Advice Needed, Working with the Mentally Disabled Vol. You want to laugh, but you shouldn't

Originally Posted by shoemasta72

37-intredasting.jpg

30t6p3b.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

I worked with those people and still do from time to time. my GF brother has some issues as well so im around them all the time..what ive learned so far is that as much of an !%% as some of them can be ( somtimes they can't help it but watch for the ones who are playing it up cus they know they can) each one of em has something that settles them down and they really like. when they get out of hand you have to use that to your advantage..one lady had a imaginary friend..when she started actin up I would pick up the phone and act like I was callin em..she calmed right down..You really got to think outside the box with some of em..some like silly stuff like ballons or whatever..find what they like and use that. I mean some of em really got to be bribed to stay calm..It also dosent hurt to give an over the top amount of encouragement and make sure they know you really appriciate there effort no matter how small it was or what they accomplished. a little positive reinforment goes a looong way with them. and I know you say you dont want to laugh but I do sometimes they really are funny. its usually other people who pass judgement on you not the client. I mean if they hurt themselves you cant be laughin but alot of times they do funny stuff and I laugh and they laugh with me. it does take patience to work with them but it is usually good money and if you can overlook some stuff its not to bad.and most importantly...none of those people asked to be that way it was just something that happened so you always have to remember whatever they do there still people..theres plenty of people who are "normal" that I can't stand to be around and do all kinds of dumb stuff that gets to me but they chose to do it those clients dont ( most of the time ) so you just got to remember that

I worked with those people and still do from time to time. my GF brother has some issues as well so im around them all the time..what ive learned so far is that as much of an !%% as some of them can be ( somtimes they can't help it but watch for the ones who are playing it up cus they know they can) each one of em has something that settles them down and they really like. when they get out of hand you have to use that to your advantage..one lady had a imaginary friend..when she started actin up I would pick up the phone and act like I was callin em..she calmed right down..You really got to think outside the box with some of em..some like silly stuff like ballons or whatever..find what they like and use that. I mean some of em really got to be bribed to stay calm..It also dosent hurt to give an over the top amount of encouragement and make sure they know you really appriciate there effort no matter how small it was or what they accomplished. a little positive reinforment goes a looong way with them. and I know you say you dont want to laugh but I do sometimes they really are funny. its usually other people who pass judgement on you not the client. I mean if they hurt themselves you cant be laughin but alot of times they do funny stuff and I laugh and they laugh with me. it does take patience to work with them but it is usually good money and if you can overlook some stuff its not to bad.and most importantly...none of those people asked to be that way it was just something that happened so you always have to remember whatever they do there still people..theres plenty of people who are "normal" that I can't stand to be around and do all kinds of dumb stuff that gets to me but they chose to do it those clients dont ( most of the time ) so you just got to remember that

man I commend you for having the ability to work in these type of jobs. I myself can't.

When I was young my parents took me to a dentist office and their was this man with down syndrome. He started wilding out and they were not able to calm him down - that situation just freaked me out. Since then, every time I am around disabled people I am tense and can't be around them. But I am all for helping people, but do what is right for you.

man I commend you for having the ability to work in these type of jobs. I myself can't.

When I was young my parents took me to a dentist office and their was this man with down syndrome. He started wilding out and they were not able to calm him down - that situation just freaked me out. Since then, every time I am around disabled people I am tense and can't be around them. But I am all for helping people, but do what is right for you.

Originally Posted by Pig Love

OP, did you really ask how to do go about dealing with their annoying tendencies?

These are people that have serious afflictions and never had a chance.  

I'm glad I don't know you because you need to be slapped like a @@%**.
LeBron+James+Beyonce+Knowles+NBA+Star+Game+rPL7Esqeq_Pl.jpg

OP, did you really ask how to do go about dealing with their annoying tendencies?

These are people that have serious afflictions and never had a chance.  

I'm glad I don't know you because you need to be slapped like a @@%**.
LeBron+James+Beyonce+Knowles+NBA+Star+Game+rPL7Esqeq_Pl.jpg

Originally Posted by ksteezy

Originally Posted by do work son

now hold on. so because they have serious afflictions, they can't be annoying?

instead of telling him he needs to be slapped, why don't you offer something creative like ideas on how he can stay positive and become more patient?
its hard to understand if you never dealt first hand with people with these disabilities, its annoying, stressful and dangerous to ay the least, vie stuck myself with needles trying to draw blood from patients like this, at that point it doesn't matter if you are Ghandi, the first thought coming across your head is how bad you would like to knock them senseless, then the next second you remind yourself why you do what you do.
mad.gif

I've never had this thought in any of my experiences
eek.gif

I used to work with these kids all of the time growing up.

OP wrote  "sometimes I come in and just feel like backhanding them, or yelling at them but you just cant"

Ok, thank Jesus he realizes he can't slap the down syndrome kids, but who writes this? Who even thinks
like this? I don't think that dude is cut out for this job and thats understandable, most people are not. If
you work with these innocent people, these types of thoughts should never run through your head. Instead
maybe these situations should help OP realize how fortunate he is.

we are only human, is just as easy to feel rage and anger as it is to feel compassion and have patience....getting hurt and possibly catching a disease can test your patience easily....im not ashamed to say that i love my job and i was born to help the needy, but at times, yes i forget that they are handicapped even if its for just one or two seconds.
roll.gif
 talk to a nurse or doctor who's been on the field for over 10 years, and ask them if they never felt like knocking a patient out.

Originally Posted by ksteezy

Originally Posted by do work son

now hold on. so because they have serious afflictions, they can't be annoying?

instead of telling him he needs to be slapped, why don't you offer something creative like ideas on how he can stay positive and become more patient?
its hard to understand if you never dealt first hand with people with these disabilities, its annoying, stressful and dangerous to ay the least, vie stuck myself with needles trying to draw blood from patients like this, at that point it doesn't matter if you are Ghandi, the first thought coming across your head is how bad you would like to knock them senseless, then the next second you remind yourself why you do what you do.
mad.gif

I've never had this thought in any of my experiences
eek.gif

I used to work with these kids all of the time growing up.

OP wrote  "sometimes I come in and just feel like backhanding them, or yelling at them but you just cant"

Ok, thank Jesus he realizes he can't slap the down syndrome kids, but who writes this? Who even thinks
like this? I don't think that dude is cut out for this job and thats understandable, most people are not. If
you work with these innocent people, these types of thoughts should never run through your head. Instead
maybe these situations should help OP realize how fortunate he is.

we are only human, is just as easy to feel rage and anger as it is to feel compassion and have patience....getting hurt and possibly catching a disease can test your patience easily....im not ashamed to say that i love my job and i was born to help the needy, but at times, yes i forget that they are handicapped even if its for just one or two seconds.
roll.gif
 talk to a nurse or doctor who's been on the field for over 10 years, and ask them if they never felt like knocking a patient out.

Back
Top Bottom