2018/19 Philadelphia 76ers Thread: The Process Continues

The 76ers have the best rookie class of all time. Really. (10 minute read)

My short preview of the 76ers rookie class. Sixers fans, there's probably nothing here you don't already know. This is really for the people who are hearing the 76ers hype and are wondering what the deal is. 5-10 minute read if you wanna get into it.

The 76ers have the best rookie class in NBA history. Really.

In the summer of 2013, Sam Hinkie and the Sixers began their rebuild. What followed was one of the ballsiest, most polarizing experiments in professional sports history. Hinkie resigned as GM in April, but his methodical, often borderline maniacal approach of prioritizing asset accumulation over all else still defines the 76ers. 3 years removed from kicking off the now infamous Process by sending All-Star point guard Jrue Holiday to the Pelicans for Nerlens Noel, and now more than 4 months removed from Hinkie’s exit, Philadelphia looks to a brighter future as they head into the season with 4 of the top players in a strong rookie class. We take a quick look at each of these players, and preview what Philly will look like in 2016/2017.

The main thing everyone should understand about the Process is that it’s an extremely complicated subject. It’s a conversation that requires a high level of nuance and contextual understanding of the NBA as a whole, and we will save that conversation for another day. Today, we’re going to focus on the tangible assets that the Process has produced. Sam Hinkie planted the seeds, and new president/GM Bryan Colangelo now reaps the benefits: the 76ers believe they have 3 Rookie of the Year candidates going into the 2016 season: Dario Saric, Ben Simmons, and Joel Embiid. A fourth rookie, Timothe Luwawu-Cabarrot, fell to Philly at No. 24 and is expected to contribute as well. Thanks to the delayed deployment of Saric (stayed overseas) and Embiid (injury), we are now looking at what may be the greatest rookie class any team has ever debuted.

Timothe Luwawu-Cabarrot, SG, Mega Leks/France

The least heralded of the bunch, Timothe Luwawu is a highflying 6’7 shooting guard that projects as a prototypical 3-and-D wing in the NBA. Projected as a lottery talent, Luwawu fell to No. 24 because of an ankle injury suffered that kept him out of the Serbian League playoffs.

In a league that has basically no depth at the shooting guard position, Luwawu is very intriguing. His athleticism is what jumps off the page. The guy can absolutely fly. The elite athleticism, combined with long arms, should make him a great defender at the NBA level. A natural comparison of his upside is Nicolas Batum, another lengthy French wing who is good on both ends.

Air France takes off

Offensively, he still relies on his athletic ability to blow by guys and get to the rim. He is a decent three point shooter but is basically nonexistent in the mid-range game. His development over the last couple of years has been very similar to another athletic, sweet shooting SG: Minnesota’s Zach LaVine. Like LaVine, Luwawu was asked to handle the ball a lot for the Mega Leks, and while he did struggle, it helped his game overall. His ball handling has improved significantly and he is a much bigger threat to take defenders off the dribble. He does have a problem with turnovers, but I suspect he will not handle the ball nearly as much in the NBA.

Luwawu is very talented, but he is still a raw prospect. You can see the potential and ability, but how he adjusts to the NBA and not being the star player will have a lot more to do with his development than his natural talent. I expect him to sit behind the newly signed veteran Gerald Henderson, or maybe even see some time in the D-League where he can play big minutes.

Dario Saric, PF, Anadolu Efes/Croatia

Dario Saric, the 12th overall pick of the 2014 Draft, is finally a Sixer. A 6’10 forward with tons of skill, Saric is built for today’s NBA. He is not just a good passer for a big, he is a legitimate playmaker. He will come to the NBA and immediately become one of the most skilled players at the power forward position. He isn’t on Simmons’ level as an offense initiator, but he should be the perfect power forward next to Simmons because of his shooting ability. Last season, playing for Turkish club Anadolu Efes, Saric shot 50/40/94 splits on 22 minutes per game, while scoring 11.7 points per game. His shot attempt numbers were on the lower side, but those splits are impressive nonetheless, and he should be a legitimate shooter in the NBA. Philly could use the floor spacing at the power forward spot badly. Saric is a legit 2-way player, and his fit with Simmons looks perfect on paper. A pick and roll offense revolving around Simmons and Saric’s playmaking could become lethal.

he's no Simmons, but the dude can pass

You’ll start to notice a trend here. The Sixers are loaded with international players. In fact, all four of the rookies profiled here are international guys. Head coach Brett Brown - a Bostonian who spent years coaching in Australia’s NBL and the Australian national team and speaks in an accent that can only be described as “Bostralian” - comes from the Popovich coaching tree, which means he knows a thing or two about developing international players.

Basketball aside, the biggest reason Philly is excited for the arrival of Saric is simple: attitude. If you’ve never seen Saric play, do it. There’s nothing I can tell you about Saric that you can’t get by just watching him play. The guy is a maniac on the floor. He substitutes Mario Hezonja’s cocky teenage bravado for a straight up kind of mean *** swagger. He is already a household name in Croatia and is seen as the leader of future Croatian hoops. Don’t be surprised if Dario Saric becomes the Philly fan favorite very early into the season.

Ben Simmons, Whatever the **** Position Ben Simmons Plays, LSU/Australia

Ben Simmons is the most interesting top prospect to enter the NBA in recent memory, maybe ever.

Everything about him is an anomaly.

He has the physical size of LaMarcus Aldridge, Jason Kidd’s floor general mentality, the ball handling of Blake Griffin, Rajon Rondo’s unwillingness to shoot, and his routine dimes and cross court bullet passes are already, dare I say, Magic-esque. The strangest thing about him, however, is that no one knows if he’s right-handed or left-handed. Watching him play, I’m not sure Simmons himself knows either. He shoots jumpers and free throws left-handed. Around the basket, however, he shoots almost exclusively with his right hand. Simmons is a left-handed player who almost never even attempts a left-handed layup, even when he drives left. The acrobatics he performs in mid air in order to shoot with his right hand around the basket is inexplicable, and it’s something he will have to figure out.

Take a look at this play. He has a full head of steam going to the basket and for some reason throws up a shot with his right hand and has it blocked. This happens all the time; he just isn't comfortable finishing with his left hand when there's a good contest.

Simmons has unbelievable court vision, and his height allows him to make cross court passes that only guys named Magic and LeBron can make. His anticipation and creativity as a passer has been apparent from day 1, and he will undoubtedly become a twitter/Vine legend. His presence alone makes the Sixers a League Pass favorite.

Simmons and LeBron cross court bullet passes

Brett Brown and his staff will have to figure out how to build around such a unique player. It’s expected that Simmons will be the point guard on offense for all intents and purposes. On defense, he has the athleticism and skills to develop into a solid defender at the 3 and 4. The Sixers also picked up Jerryd Bayless and Sergio Rodriguez, two nominal point guards who should fit well on the offensive side with Simmons. They will deploy Simmons the way the Lakers used Magic: he defends the opposing team’s 3/4, but give him the ball on offense and let him run things. The only difference, it seems, is that Simmons will not get the “point guard” designation that Magic got. It almost doesn’t feel right to put a position on such a unique player.

Nice defense on Buddy Hield after switching on high PnR

A major knock on Simmons, and one that inevitably comes up time after time, is his jumper. More specifically, his hesitance when it comes to taking them. Simmons’ shooting stroke is mostly okay. It’s not broken like Michael Kidd-Gilchrist’s monstrosity of a shooting motion, but it’s not perfect. His free throw percentage in college was 67%, just barely lower than that of Brandon Ingram, one of the best shooters of the draft class. All signs show that he should be a capable shooter. Yet he only attempted three 3-pointers at LSU. For someone so skilled at the game, who is expected to score the bulk of his team’s points, his hesitance to shoot was strange at the very least. Some have suggested that he should take the Tristan Thompson route: start shooting jumpers and free throws with his right hand. I don’t think this is necessary because I tend to believe that Simmons is truly ambidextrous and that his shot will improve with NBA coaching, as many others do.

Simmons’ development and the Sixers’ utilization of him is one of many interesting storylines in Philly this season. At the end of the day, people this big, this athletic, and this skilled are once in a generation. Simmons has all the tools to be a top 5 player in basketball. However, he may not even end up as the best player on his own team......

Joel Embiid, C, Kansas/Cameroon

After sitting out the first 2 years of his career, Joel Embiid will make his debut for the 76ers in a matter of weeks as the hype levels in Philly reaches critical mass. Brett Brown recently confirmed that Embiid will play in the preseason and is expected to be healthy for the regular season. His minutes will be closely monitored, and he will not be playing the second night of back-to-backs, meaning he will miss a minimum of 17 games.

If you remember what it was like to watch Embiid in college, you probably understand why there is this insane hype surrounding him, and why it surpasses even that of Ben Simmons.

JoJo started playing competitive basketball in November of 2011. Two years later, he was drawing comparisons to Hakeem Olajuwon as a freshman at Kansas. So prodigious was Embiid’s natural talent for the game, that he even overshadowed Andrew Wiggins, his teammate and the most hyped high school prospect since LeBron. In the 2 years since being drafted 3rd overall behind Wiggins and Jabari Parker, Embiid has rarely been sighted, thus making it impossible to judge just how good he is.

It’s easy then, at this point, to see Embiid in the same way you see a mythical creature. He has not played competitively in over 2 years. The only thing we’ve seen over that span are grainy vines of him draining three pointers, throwing down between-the-legs dunks, and posting up 5’10 Sixer staffers. He has reportedly grown to 7’2, and carries noticeably more weight now. He is a massive human being with lower back and foot issues. Typically, those things will derail a big man’s career, but Sixer fans are hoping Embiid can be the exception to the rule.

What surrounds Embiid now is different: a weird mix of cautious optimism and unbridled excitement. The 76ers and their fans, for the most part, will Learn How to Stop Worrying and Trust the Process. With his debut looming, however, it’s hard to think about Embiid without considering the possibility and potential that he represents. He has already cemented his status as a top 5 NBA twitter account of all time. Now he has a chance to show that he’s just as good on the court.

What’s next?

There’s no question Philadelphia is trending up, but it is far from a finished product. Much of the thought circulating the heyday of the Process was that almost none of the players on the roster at the time were expected to be important pieces going forward, and that might still be the case. The Sixers will almost certainly try to trade Nerlens Noel or Jahlil Okafor, maybe even both. Noel, in particular, presents a looming dilemma for the Sixers: he becomes a restricted free agent after 2016/2017. If Embiid proves healthy, the Sixers may be hesitant to give Noel the big extension that he deserves, given that playing him at PF next to Okafor last season turned out to be a trainwreck. Having 3 extremely talented young centers on your team is a good problem on paper, but when your positional logjam is so obvious to the league, you’re less likely to get maximum value for those players in the trade market.

The signing of Sergio Rodriguez, Gerald Henderson, and Jerryd Bayless were all smart signings by Colangelo, who has made a number of Hinkie-esque moves since taking over. Now the Sixers are able to put an NBA-level backcourt on the floor, something they have not done since the Process began three years ago. They aren’t expected to be stars, just solid stopgap players.

The influx of talent is far from over. As good as these rookies may be, it’s hard to see Philly winning more than 25 games next year. That puts them in line to receive another pick in the top 5 range. They also still own the Lakers 1st round pick, which is top-3 protected this year but unprotected after. If that’s not enough, Hinkie also fleeced the Kings for their unprotected 1st round pick in 2019, which looks like an extremely good pick considering the Kings’ ineptitude. The Sixers may well be competitive by 2019, but they have effectively outsourced their tanking to Sacramento.

If you’re not already on the Sixers bandwagon, now’s as good a time as any to jump on.

I'm starting to get more excited Embiid than Simmons

We need to move Noel IMO

Last edited:
So the sixers just signed cat barber from NC state. Does anyone know anything about this combo guard? Was this a good signing?

So the sixers just signed cat barber from NC state. Does anyone know anything about this combo guard? Was this a good signing?
Was he signed for camp or the actual roster ?

But that was my guy at NC state, think he led the ACC in scoring last year ...he was probly the fastest guard in this draft , great handle and can get buckets ...he's a average passer n not too sure about his Defense...streaky shooter , he's either on or bricking the whole night ...also kinda frail needs to put on some weight, but a tough player who's not scared of the paint ...overall he can develop into a solid back up/up tempo pg

From your description + his braids...it sounds like we just signed Iverson.

From Bleacher Report:

"AUGUST 31: The Sixers, having opened up a couple roster spots earlier this afternoon, have officially signed Barber, the team announced today in a press release. JULY 21: The Sixers have agreed to terms with another undrafted rookie free agent, according to Shams Charania of The Vertical, who reports ( via Twitter) that the team is signing former North Carolina State guard Cat Barber to a partially-guaranteed deal"

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/track/7913265-76ers-sign-former-nc-state-guard-cat-barber

Last edited:
Anthony Barber (UDFA)
Brandon Paul (UDFA)
Ben Simmons (Pick 1)
Timothe Luwawu (Pick 24)
Joel Embiid (Pick 3)
Dario Saric (Pick 12)

The only thing keeping me from being overly excited is the big man situation. Other than that, this year should be fun.

I like the Cat Barber signing alot. Idk if he'll play much this yr tho but if we hold on to him, he could be interesting

Was he signed for camp or the actual roster ?

But that was my guy at NC state, think he led the ACC in scoring last year ...he was probly the fastest guard in this draft , great handle and can get buckets ...he's a average passer n not too sure about his Defense...streaky shooter , he's either on or bricking the whole night ...also kinda frail needs to put on some weight, but a tough player who's not scared of the paint ...overall he can develop into a solid back up/up tempo pg

Yep pretty spot on. He didn't look that great in Summer League, I think he'll be on our D-League team most of this year honestly.

This dude is an idiot. He should be back early December probably. That's still a lot of season left to play...we need to get these dudes on the court, not hold them out while they're healthy to play just to tank more like the past years with Noel, Okafor and Embiid. We don't need to be seeing Simmons throw down windmills in warmups while not getting any in-game experience.

The surgery Simmons had comes with a high risk of re-injury/re-surgery if he returns before he's completely healed. I honestly wouldn't mind if it took him more than 3 months to return.

No interest in the team until Simmons returns.

And I mean that.

I wouldn't say that..Yes Im disappointed by the Simmons injury..But I'm still very interested to see Embiid on the court...Who by all accounts is a better prospect than Simmons..Plus I'm also hoping Okafor and Noel made improvements to their games.

Last edited:
I guess. Simmons is THE guy though. I don't care about Oak, Noel gonna continue being a role player, Embiid is interesting but who's getting him the ball? Saric we'll see.

It's just deflating. I was pumped for this season to see it all come together and once again, like every year, our guy goes down.

I'm also irritated by the Panthers play yesterday so I'm in a salty mood. I'll be watching opening night. 
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom