying to imply that the kind of bulk bodybuilding baseball players did in the late 90s with steroids mean steroids wouldn't be helpful to basketball players?

Because the technology of these drugs has changed tremendously in 15-20 years.  Back then, people would say about the MLB "steroids are only for bodybuilders, they're not useful to baseball players."

Now I would guarantee that PEDs exist that are far more efficient for basketball than what Bonds and McGwire took to swell their bodies up like that.  Rehabbing from injuries, putting on weight quickly, there are many, many applications for PEDs to help basketball players.  And you can't assume that would mean the kind of unwieldy bulk these guys had back then.  This is a big industry, and a lot of research has been done in the last decade. 
Sure they'd be helpful but only in nominal ways, not the impact you're making it out to be. The best argument being rehabbing. But in a league where ACL's are tearing faster than warmup pants you'll be hardpressed to make that argument correlate to the MASSIVE increase in output production baseball players who used received. Putting on weight and recovering quickly isn't going to make your jumper better, or your handle, or your court awareness, etc etc. Which at the end of the day, is what its all about. There isn't a steroid yet made that will do for Toney Douglas what it did for Melky Cabrera.

Sure they'd be helpful but only in nominal ways, not the impact you're making it out to be. The best argument being rehabbing. But in a league where ACL's are tearing faster than warmup pants you'll be hardpressed to make that argument correlate to the MASSIVE increase in output production baseball players who used received. Putting on weight and recovering quickly isn't going to make your jumper better, or your handle, or your court awareness, etc etc. Which at the end of the day, is what its all about. There isn't a steroid yet made that will do for Toney Douglas what it did for Melky Cabrera.
You could have said "Steroids won't help you hit a baseball better, just harder."

But for someone who already has special skills or talent, being able to be stronger and faster on the court could be a huge advantage.

Barry Bonds was already a great player because of his game ability.  But the strength given to him by PEDs made him arguably the greatest of all time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom