A Third Of America's 18-34 Years Olds Live With Their Parents

is obama part of the blame?

• yes, obama is a joke

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no, obama is GOAT

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Honestly doesn't surprise me one bit
All my friends from college still live with their parents. Granted we just graduated last year. I really only know a few young people living on their own

That number is probably over 50% in Oakland/San Francisco and the rest of the immediate East Bay. 

Honestly, the notion of "I'm 18 do it's time to move out" was never really true. To me it's more of a cultural thing (better yet, a "I love my family" thing). I'd have no problem living with my family if I still lived back home.

We also live in a time where having a job STILL doesn't mean you're good to live on your own

If you live at home, help out your folks/pay some bills and are working your way to independence then it doesn't matter.

If you live at home, pay some bills and spend the extra money you could be saving then you are a certified bum.

I think that about covers it. (Live on my own, btw) 

Last edited:
26 y/o. 2 degrees. Scholarship for tuition for undergrad. Lived on my own paid for tuition on my own, books on my own,  car, bills on my own last 8 years. Racked up 50k+ debt.

Moved back home. Job 25 minutes away. STILL pay for my car, cell phone, insurance, loans. I do NOT pay rent, this is the BIGGEST expense. Paid for EVERYTHING for myself for the last 8 years of my life.

I know what it's like to be independent, and it has put me in 50,000+ in debt. Not taking out anymore loans, or living paycheck to check so I can have my own place.

there's no point in moving out to  move out 5 minutes away so I can be "independent" and pay extra 1k to RENT (Live in Cali).

Yeah, I'm mad at my situation

So what about those that went to Med/Law School and racked up even more debt? Would you not consider them adults if they lived at home for a year or two so they could pay down student loans?

I'm pretty sure you can also be self sufficient and be a man at the same while living with family.

Then again I guess it just depends on family culture and the situation.

I'm one of those kids...adults/men find a way.

I don't have much on the concept of 'manhood', I don't care what you wear, what you do, how much you make, how old you are, sexual orientation, hobbies, but if you take care of yourself and your family, to me, you're a man. Men figure it out, men take care of themselves and their family; playing it safe doesn't prepare you for that. When you're on your own and it's tighten up, live with your folks or be homeless, men figure it out.

Of course, who am I? Random dude on the Internet, but I consider you a child if you don't (not 'I can but I'd rather x'). I like children, they are interesting, but if a major life decision needed to be made, I'm not calling a child for advice. I need someone with that 'figure it out' mentality for me to take seriously, I know they're plans come from experience x balls; they may not always be right, but I can make decisions on future results, I don't know the future, so I make plans on experience x balls.

A million ways to be 'smart,' you choose the one you like, I prefer the world of men...no tony.

I think I don't worry about future debt because I know ill figure it out. After living on my own since 17, I know ill figure it out. I have that confidence, I work my butt off in order to make whatever I need happen. Loans are just another part of it.

Last edited:
student loan debt is disgusting. I have been paying since 2008 and havent made a dent. I havent lived at home since 14 but i couldnt imagine going back. If i was 110% down on my luck I know I could go kick it with my dad for a few months. But God has blessed me thus far. looking to buy a home at my next duty station.

Last edited:
I've lived at home all undergrad, and will for med school as well. I don't mind it at all, I enjoy spending time with my fam and helping out when they need me. Keeps me focused on school too...if I were living alone I'd be wilding out, I know myself

This makes sense.

I firmly believe this is why this generation is so soft and self centered.

A ton of grown children.

Everybody has a different path, just don't be one of those dudes who's been "stacking" for 5 years. I was lucky enough to move out at 18 and I'm 26, it wasn't gravy the whole time, but I don't regret it, and I've had some of the best times of my life so far.

My parents lived with me for a month two years ago while their house got renovated, and I don't see how people do it past age 20,I couldn't smash with my parents in my house because I didn't wanna disrespect them,it's was like I slowly reverted back to being a teenager

turned 27 on sunday... still living with mom by choice.

stacking money>living by yourself

26 and still here stacking. I'd say 60 percent of my friends live at home. Half of the others also live on campus while attending graduate school.

My bro is 29 and he might move back while attending law school.

Dudes out here (dc metro area) making 50k and still struggling.

Agreed do you . I live with my parents and I have two kids. My parents are old and alone . I help out with bills but on the real couldn't do it on my own rite now. My parents have always been cool with me .
I wanna bring breezies . Its cool . I wanna smoke in my space its cool . I wanna have company and bump loud music at 4 in the morning its cool. I have a separate entrance to where I stay. Back house studio .
My kids have they own room inside the house.

my neighbors a cop and stay with his folks.do you . Yeah I want to get my own place but id rather live comfy than struggle just to have my own place.

Last edited:
^ thats another thing, pride. Can't be too prideful.

I also wouldn't count dudes who pay the rent and take care of their parents. Like dude who said his mom is alone, aint nothing wrong with that.

question for yall

do you think moving out and struggling will build character and make you a stronger and more responsible and lead to you better managing your money?

I wanna bring breezies . Its cool . I wanna smoke in my space its cool . I wanna have company and bump loud music at 4 in the morning its cool. I have a separate entrance to where I stay. Back house studio .

my neighbors a cop and stay with his folks.do you . Yeah I want to get my own place but id rather live comfy than struggle just to have my own place.

I think that's disrespectful. Random knowing where my parents live? My mom meeting them? They gotta be up in the morning, I'm not keeping them up with my music.

Then, when your kids get older, what are they to expect? I don't live with my folks, not because it's easier living on my own, but because as much as my parents would like it, my mom told me that kids who live with their parents (not parents loving with kids, that's different) werent very good parents, they couldn't teach their kids the basics of living in the world. That's how I was raised. But yea, do you, not everyone wants to be me.

Last edited:
question for yall

do you think moving out and struggling will build character and make you a stronger and more responsible and lead to you better managing your money?

Nope.

I struggled like mug when I moved ou at 20.

Part of me wishes I would of stayed for a while because being 20 and on your own :x money wise :D socially.

Agreed do you . I live with my parents and I have two kids. My parents are old and alone . I help out with bills but on the real couldn't do it on my own rite now. My parents have always been cool with me .

:smh:

Last edited:

View media item 1007447

Staying with your parents is okay if you're trying to make a life for yourself and need some rent-free assistance.

But to bring two kids into the world before making it on your own? That's foolish.

26 years old.  Still living at home with mom.  Work full-time and go to school full-time.  Could I afford to move out? Probably.  Would I be living paycheck-to-paycheck and falling into the red every now and again due to unforeseen expenses? Most definitely. The cost of living on Long Island is no joke.

On the bright side, I'll be an RN next year (already have a job lined up) and I will be moving out with the quickness once that happens.  Until then, I'm gonna keep helping out with bills/household tasks and keep saving.

This like some fresh prince of bel air **** :lol:

It is what it is . I have lived on my own for a min when I was married. I work graveyard cuz I take care of my kids solo.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom