31 pieces of advice, from a NTer who just turned 31 today... and a $31 giveaway

28. Always find a job that is a resume builder. If it is not something that will help you advance in the work force, don't do it. Once hired, NEVER BURN ANY BRIDGES. Keep moving up the latter.

rayray3thousand
4/30/83
Happy birthday!  Enjoy your day with your family and friends!

I can attest to this for sure.  I worked at a pizza joint for 4 years during high school and college.  Went to work for a bank after that which was a great learning experience.  Now I work for a Fortune 500 company here in Cincinnati and I can see the doors opening all around me.  I'll be 24 in September and to this point I've never backpedaled.  One key piece of advice I'll add to this is to get a mentor at work.  Find someone higher up than you, preferably not in your department, who can give you perspective on other aspects of the company, family, and life in general.  When you have people in your corner it'll get you where you want to be.

It's tough for me to stay close to a lot of friends because I moved around a lot since H.S unitl now. Also I'm not good at keeping contact through the phone.

21. You are eventually going to lose your hops, but your jump shot will always stick around. Do not rely on being a high flyer and expect to stick around gyms all your life.
True this. I can't think of many NBA players who lasted well into their 30's because of their explosiveness, but I can think of at least a half dozen that adjusted their game as they aged by either adding a 3 ball or relying more on their already established J.

great thread homie.

especially on the friends, women, basketball and adulthood.

11. Listen to your friends. I don't mean take advice. I mean LISTEN to them. 90% of the time guys are just preloading what our response will be while someone is speaking, or your reply to a buddy will start with "I". Instead, be that dude in your crew that genuinely has conversations with friends where you let them speak, and you are that person whom they can rely on. You would be surprised how rare that is.

I have a real problem with this, I gotta listen more for sure.

No offense but this is like cookie cutter, pickett fence, 2.5 kids and a dog lifestyle advice. I swear I seen all 31 on a family sitcom before.

@FrankMatthews I debated to give advice about earning illegal income but didn't want to influence the younger NTers to follow that path compared to a more secure one (at least legally)

26. Build good credit, marry someone who also has good credit, and establish ownership of a property as soon as possible. Paying rent will only stall the process towards being a home owner. Nobody is ready at first, but your mortgage will always be the same, and your salary will always go up.

Couldn't have said it any better. Building is the foundation to getting a car or new home and having someone who has good credit as well only helps when the two of you are planning on buying a house.

I still live at home because I know the downfalls of having to rent. You are just giving away money to some random person you probably don't like. Your landlord.

Wishing you the happiest of birthdays, man. That was some pretty sound advice. Reps for you my dude. :nthat:

HBD tan man

11. Listen to your friends. I don't mean take advice. I mean LISTEN to them. 90% of the time guys are just preloading what our response will be while someone is speaking, or your reply to a buddy will start with "I". Instead, be that dude in your crew that genuinely has conversations with friends where you let them speak, and you are that person whom they can rely on. You would be surprised how rare that is.

12. Your high school crew won't last forever. Don't get me wrong, you will stay close friends with a lot of them. But ages 14-18 do not define who you are, and you will change and drift apart over time.

2 buddies from HS & were still tight to this day .. & im the guy would they & others come to for help & just get thing off thier chest

didnt notice it till just now :pimp:

& thier parents both consider me another son

Last edited:
Happy Birthday Homeboi. Great advice you gave, just hope these youngster read and take notes..

WHAT ABOUT THE GIVE AWAY? I Need $31 for 31 flavors.

HBD tan man

12. Your high school crew won't last forever. Don't get me wrong, you will stay close friends with a lot of them. But ages 14-18 do not define who you are, and you will change and drift apart over time.

2 buddies from HS & were still tight to this day .. & im the guy would they & others come to for help & just get thing off thier chest

repped... keep that relationship close. they will be groomsmen in your wedding one day, and your kids will call them "uncle"

HBD tan man

2 buddies from HS & were still tight to this day .. & im the guy they & others would come to for help & just get thing's off thier chest

repped... keep that relationship close. they will be groomsmen in your wedding one day, and your kids will call them "uncle"

my oldest already does :pimp:

16. Be nice to attractive females. Be even nicer to non attractive ones. Women notice how you treat other women, be a gentlemen at all times, but leave looks out of it. The most beautiful ones will notice.

I was a real d-bag in school to some girls
mean.gif
totally regret it.

Came in for the giveaway, left with some wisdom. HBD fellow NT'er
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom