2014 New York Yankees season thread Vol. (84-78) .. Essential's Offseason thread coming soon

Haven't caught to many games his season but had to watch Tanaka tonight. Excellent performance, and he didn't come with the good stuff today according to Michael Kay and the boys. I was really impressed with his outing as I haven't been able to watch him pitch much, he's the real deal.

Betances??? Is that how you spell it? Dude throws heat and has strikeout ability. I'm rooting for this dude, plus he grew up in Nee York apparently and from Da Heightz....nice.

Tanaka.
pimp.gif

Didn't get too caught up in the hype for him because the last two pitchers we signed from Japan didn't pan out, but he has been a Godsend.

I can only imagine how bad our rotation would be without him.

Last night was a long game... Glad we got the W hopefully they can build on this momentum going forward...

I was there for that game...longest 9-inning game I've gone to -_-

Actually probably not...some Yankees/Red Sox games were ridiculous that I've been to

In not so good news:

Yankees left-hander Manny Banuelos missed nearly all of 2012 and 2013 because of Tommy John surgery and subsequent rehab setbacks. But he has pitched all year in short stints of mostly three innings and fewer than 60 pitches per outing. His stuff during Wednesday night's game in Trenton wasn't where it was prior to the initial surgery, and I couldn't tell you if or when it will come all the way back.

Banuelos was at 90-92 on Wednesday night -- never any higher. His fastball was flat and soft for its velocity, though it played up just a little because he could offset it with an above-average-to-plus changeup around 78 mph with good arm speed. He didn't have the same curveball he once showed -- 73-76, big and very slow -- but he was throwing a lot of cutters at 84-86, with every fourth or fifth coming out above-average, but mostly below that. His delivery is still compact and on-line, providing a little deception because he keeps everything close to his body, but there's a big gap between his old 92-95 mph fastball with a little pop and the current 90-92 version. He may be more likely to find a role as a starter who relies more on an assortment of offspeed pitches and some touch and feel, especially if he can tighten up the rotation on his curveball and doesn't have to lean so heavily on the cutter.

Back
Top Bottom