4:20 News

BaltimoreLove

formerly peterjamesthe3rd
[h1]
[/h1]http://www.google.com/hos...riaylg_l-Jr6te4gD966S1K00[h1]Whiff of change in US medical marijuana policy[/h1]
By DEVLIN BARRETT - 2 days ago

WASHINGTON (AP) - The White House won't say it explicitly. Neither will the Drug Enforcement Administration. Yet there is a whiff in the air that U.S.policy is about to change when it comes to medical marijuana.

The message is clear, said UCLA professor Mark Kleiman, a former Justice Department official and an expert on crime and drug policy.

"It is no longer federal policy to beat up on hippies," said Kleiman.

Tell that to the DEA.

In California this past week, agents raided four dispensaries in Los Angeles and seized 500 pounds of pot.

"It's a little bit surprising, because I think current DEA management didn't get the message," said Kleiman. "The message is, this isno longer drug warrior time. We are not on a cultural crusade against pot-smoking."

California law permits the sale of marijuana for medical purposes, though it is still against federal law.

Thirteen states have laws permitting medicinal use of marijuana. California is unique among them for the presence of dispensaries, businesses that sellmarijuana and even advertise their services. Legal under California law, such dispensaries are still illegal under federal law.

"Anyone possessing, distributing or cultivating marijuana for any reason is in violation of federal law," Sarah Pullen, a DEA spokeswoman in LosAngeles, said Thursday.

That may be the law, but it contradicts the medical marijuana position of the new president.

"The president believes that federal resources should not be used to circumvent state laws, and as he continues to appoint senior leadership to fillout the ranks of the federal government, he expects them to review their policies with that in mind," said White House spokesman Nick Shapiro, repeatingpast statements.

So on Friday, DEA officials in Washington declined to comment at all on the subject.

As a presidential candidate, Obama repeatedly promised a change in federal drug policy in situations where state laws allow use of medical marijuana.

"I think the basic concept of using medical marijuana for the same purposes and with the same controls as other drugs prescribed by doctors, I thinkthat's entirely appropriate," Obama told the Mail Tribune of Medford, Ore., in March.

A year earlier at a campaign stop in New Hampshire, Obama said: "I would not have the Justice Department prosecuting and raiding medical marijuanausers."

At age 47, Obama is part of a generation that had plenty of exposure to pot.

In his memoir, "Dreams from My Father," he described time spent as a youth struggling with questions about his race and identity, and turning todrugs - including marijuana and cocaine - to "push questions of who I was out of my mind."

The new president is unlikely to make any official change in policy before he has a new DEA chief and drug czar in place.

Yet experts believe it is already clear the Obama administration will change the strategy, if not the law, on medical marijuana.

Philip Heymann, a former deputy attorney general in the Clinton administration who is now a Harvard professor, said it's time for the agency to put moreeffort into fighting drugs more dangerous than marijuana.

"I do expect him to appoint an administrator who takes marijuana less seriously than is traditional for the DEA, as I think most Americans do,"said Heymann.

Heymann said he expects the Obama administration will eventually instruct the DEA to emphatically scale back raids on dispensaries, and conduct such raidsonly in instances where investigators believe a business is abusing the dispensary system as a cover for other criminal behavior.

So last week's raids in California may be the last of their kind.

"The DEA's not likely to want to confront a new president," said Heymann. "It may simply be that they're behaving as they havetraditionally, and they haven't anticipated the change Obama and his spokesman are signaling."

decriminalize is about as far as its going to go for a while..but this is good progress

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Let's say they legalize "medical marijuana" (I'm not sure what ISconsidered Medical marijuana and the rules/laws about it) does that mean I'd have to walk around with a notice from a doctor if I wanna smoke? Can someoneenlighten me?[/color]

Originally Posted by NuMba1KiCkrocka

It just saddens me the amount of people who smoke period
It saddens me the amount of people that dont...

We're so worried about the friggin national debt. LEGALIZE IT. TAX IT. thats a guaranteed influx of money to our government. I'm not gonna get on ahuge weed debate, but its proven. Tobacco has longer lasting effects on your health, but is legal because it generates so much money. Eventually all these50's government officials are gonna be dead and weed will eventually be decriminalized.

Originally Posted by stevielips

We're so worried about the friggin national debt. LEGALIZE IT. TAX IT. thats a guaranteed influx of money to our government. I'm not gonna get on a huge weed debate, but its proven. Tobacco has longer lasting effects on your health, but is legal because it generates so much money. Eventually all these 50's government officials are gonna be dead and weed will eventually be decriminalized.
How?

What I mean is, the only way you can tax it, is if someone buys from a store or whatever. Unlike cigarettes, it's probably alot easier to get it fromsomewhere else tax free.

Originally Posted by ProduccionFrescos

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Let's say they legalize "medical marijuana" (I'm not sure what IS considered Medical marijuana and the rules/laws about it) does that mean I'd have to walk around with a notice from a doctor if I wanna smoke? Can someone enlighten me?[/color]

in the states that allow medical marijuana use, yes your right.

any questions about medical issues getting your card or doctors pm me... ill point you in the right direction...

Originally Posted by viintage

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Let's say they legalize "medical marijuana" (I'm not sure what IS considered Medical marijuana and the rules/laws about it) does that mean I'd have to walk around with a notice from a doctor if I wanna smoke? Can someone enlighten me?[/color]
[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]But what's the difference between "medical marijuana"and (hypothetically speaking) some sour diesel I may copp from a friend?[/color]
laugh.gif
[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]I'm a noob when it comes to this stuff.[/color]

What I mean is, the only way you can tax it, is if someone buys from a store or whatever. Unlike cigarettes, it's probably alot easier to get it from somewhere else tax free.

Agreed but I would say a LARGE percentage of marijuana users in America would rather spend $5 bucks more for their LEGAL weed than risk getting caught buyingstreet weed. Right now dealers can sell what they want because its a matter of supply and demand. If the gov't regulated weed there would be a standard ofquality and the only under the table action that would be going is either 1.) dealers drastically cut prices of "dirt" weed or 2.) Dealers startselling HIGH end weed exclusively. Now there isn't huge profit in dirt weed unless you buy bricks of it, anyone who knows anyone who've ever sold willtell you that. There is no way dealers are gonna cut the price of dirt when the average consumer can go to the corner and get better weed for just a littlebit more WITHOUT any problems.

Like I said, I firmly believe the AVERAGE weed consumer would pay more for legal weed than dirt weed unless the government really regulated the THC amounts.

Let's say they legalize "medical marijuana" (I'm not sure what IS considered Medical marijuana and the rules/laws about it) does that mean I'd have to walk around with a notice from a doctor if I wanna smoke? Can someone enlighten me?
But what's the difference between "medical marijuana" and (hypothetically speaking) some sour diesel I may copp from a friend?
laugh.gif
I'm a noob when it comes to this stuff.

It just means it's for medical use, meaning you have somekind of problem and marijuana helps you with that. medical marijuana is legal and your friendsisn't. As far as whether it's stronger or weaker...I can't help you with that, cause i don't smoke.

tax stamps... read up on them... this way the dealer and government is happy...

growers pay a fee per plant... customers pay a fee per 8th... dealers till have a job... government deals with economic crisis...

Originally Posted by MyJaysGetRocked

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]But what's the difference between "medical marijuana" and (hypothetically speaking) some sour diesel I may copp from a friend?[/color]
laugh.gif
It just means it's for medical use, meaning you have somekind of problem and marijuana helps you with that. medical marijuana is legal and your friends isn't. As far as whether it's stronger or weaker...I can't help you with that, cause i don't smoke.
[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Thanks man[/color]

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]But what's the difference between "medical marijuana" and (hypothetically speaking) some sour diesel I may copp from a friend?[/color]
laugh.gif

It just means it's for medical use, meaning you have somekind of problem and marijuana helps you with that. medical marijuana is legal and your friends isn't. As far as whether it's stronger or weaker...I can't help you with that, cause i don't smoke.
strength is a matter of grower... you can have dirt or high grade legal and vice versa... for the most part stuff from Cali dispensaries is topnotch... and like i said earlier any questions pm me...

Let's say they legalize "medical marijuana" (I'm not sure what IS considered Medical marijuana and the rules/laws about it) does that mean I'd have to walk around with a notice from a doctor if I wanna smoke? Can someone enlighten me?
But what's the difference between "medical marijuana" and (hypothetically speaking) some sour diesel I may copp from a friend?
laugh.gif
I'm a noob when it comes to this stuff.
Thanks man

No, problem. I heard it's actually really easy to get a certified for a card.

pimp.gif
this might just be the perfect storm for the legalization of marijuana...new more contemporary president economic crisis which makes gov cut spending (ieDEA hassling harmless hippies) more and more information (a lot of it thru the internet) getting out to the people and more and more are seeing the light aboutit being harmless even if they dont try it...im all for it im waiting on my med card barack! this glaucoma is killing me!

laugh.gif

In Cali it's almost TOO easy

Just go in with a "pain" or claim something on your body makes you uncomfortable and your good....... btw don't forget the $150

laugh.gif

went to the doc on sat at 4pm, walked out at 5pm with a recommendation, hit up the club on sunset blvd at 5:20 and got my medicine
75216d2888c73b2c778e9197bd8747553b6d327d.gif
99036e6f21778bc4c84839f029de7ce81ee1d4e3.gif

One more reason I can't wait to move to Cali...

I'm glad to smell change in the air and I'm not saying that sarcastically.

Im tryna be in California cause I don't think FL is getting medical marijuana anytime soon...since it will be up to state law.

Back
Top Bottom