2016 OFFICIAL YANKEES SEASON THREAD... THANK YOU A-ROD

Any gif/vid of the Ellsbury play? I heard it on the radio and Sterling couldn't believe it.

Yankees' Mark Teixeira won't have surgery on knee for now

NEW YORK -- Yankees first baseman Mark Teixeira will not have surgery to repair the torn cartilage in his right knee, though he may ultimately need it. The club is hoping that by pursuing a course of treatment and rehab, he could return in three weeks.

Teixeira felt his knee lock up Friday in Baltimore and had to leave the game. He was diagnosed with the tear and was placed on the 15-day disabled list on Saturday. There was a concern that if he had surgery to repair it, he could be lost for the rest of the season. He met with team medical personnel Monday in New York.

"Our goal is to try to get him baseball-ready in three weeks to see where we're at," Yankees manager Joe Girardi said after the Yanks came back from a two-run deficit for a 5-2 win over the Angels at Yankee Stadium. "I can't tell you it's going to be three weeks, but that's our goal through treatment and all the other things that he'll go through.

"When I say baseball-ready, that would mean that he would be ready to play in a game somewhere. Could it go faster? I guess. Could it go slower? I guess. But that's our goal."

Teixeira is once again mired in a season plagued by injury. He already had to miss four games in the last week of May with a stiff neck and for the season is batting .180 with three home runs and 12 RBIs.

He has not played more than 123 games in a season since 2011 because of a myriad of injuries; his 2015 season was cut short after he played in 111 games because he fouled a ball off his shin and broke the bone. He still hit 31 home runs, and the Yankees were banking on similar production in the final season of his eight-year, $180 million contract.

Girardi was asked how exactly the Yankees would treat a cartilage tear, but was at a bit of a loss.

"It's way over my head to try to understand. I've tried like three times," he said. "So we're going to try the conservative approach and then we go from there."

We knew this was coming :smh:

Last edited:
That botched Ellsbury call was terrible. No idea how they saw the same replays we saw and thought he was out. He clearly touched the bag first. That play changed the whole tone of the game.

Then Trout gets tagged out, we would have challenged that if we had a challenge.

McCann and Castro both CRUSHED those balls. I was stunned. Real nice to see us come back and win after giving Baltimore two W's.

Pineda gave us 7 innings of quality pitching :wow: :wow:

we better win this game

Decided to take a closer look at Michael Pineda...

Let's start with a simple look first.

Pineda’s K/9 is the highest it’s ever been at 9.7.

But his H/9 are also at a career high with 11.5 (9.9 & 6.6 in the 2 seasons prior).
HR/9 up to 1.6 (1.2 last year, 0.6 in 2014)
BB/9 up to 2.3. This is the most puzzling because he has a reputation for not walking anybody. For example he was at 0.8 BB/9 in 2014, and 1.2 in 2015
In 2014, he didn’t qualify with IP, but had he, he would have been 2nd in the Majors in BB/9. Didn’t qualify in 2015 either, but even going up to 1.2, he would have been 2nd again. His 2.32 is 34th in the majors. Still decent, but when you consider, over the 237 IP in 2014-15, he was 1.1 BB/9, it’s not good.
I think that the walks is the biggest indication of trouble for him. Because more than doubling your BB/9 means you are missing your locations.

Then there is a confusing aspect to his pitching. He’s 103 of 106 with a .371 BABIP. But when it comes to swings and misses, he is 14.2% and 5th. Surrounded by Fernandez, Kershaw, Scherzer, Syndergaard, Shoemaker & Hamels.
Not much of a difference of Soft, Medium & Hard hits. Maybe a few % higher between 2014-2016 on hard hit balls, but nothing too alarming.
His swings at pitches outside of the zone is the same at 36%. Swings at pitches inside the zone has increased 3% from 63 to 66%. Total Swing % is down 1% to 49.6%.
Contact outside of the zone has DRASTICALLY improved.. Went from 59.8% then 57.2% to 48.8%. Contact in the zone has stayed around 86-87%. And because of lack of contact outside of the zone, overall contact by batters has dropped from 77% to 76% to 71%.
Now it’s really confusing because how is he doing so much worse this year than the previous 2, when batters are not hitting the ball harder, and they are contacting on the ball less?

Here’s why:
1. When you look deeper into the walks, Pineda has lost the zone. His zone% (% that he is in the strike zone) has dropped. In 2014, 54.1% down to 51.4% in 2015, and now even worse in 2015 with 42.8%
2. He no longer throws his cutter. In 2014 he threw it 27.7%, in 2015 it went to 15.1%, now it’s down to 3.1%.... And his straight fastball has gone up from 31.6% to 41.8% to 48.8%. There’s very little variety now, you’re seeing a lot more straight fastballs, and no movement on them.
3. The Fastball that he’s throwing more often has been crap this year, the value of his fastball has gone from +2.3 Runs Above Average in 2014, to -4.7 in 2015 & -14.2 in 2016.

Last edited:
So should we sell high on Beltran or ride it out? As of now we're 4 games out out of a wild card spot & 6.5 games out of 1st in the division.

Our upcoming schedule is really easy so i wouldn't be surprised to see us a few games over .500 by July.

So should we sell high on Beltran or ride it out? As of now we're 4 games out out of a wild card spot & 6.5 games out of 1st in the division.

Our upcoming schedule is really easy so i wouldn't be surprised to see us a few games over .500 by July.

See where we're at come July 21st.

If it's 5+ in both, pull the plug.

Back
Top Bottom