Advice Needed, Working with the Mentally Disabled Vol. You want to laugh, but you shouldn't

I know that feel bro. I work with a kid with down syndrome. He's one of the baggers though but still #$@@+ with my patience sometimes (I'm a cashier). All I do is just let him have his way, be his friend, etc.

op, i don't see whats so funny about it.. you could learn a lot about yourself through this job. you should look at it as something that can help you grow as a person.

but then again, if you dont think you can handle it, its better for everyone if you just left on your own.

op, i don't see whats so funny about it.. you could learn a lot about yourself through this job. you should look at it as something that can help you grow as a person.

but then again, if you dont think you can handle it, its better for everyone if you just left on your own.

I work with patients with similar disabilities, and although at times it can be frustrating you just have to remind yourself why you are there...you have a job because they need you, in reality they put food on your table and a roof over your head, so who needs who more I ask myself, I came to the conclusion that for a little bit of patience and compassion I get to live a pretty good life....

The way you express yourself, you are not cut fir the job, find something else.

I work with patients with similar disabilities, and although at times it can be frustrating you just have to remind yourself why you are there...you have a job because they need you, in reality they put food on your table and a roof over your head, so who needs who more I ask myself, I came to the conclusion that for a little bit of patience and compassion I get to live a pretty good life....

My moms a CNA at a special care center (for disabled/mentally challenged people). She's been doing it for 18 years and when I go in there I think its depressing. Just seeing so many people who aren't going to experience some of the nicer things in life we take for granted. It ranges from infants to people in their 90s. I don't think you need to be in that type of job if you are already having trouble with it. You have to build relationships with those people first of all. Them talking back to you and not comprehending things isn't their fault, so what is there to get mad about?

My moms a CNA at a special care center (for disabled/mentally challenged people). She's been doing it for 18 years and when I go in there I think its depressing. Just seeing so many people who aren't going to experience some of the nicer things in life we take for granted. It ranges from infants to people in their 90s. I don't think you need to be in that type of job if you are already having trouble with it. You have to build relationships with those people first of all. Them talking back to you and not comprehending things isn't their fault, so what is there to get mad about?

Originally Posted by ksteezy

Thanks man, it definitely does make me appreciate the way I get to live a lot more, I guess I really was just venting, and I wanted to see how others who work with similar clients/patients dealt with it, because it is very frustrating at times and my bad for coming across as a prick at first, but those who work with these types of people understand what I'm dealing with.  Either way, I still wouldn't actually lash out at them in a violent or degrading manner, Its just challenging.  Im just looking for more positive ways to deal with the difficulties.  

Thanks man, it definitely does make me appreciate the way I get to live a lot more, I guess I really was just venting, and I wanted to see how others who work with similar clients/patients dealt with it, because it is very frustrating at times and my bad for coming across as a prick at first, but those who work with these types of people understand what I'm dealing with.  Either way, I still wouldn't actually lash out at them in a violent or degrading manner, Its just challenging.  Im just looking for more positive ways to deal with the difficulties.  

Originally Posted by stickyfingaz20

Frustration is normal, I've seen family members get frustrated with them, how are we not supposed to get frustrated?...but you must display patience above all....best of luck.

Originally Posted by stickyfingaz20

Frustration is normal, I've seen family members get frustrated with them, how are we not supposed to get frustrated?...but you must display patience above all....best of luck.

At a certain point you have to ask yourself "is it worth it?" Based on the way you've presented it, I think you are finding worth in it. You didn't start this thread complaining about it, you're asking for advice, which means you have a desire to make it a good situation. It's a tough gig, but if you find it rewarding (beyond money), and you get along with your co-workers and the clients, then I say stick with it. It's very hard to get through to people like that. I worked in daycamps for a few summers and we always had some kids that were developmentally disabled. Sometimes it'd take me an entire summer to really earn their trust and have them be comfortable with me. Put me in a much better position the following summer because I already had developed those relationships.

At a certain point you have to ask yourself "is it worth it?" Based on the way you've presented it, I think you are finding worth in it. You didn't start this thread complaining about it, you're asking for advice, which means you have a desire to make it a good situation. It's a tough gig, but if you find it rewarding (beyond money), and you get along with your co-workers and the clients, then I say stick with it. It's very hard to get through to people like that. I worked in daycamps for a few summers and we always had some kids that were developmentally disabled. Sometimes it'd take me an entire summer to really earn their trust and have them be comfortable with me. Put me in a much better position the following summer because I already had developed those relationships.

It'll help build up your patience and tolerance and you'll be much more temperament in everyday encounters.

It sounds like a very difficult job though, it must be even harder than doing daycare or working with children.

It'll help build up your patience and tolerance and you'll be much more temperament in everyday encounters.

It sounds like a very difficult job though, it must be even harder than doing daycare or working with children.

fail to see the humor. what's funny about "Cerebral palsy, schizophrenia, anxiety, Mild to Severe ******ation, Down syndrome, etc."?

it'll definitely help your patience and tolerance levels which will be good for you in the long run.

fail to see the humor. what's funny about "Cerebral palsy, schizophrenia, anxiety, Mild to Severe ******ation, Down syndrome, etc."?

it'll definitely help your patience and tolerance levels which will be good for you in the long run.

OP, did you really ask how to do go about dealing with their annoying tendencies?

These are people that have serious afflictions and never had a chance.  

I'm glad I don't know you because you need to be slapped like a @@%**.

Originally Posted by CWrite78

if you dont have the patience for it, then you need to find another job before you do anything stupid.

qft...to be honest i wouldnt be able to handle that job

Originally Posted by CWrite78

if you dont have the patience for it, then you need to find another job before you do anything stupid.

qft...to be honest i wouldnt be able to handle that job

OP, did you really ask how to do go about dealing with their annoying tendencies?

These are people that have serious afflictions and never had a chance.  

I'm glad I don't know you because you need to be slapped like a @@%**.

props to OP. I dont think I could do what he does, I know I'm not cut out for that type of work.

props to OP. I dont think I could do what he does, I know I'm not cut out for that type of work.

Back
Top Bottom